Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Package on Performance Model

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My point was that things have clearly changed since then and new relevant information could be provided...

Oh well....maybe more tweets are on the way.

I'm trying to get this information because it could possibly affect my order. The only reason I want the performance upgrade is because the performance upgrade might include many things not listed such as upgraded suspension and things of that nature.
Hopefully Elon tweets out some specifics somehow.

I'm trying to get this information because it could possibly affect my order. The only reason I want the performance upgrade is because the performance upgrade might include many things not listed such as upgraded suspension and things of that nature.
We're in the same boat there. Brake and chassis/suspension differences are all I'm interested in--the big wheels, stick-on bits, and even top speed unlock don't matter one bit to me.

You guys should order so that you can take delivery and report back if the $5k upgrade is worth it, all hopefully while I can still edit my order :p After poking around the configurator images a bit I started to suspect that the bigger rotors only come with the 20" wheels, so I pulled the trigger with the Performance Upgrade checked.

• Love
Reactions: Garlan Garner
That would indeed be fantastic news... though pretty weird they wouldn't mention an entire different suspension when people are making their buying decision.

Who is the in-the-know source that gave you the info directly from Tesla?
Agreed, but this has always been the case with Tesla doing a poor job properly communicating the details and specifications which enthusiasts care most about. Then again, they have a product that is so sought after, people will buy it regardless. Think about it, nowhere on the configurator does Tesla even mention horsepower or torque figures! There's not another OEM in existence who could pull that one off....

As for the suspension, I didn't receive word that it's an entirely new suspension, just that there were additional "chassis enhancements" beyond the performance brakes so I interpreted that as possibly a sportier suspension tune (stiffer, lower, etc.), but that's just my best guess.

Regarding my source, they are a decently high ranking individual with about 6 years at the company, and split their time between Palo Alto HQ, Fremont and the Design Studio.

ive pushed my MS p85d pretty hard on twisty roads and to be honest the brakes on these are crap after a few hard applications ie 70 down to 20mph for a tight bend they fade pretty bad, but on a good note i havent snapped a rim off yet....

I think this comes down to pad material. Whatever they are using seems to be pretty close in behavior to a basic organic pad. Replace with ceramic or semi-metallic and you will probably see quite an improvement, although they may have a bit less bite when cold.

Agreed, but this has always been the case with Tesla doing a poor job properly communicating the details and specifications which enthusiasts care most about. Then again, they have a product that is so sought after, people will buy it regardless. Think about it, nowhere on the configurator does Tesla even mention horsepower or torque figures! There's not another OEM in existence who could pull that one off....

As for the suspension, I didn't receive word that it's an entirely new suspension, just that there were additional "chassis enhancements" beyond the performance brakes so I interpreted that as possibly a sportier suspension tune (stiffer, lower, etc.), but that's just my best guess.

Regarding my source, they are a decently high ranking individual with about 6 years at the company, and split their time between Palo Alto HQ, Fremont and the Design Studio.

The 20" wheel package- even before the Performance pack existed- included a change to the rear suspension to make the alignment correct with the 20s (might have been different upper arms, don't recall specifically)....technically that's a "chassis enhancement" so it's possible that's all they meant.

I get they have lots of buyers, but I can't imagine I'm the only one who thinks 16k is a waste of $ if all you get are brakes only useful on a track, wheels bigger than I want them, and 1 second 0-60 improvement. So while I'm buying a model 3 either way, I'd potentially be buying a significantly more expensive one if there really are other significant performance changes they just haven't bothered to mention.

I've got to keep this car in the $60k range, so I'm going to have to choose between Performance Package vs. AWD + Autopilot. To make matters worse, I've got to get this pre-ordered by tomorrow to take advantage of the Premium Connectivity.

I'm having a very difficult time justifying the $11k difference. "Additional upgrades, exclusive to Performance" is just killing me - I've got to know specifically what's so much more expensive in this configuration. I debated calling customer service, but I'm gleaming from this thread that may be a fool's errand?

The 20" wheel package- even before the Performance pack existed- included a change to the rear suspension to make the alignment correct with the 20s (might have been different upper arms, don't recall specifically)....technically that's a "chassis enhancement" so it's possible that's all they meant.

I think I read the rear fore link changes (due to increased power?). They may also adjust things to get the wheel as aligned with the drive unit as possible to reduce strain on the half shafts.

