Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance or LR Dual Motor for commute?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To be fair that's in temperate weather. During a cold snap your charging time may be double that.

Wrong. It was in 20F weather, because my charging stops were all during the trip, i.e. when my battery was already at operating temperature.

EDIT: prior to .12 release, and if you knew enough about Teslas, and specifically Model 3....you could always add 5-10mph to your speed once you were close to the Supercharger to ensure it was warm enough. That was my trick. Tesla added in the on-route warming trick, which will actually use less energy in the long run. So that's nice.

Last edited:
That's why I added the explanation below it.

P.S. A Better Route Planner is only a shadow of reality. Arguments made based on those numbers are highly suspect.

You do tend to be somewhat longer between endpoints BUT that time isn't actually useful at the end with the ICE anyway, as you're recovering from the effects.

I guess some people find driving fatiguing. That's not the case for me unless it is terrible weather. The quiet and solitude of long drives is something I really like and tires me out a lot less than a day at work. I'm sure I'll do the trip in the Model 3 soon enough to feel the difference.

Are there any good route planners or do you just get in the car and go using the onboard nav and charging recommendations?

I guess some people find driving fatiguing. That's not the case for me unless it is terrible weather. The quiet and solitude of long drives is something I really like and tires me out a lot less than a day at work. I'm sure I'll do the trip in the Model 3 soon enough to feel the difference.

Are there any good route planners or do you just get in the car and go using the onboard nav and charging recommendations?
I do both for unfamiliar drives. A Better route planner to get an overall idea, and then the in car Nav for the trip.
The battery estimates in car are usually a little optimistic for me, but only by about 2-4% SOC remaining. So I just make sure to charge a little more than recommended to be safe. Also because I like to drive fast and not have to slow down to make it to the next stop.

• Informative
Reactions: woodguyatl
I do both for unfamiliar drives. A Better route planner to get an overall idea, and then the in car Nav for the trip.
The battery estimates in car are usually a little optimistic for me, but only by about 2-4% SOC remaining. So I just make sure to charge a little more than recommended to be safe. Also because I like to drive fast and not have to slow down to make it to the next stop.

Thx.

To expect substance from you? Maybe there's more issue with the 20" rims than I'd expect (I've never ridden on them) but on 18", with Pilot Sport 4S or MXM4, an 800 mile day trip in the Model 3 is like quiet trip to the grocery store. It is just flat out phenomenal at long trips. 350 mile trip to family that I used to semi-dread with the Camry XLE Hybrid, now it's a just-do-it thing without the fatigue washout to get over at the end.

Family friend, who works in marketing for dealerships and generally reels off a fairly healthy complement of ICE talking points, doesn't even try to take on this. :p

Like I said, I rode in all 3 models before I purchased mine. I couldn't tell my co-worker that the car is so damn noisy in the rear. As a driver or passenger, it isn't as noisy. Also as mentioned, the car is fine for your grocery hopping needs. It isn't as comfortable or quiet as my ICE cars for long trips. Noise after a long trip causes fatigue.

• Disagree
Reactions: SammichLover
Like I said, I rode in all 3 models before I purchased mine. I couldn't tell my co-worker that the car is so damn noisy in the rear. As a driver or passenger, it isn't as noisy. Also as mentioned, the car is fine for your grocery hopping needs. It isn't as comfortable or quiet as my ICE cars for long trips. Noise after a long trip causes fatigue.

depends on when it was built, too. they've cut down on wind noise, and if not...there's aftermarket products you can buy.

I'm still going to suspend disbelief that any part of an EV is louder than any ICE. But hey, you defend Camry to the death, good sir. :rolleyes:

Wrong. It was in 20F weather, because my charging stops were all during the trip, i.e. when my battery was already at operating temperature.

EDIT: prior to .12 release, and if you knew enough about Teslas, and specifically Model 3....you could always add 5-10mph to your speed once you were close to the Supercharger to ensure it was warm enough. That was my trick. Tesla added in the on-route warming trick, which will actually use less energy in the long run. So that's nice.
Not wrong, that was my exact experience. And no "not knowing enough about Teslas" wasn't a problem, my battery was warm. It's just that I needed 200 miles of range to ensure I'd make it through the next 100 miles. Maybe your car is magical and can still get 310 miles in 20 degree weather with the heater on while driving at 75. Alas, mine is not. Being condescending sure is fun!

