TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Performance P85 vs 85D

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Indpowr, Jan 1, 2017.

1. Indpowr

Indpowr Member

Little confused but, assume you guys know more than me .

85D is 422hp AWD
    0-60 = 4.4 / 4.2 is what I read

P85 is 416hp RWD ~100lbs lighter.
    0-60 = 4.2 but been recorded at 3.9

Just based on the above how is the P85 that much faster than a car with AWD. is the programing different in the 85D not as aggressive as the P? In the normal world of ICE AWD almost always quicker with the same HP.

Love to hear so feedback.

Attached Files:

2. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

The 85D is heavier. But for most of the 0-60 range, neither car is able to put down all of the power the battery can supply - they are both limited by the torque capabilities of the drive motors.

• Like x 1
  3. Indpowr

Indpowr Member

About 100lbs would that make the .2 difference in time? If P85 is at 3.9.that would make the 85D more in the 4.1 range.

But do they take off some torque limits of the 85D. The AWD should put the power down better.

4. davidc18

davidc18 Active Member

The P85 will feel much faster off the line than the 85D. The two small motors in the 85D deliver a very linear acceleration curve so it feels a lot slower from a complete stop.

5. Indpowr

Indpowr Member

So 85D is more refined as the GTR is more refined than a RWD Viper does not make it slower. it just means you don't feel the power.

Again I am a HP junkie so just curious. LOL

• Like x 1
  6. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

Each of the two smaller drive motors on the 85D is able to provide much less torque than the single large motor on the P85 - that's the main reason the 85D is much slower than the P85D (which is of course much faster than the P85.)

I'm not 100% certain how the overall torque from the 85D stacks up against the P85, though - there's a shortage of information.

• Informative x 1
  7. Indpowr

Indpowr Member

So 2 smaller vs 1 larger. makes a little more sense but, since 6.2 update the car is faster so seems to be programing limited from Tesla. but, the good news is less to stress means longer longevity (life) with little performance loss

8. Kenriko

Kenriko Member

2 smaller vs 1 larger.. though the P85D has the larger + 1 smaller (so a P85 with the smaller mother added up front)

• Love x 1
  9. Indpowr

Indpowr Member

Tease haha

I have a Twin Turbo V8 so power is fun buy, funds limited. Tesla will be my wife's DD.

10. FlatSix911

FlatSix911 918 Hybrid

According to the Model S wiki ... Tesla Model S - Wikipedia
    Both models have equal rated HP 417/420, but the 85D has much greater Torque 485/443.
    As a result of the increased Torque and AWD traction, the 85D should perform far better in the real world :cool:

upload_2017-1-1_14-54-44.png

• Informative x 1
  11. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

I've had a lot of trouble finding reliable primary sources for torque numbers, especially for the small motors. But your "large" difference in torque is pretty much eliminated by the difference in gearing (9.73:1 on all rear drive cars vs 9.12:1 on Ds)

• Informative x 1
  12. Indpowr

Indpowr Member

That's exactly my point very cool info.

13. Oil4AsphaultOnly

I don't have the exact data for this, but I suspect that the racing-by-the-numbers completely ignored the obvious fact of load-shifting. When power is applied, the center-of-mass is shifted to the rear and permits the rear tires to have max traction. This same load-shift would rob the front axle of a significant amount of traction in the 85D. Although the rear-axle has additional traction from that load-shift, its smaller rear-motor (relative to the P85) can't apply any more power - limiting how much of that awesome torque can actually be applied to accelerating the 85D. This difference in actual applied power should give you better performance from a P85 vs. an 85D.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  14. davidc18

davidc18 Active Member

P85D has the big motor in back and the small motor in front. In my experience the big motor cars are more "fun" to drive than the plain D cars. Lucky enough to have one of each.

• Like x 1
  15. thegruf

thegruf Active Member

this thread give some real world data
    0-60/30-50/50-70 comparative times for 70D/85D/P85D

fwiw I drive an 85D and have driven P85+ loaner whilst mine was at the SC.
    the 85D feels a LOT faster than the P85 even if the times are similar, I believe the reason for this is the software ramps the power to the motor much faster with AWD than RWD as essentially there is much more confidence it won't break traction.

• Like x 1
  16. Indpowr

Indpowr Member

#16 Indpowr, Jan 1, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2017
    Good to know. I test drove the 100D in L mode it felt fast but not scary fast. I have not drive anything other than the 100D and 70D.

17. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

I assume you meant you drove a P100D in Lakeland, since the 100D is not currently available (widely speculated to be announced in the next month or so) The P100D is the fastest Tesla at the moment, though if it isn't in Ludicrous mode it is software limited.

18. Indpowr

Indpowr Member

Nope in Wpb and rep changed the mode. Rep was Bryan it's changed my L to Lakeland haha FB_IMG_1483317197458.jpg