Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance pack for the Model S ? ( was the Plaid Plus)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are there any details yet on the performance pack for the Model S ? When they cancelled the Plaid Plus they were going to announce the specs for the enhanced model ( I think called the performance pack) with details of the tires, carbon ceramic brakes, etc needed to get the Model S below the magic 2 second barrier.

Presumably anyone who ordered a Plaid Plus is screaming for the upgrade ( and wanting to know how much it will cost.....)

Hm interesting, I haven't heard of anything regarding this. Was there talk about this previously?

While I'm not getting a Plaid, I'd be interested in a "boost" type upgrade for the Long Range, which in itself is pretty quick. Well technically it isn't the "Long Range" anymore. :p

Similar to the Model 3, would be nice for a performance upgrade for another $2K.

Reactions: Jpandes
Shamoo, if you look at the specs for the ModelS Plaid there is a sneaky little asterisk and + sign. Scroll right down and you eventually find the citation “when equipped with the proper wheels and tires( available fall 2021)”. I believe the talk was this might include carbon ceramic brakes, tires, wheels and a system upgrade. If you ordered a Plaid Plus, you might be a little peeved that it was withdrawn. If it is the performance you want, you will need the enhanced car, with the “performance pack”

Shamoo, if you look at the specs for the ModelS Plaid there is a sneaky little asterisk and + sign. Scroll right down and you eventually find the citation “when equipped with the proper wheels and tires( available fall 2021)”. I believe the talk was this might include carbon ceramic brakes, tires, wheels and a system upgrade. If you ordered a Plaid Plus, you might be a little peeved that it was withdrawn. If it is the performance you want, you will need the enhanced car, with the “performance pack”

Ah yes, but based on my reading here and other forums, general consensus is this is related to a software upgrade to bring the top speed from 155/165 (whatever it is) to 200mph.

But you could be on to something because you can't just download a new set of tires. Maybe there are other items that come along with this.

Fairly certain it involves new brakes.
What would lead you to be “fairly certain” about this? As far as I can tell there’s zero evidence to suggest that and the only speculation I’ve seen on the subject has been yours.

Not that I’m disagreeing with the need - everything we know about the Plaid brakes so far would not have me trusting them to haul 5,000 pounds down from 200mph in a hurry.

I'm pretty certain most aftermarket performance solutions will be better and cheaper than what Tesla will provide.

Although it'll be interesting to see what direction Tesla will go. I was pretty surprised the Long Range (oops, I should stop calling it that :p) is exactly the same as the Plaid in terms of body, brakes, suspension, etc.

What we DO have is promises of tires to unlock 200mph "in the Fall 2021" (which is... now?), as well as 20" ZeroG wheels that are in the EPC (but not yet available), as well as the precedent of the Model 3 Track pack, which includes wheels, tires, brake pads, and higher performance brake fluid. That's pretty much what the Plaid needs, but they're also testing an active aero wing at the Nurburgring... it's unknown whether that will be aftermarket or factory only.

On the other hand, we have Elon tweeting that track mods can be done 3rd party to make it faster without Tesla involvement, which is contraindicative to the above. Sooooo it's anyone's guess, haha.

Carbon ceramic brake offering for the Plaid......
Should have been 8k to 10k. 20k? Nope. Not for me.

Reactions: DukeofURL
Are there any details yet on the performance pack for the Model S ? When they cancelled the Plaid Plus they were going to announce the specs for the enhanced model ( I think called the performance pack) with details of the tires, carbon ceramic brakes, etc needed to get the Model S below the magic 2 second barrier.

Presumably anyone who ordered a Plaid Plus is screaming for the upgrade ( and wanting to know how much it will cost.....)
They Do exist for the pre-Plaid models. And they are awesome: https://www.steinbauer.cc/de/

Hm interesting, I haven't heard of anything regarding this. Was there talk about this previously?

While I'm not getting a Plaid, I'd be interested in a "boost" type upgrade for the Long Range, which in itself is pretty quick. Well technically it isn't the "Long Range" anymore. :p

Similar to the Model 3, would be nice for a performance upgrade for another $2K.
If they offer a performance upgrade for MS Long Range, I might be tempted to flip my '17 P100D and buy the LR. I still have a MS LR reservation at the $78k price.

I'd guess that the power in the plaid is tapped out and won't be increased without a new battery. That 100 kWhr battery is really being pushed to the limits already with 818 kW peak discharge. The motors might be able to do more with a bigger battery, like was planned in the Plaid+. That will happen in a new car, eventually.

I think I'd be fine with the stock brakes slowing the car down from near 200 mph ONCE with lots of time to cool after that. The upgraded brakes are not really about increasing braking force, but increasing heat handling and fade resistance. They are important for dissipating heat from repeated high speed stops.

Reactions: jaguar36
There is a HUGE difference between track and drag performance. While Tesla is pretty good at the latter, there is a long way to go in the former. It would require a full redesign of major components (not just brakes) and, given their focus on 3/Y, I doubt it would happen. May be we will see it with the Roadster when/if it comes out.

There is a HUGE difference between track and drag performance. While Tesla is pretty good at the latter, there is a long way to go in the former. It would require a full redesign of major components (not just brakes) and, given their focus on 3/Y, I doubt it would happen. May be we will see it with the Roadster when/if it comes out.

True, although even without a track mode, the Plaid beats other very fast sedans around a track:

True, although even without a track mode, the Plaid beats other very fast sedans around a track:
Have you noticed that YT is full of Tesla drag racing and very little of actual track performance? Track racing is much more than torque and horse power. Model S suspension is average, the brakes are surprisingly soft (regeneration is not enough on the track), the traction control is atrocious (there are videos how professional drivers are actually fighting it on the track). While traction control could be solved with FW updates the rest require some serious hardware. Without it, Tesla is not a serious track car. It is a very technologically advanced family sedan but not a track or luxury car (that is a whole other topic).

Have you noticed that YT is full of Tesla drag racing and very little of actual track performance? Track racing is much more than torque and horse power. Model S suspension is average, the brakes are surprisingly soft (regeneration is not enough on the track), the traction control is atrocious (there are videos how professional drivers are actually fighting it on the track). While traction control could be solved with FW updates the rest require some serious hardware. Without it, Tesla is not a serious track car. It is a very technologically advanced family sedan but not a track or luxury car (that is a whole other topic).

You didn't watch the video.

The Model 3 with track mode is pretty nice on the track. Model S plaid with track mode and upgraded brakes will be a monster.

Reactions: Boza