Recent video may have been a test of the chassis ability to withstand the P drive unit torque..

I've got to keep this car in the $60k range, so I'm going to have to choose between Performance Package vs. AWD + Autopilot. To make matters worse, I've got to get this pre-ordered by tomorrow to take advantage of the Premium Connectivity.

I'm having a very difficult time justifying the $11k difference. "Additional upgrades, exclusive to Performance" is just killing me - I've got to know specifically what's so much more expensive in this configuration. I debated calling customer service, but I'm gleaming from this thread that may be a fool's errand?

From what I can gather, the Performance Option without Performance Package is just essentially is a software unlocked AWD with binned motor for 3.5 sec acceleration; same brakes as normal AWD

The performance package gets you upgraded Brake calipers and rotors, spoiler, 20 inch wheels, aluminum pedals, and 155mph top speed unlock.

The only unknown is if the Performance package also has a modified suspension or not.

Reactions: Garlan Garner
From what I can gather, the Performance Option without Performance Package is just essentially is a software unlocked AWD with binned motor for 3.5 sec acceleration; same brakes as normal AWD

The performance package gets you upgraded Brake calipers and rotors, spoiler, 20 inch wheels, aluminum pedals, and 155mph top speed unlock.

The only unknown is if the Performance package also has a modified suspension or not.
I agree 100%.

Elon stated somewhere that there are some suspension modifications and I can't imagine the modifications NOT being on the Performance Upgraded Model 3.

I originally ordered the Performance package, but I updated my order to remove it. I too wish there was more detailed description of what is actually included vs not.

The primary reason I made my change is I think the 20" wheels will kill range significantly. The 310 mile range is definitely only possible for the Aeros on 18". The range on 20" wheels might be as much as 15% less given the larger wheels and lack of Aero covers. That would bring range down to 263.5 miles. That's a pretty significant difference and could be the difference between needing a supercharger stop or not.

I also think the 18" wheels have a good chance at being faster overall, since they have less mass and will give the car higher final drive ratio. 155 vs 145 mph top speed is completely irrelevant since I will never drive the car that fast. And for those that try, I would expect it to take a very long stretch of road and that it will not be able to maintain that speed for very long anyways.

Take a look at C&D tests here: Effects of Upsized Wheels and Tires Tested

I originally ordered the Performance package, but I updated my order to remove it. I too wish there was more detailed description of what is actually included vs not.

The primary reason I made my change is I think the 20" wheels will kill range significantly. The 310 mile range is definitely only possible for the Aeros on 18". The range on 20" wheels might be as much as 15% less given the larger wheels and lack of Aero covers. That would bring range down to 263.5 miles. That's a pretty significant difference and could be the difference between needing a supercharger stop or not.

I also think the 18" wheels have a good chance at being faster overall, since they have less mass and will give the car lower final drive ratio. 155 vs 145 mph top speed is completely irrelevant since I will never drive the car that fast. And for those that try, I would expect it to take a very long stretch of road and that it will not be able to maintain that speed for very long anyways.

Take a look at C&D tests here: Effects of Upsized Wheels and Tires Tested
So you don't believe Tesla's posted Model 3 statics either? All 3 models have 310 miles of range?

They seem to have nailed the Model S and X ranges over the years. Why would they get this one wrong?

Its amazing to me how many people don't believe Tesla and Elons statistics but are dying to get the car.

But how much more than 310 will P vs P+ vs AWD vs RWD have? :D

Its posted that the ranges are the same. That's what I believe they are until otherwise proven.

There is no value in trying to disprove things such as this unless : For example - your job is exactly 150 miles from your house and you want to get from work back home without range anxiety.

Otherwise if you would still buy the car even if it only had 250 miles of range....then what are we talking about?

Its posted that the ranges are the same. That's what I believe they are until otherwise proven.

There is no value in trying to disprove things such as this unless : For example - your job is exactly 150 miles from your house and you want to get from work back home without range anxiety.

Otherwise if you would still buy the car even if it only had 250 miles of range....then what are we talking about?

If a person cares about the maximum range (for reason such as long trips/ additional margin in winter or rain/ sporty driving/ maximum efficiency) then they care, not my place to judge.

Regarding reported vs tested range:

Tesla could be underselling Model 3’s range and charging capacity, reveals EPA document
Tesla Model 3 actually has 334 miles of range according to EPA data