Last edited:
I commute in mine (60 miles a day, sometimes 120). It's hardly a problem, it's not like it's temperamental or anything like some fast cars are.

If you like going fast then get the Performance. I don't regret it at all.

I think Autopilot offsets the small negatives in longer trips. I've come to enjoy being "forced" to relax and actually make my travel part of my trip. It's far less stressful (and healthier).

Well the used Performance I was eying sold. So now it's back to a $10,000 difference between the two. I think I'd be happy either way, but definitely want to try and go for the P3D.

Reactions: Nocturnal
Well the used Performance I was eying sold. So now it's back to a $10,000 difference between the two. I think I'd be happy either way, but definitely want to try and go for the P3D.
I will tell you the dual motor is VERY fast for regular driving. If I had the cash I would have ordered the P though, because why not?
If you want to ever track your car for sure the P. But if you just want fast and fun car the AWD model will probably be faster than any car you have ever owned. And my AWD car is usually the fastest car on the roads where I drive anyhow. I can't find anyone even worthy of teaching a lesson to. :(

depends on when it was built, too. they've cut down on wind noise, and if not...there's aftermarket products you can buy.

I'm still going to suspend disbelief that any part of an EV is louder than any ICE. But hey, you defend Camry to the death, good sir. :rolleyes:

I'm not defending anything. But you seem to claiming one over another without actual test rides. What do you think is the noise while driving on the road coming from a 2018 Camry vs a 2018 Model 3? Your disbelief is only because of what you experienced yet not even the same model years to compare.
What do you think I'm talking about in terms of noise? engine? For f... sake I'm talking about road noise.

• Funny
Reactions: ModelNforNerd
I'm not defending anything. But you seem to claiming one over another without actual test rides. What do you think is the noise while driving on the road coming from a 2018 Camry vs a 2018 Model 3? Your disbelief is only because of what you experienced yet not even the same model years to compare.
What do you think I'm talking about in terms of noise? engine? For f... sake I'm talking about road noise.
IMO people overestimate Tesla wind/road noise because there isn't an engine to help drown it out. That said, I have an august car and I definitely have some wind noise issues that I'm having Tesla look at. I'm sure it's a simple gasket issue.

Yeah, I must have just dreamt it all that it blows away everything I've had before, not even in the same ballpark, in terms of fatigue. Coincidentally top-of-the-line Camry included. :rolleyes:

IMO people overestimate Tesla wind/road noise because there isn't an engine to help drown it out. That said, I have an august car and I definitely have some wind noise issues that I'm having Tesla look at. I'm sure it's a simple gasket issue.
Lots of little things it can be. Some mirrors have whistling, particularly below highway speeds. Some windshields not quite match their roofs all the away across, I needed to address that myself. It was fine on the driver side but not the passenger side.

But for me it was more rattles. Stuff I'd never notice in other vehicles. It took a few months, and a few SC & Ranger visits, to really hammer them all out. Plus I carry next to nothing in the vehicle most of the time, since it is pretty easy for cargo to have internal rattles or tapping on the seat covers. I seatbelt down anything of size I'm able to that I do carry. Helps a lot with rattles.

Yeah, the car is so quiet it has turned me into that person. :oops:

Reactions: ModelNforNerd
Not wrong, that was my exact experience. And no "not knowing enough about Teslas" wasn't a problem, my battery was warm. It's just that I needed 200 miles of range to ensure I'd make it through the next 100 miles. Maybe your car is magical and can still get 310 miles in 20 degree weather with the heater on while driving at 75. Alas, mine is not. Being condescending sure is fun!

I use my seat heaters. It's not magic. It's included in the price.

Not to sound snobby here, but unless I'm being kidnapped, I have no business ever being seen in close enough proximity to a Camry to make people think I intend to be in one.

I know, I know....it's SPORTY now...they even run it at NASCAR.

Barf. It is a soulless appliance. Until they made the recent changes to it, it had all of the outward aesthetics of a dry eraseboard eraser.....

hard pass.

• Funny
Reactions: Knightshade
This is something of an issue, that optimal BEV cabin environment management is different than ICE. Primarily because of all the "free air heat", which is waste heat that gets tosses otherwise anyway. It isn't base operating knowledge of effectively everyone from decades of experience.

You will break a sweat and take off your winter coat with Model 3's seat heater set to High.