Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance or LR FSD?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My budget allows me to either purchase the LR with FSD or the Performance without FSD.

I do all city driving, rarely on the highway.

I placed my order last week for the LR, but I'm still not sure of the best route.

Also, this is my first Tesla.

Thanks for any insight!

For me, I would go with the Performace (and we did), only because you can add FSD later on. Elon has even hinted at a subscription option for FSD later this year (but we really know Elon time is always different than real time.)

If you are doing more city driving than the highway, I'm not sure how much FSD will help you at this moment. Stoplight and stopsign detection is showing promise, but no current driving on city streets itself has been released.

Reactions: Kelr316
Definitely Performance because anything less is uncivilized.

Jokes aside, FSD is purely not ready and won't pass regulatory approval until the next 2-3 years (Being hopeful). Even with folks that have FSD are saying it can be very "Buggy" and "Sketchy".

Take Smart Summon for example. It is barely Alpha but labeled as "Beta" in your settings. All of the YouTube videos and articles out there prove that FSD is simply not ready.

Save your $8k and enjoy driving your Performance Model Y.

I went the LR + FSD route. I use the FSD features every drive. I'd rarely use the extra power of the performance, and when I would, I probably shouldn't. I definitely wouldn't want the 21" wheels, lower suspension, or stiffer ride. The 19" wheels ride much smoother, last longer, cost way less, can be used below 45* F, and get better range. It just depends on your priorities.

Yes, the FSD is far from perfect, but the lane changes and auto exit/merge mean i need to take no action myself (other than holding the wheel) for the middle 90% of my commute.

Keep in mind the limitations of the OEM 21" tires. (I'm pretty sure they are P Zero tires.)

From tire rack's website:
https://m.tirerack.com/tires/descri...tireModel=P+Zero+(PZ4)&partnum=535YR1PZ4XLNCS

"Pirelli's warranty does not cover tires that develop compound cracking due to use in ambient temperatures below 45° Fahrenheit (7° Celsius), so the P Zero (PZ4), like all summer tires, is not intended to be serviced, stored nor driven in near-freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice."

Last edited:
Performance 100%

you have to consider when FSD is really going to be available and ready to use on public streets. Even if Elon perfects it, there are still regulators that need to be convinced.

so do you think you will own the car for the next 5-10 years (because it’s certainly not happening within the next 2-3 years)? Buy what you know you will use today, power.

plus you can always add FSD later

I was in the exact same position. I decided that since I could add FSD to Performance at some later date, but not the other way around ... Performance was the way to go. I'm sure that the fact that I already had a Performance 3 had no effect on my decision!

Having owned a Nissan Leaf, Chevy Volt, Model 3 and now with a Model Y, I rather go with Range then speed, the LR gives you more options when it’s time to go on long trips, I’m not into racing the car as the LR AWD is pretty fast already for me.

So Nissan Leaf was strictly for local driving because it lacked range, the model 3 is the Standard Range Plus version @ 230 miles now which means 2 extra stops to charge between San Diego and Las Vegas, the LR model Y just requires 1 stop around mid point of the trip.

If you can I would hold off till around 21 Sept when Battery Day announcements will come out, hopefully they will unveil the million mile battery or anything with +400 mile range. This will be a game changer.

Fred

Several folks have already given good advice. I would emphasize, try to figure out what will give *you* (and possibly your partner) the most joy. Those are the only opinions that matters.

If you want both equally and eventually, as others have pointed out, you can add FSD after the fact. So that's a point for performance.

The suggestion on skipping both (and investing the difference) is not a bad one.

What of the FSD features that are available now matter to you? For me it is Navigate On Autopilot (NOA) for freeway driving. I also wanted to play with the technology. This is a valid reason, Don't buy it because of expected/promised features. Wanting to experience the journey is one thing but expecting it to be "finished and polished" soon is another thing.