Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Package on Performance Model

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So you don't believe Tesla's posted Model 3 statics either? All 3 models have 310 miles of range?

They seem to have nailed the Model S and X ranges over the years. Why would they get this one wrong?

Its amazing to me how many people don't believe Tesla and Elons statistics but are dying to get the car.

@Garlan Garner
Please accept this reply in the way it was intended, out of genuine concern. I'm worried about you, that you will become one of jaded when your experience does not live up to your expectations with Tesla. Like all things in life, Tesla should be viewed through the shades of grey that are reality, not black and white. Look, I love my Model S, and the Tesla brand and mission, but they are not without their faults. Of course my wife isn't perfect either, but I still love her. See how that works?

Notably to your comment about S and X, the Design studio used to actually show that range went down with larger wheel options, but it has since been modified to no longer have that view. This was a marketing decision on Tesla's part. It's likely Tesla is still following the rule of law because the rules don't require differentiation for wheels.
See the discussion here: Range penalty for 21" wheels vs 19"
Edit: Also this Electrek article: Tesla Model S and Model X: Here’s how wheel size can affect efficiency

A few other history highlights for you:

1. The original P85D was marketed as having 762 horsepower. In reality had 463.
Stop the Press! Tesla announces REAL HP numbers for P85D and P90L

2. Tesla sold a lot of cars in 2017 that came with Enhanced Autopilot which barely worked. Some people took Tesla's word for it. It made many folks angry.

3. The same thing happened with the promises around FSD. Some people leased cars with that option on 2-3 year leases, which never got anything for it.

My point is blindly following anything in life will lead you to disappointment.

Last edited:
If a person cares about the maximum range (for reason such as long trips/ additional margin in winter or rain/ sporty driving/ maximum efficiency) then they care, not my place to judge.

Regarding reported vs tested range:

Tesla could be underselling Model 3’s range and charging capacity, reveals EPA document
Tesla Model 3 actually has 334 miles of range according to EPA data
I agree 100%

Glad to see that the Model 3 is doing better than reported. Its a win/win.

The tires that come with the 20s will have better grip (better acceleration). You'd have to replace the ones on the 18s.

You may be right about this. Though it's probably a bigger factor on the RWD vs AWD drivetrain. For the Model S P100D, I recall reading some of the best 1/4 mile times are for cars with 19" wheels. 0-60 may favor the 21"s

That said, I'll probably drive the original tires until replacements are needed before upgrading.

@Garlan Garner
Please accept this reply in the way it was intended, out of genuine concern. I'm worried about you, that you will become one of jaded when your experience does not live up to your expectations with Tesla. Like all things in life, Tesla should be viewed through the shades of grey that are reality, not black and white. Look, I love my Model S, and the Tesla brand and mission, but they are not without their faults. Of course my wife isn't perfect either, but I still love her. See how that works?

Notably to your comment about S and X, the Design studio used to actually show that range went down with larger wheel options, but it has since been modified to no longer have that view. This was a marketing decision on Tesla's part. It's likely Tesla is still following the rule of law because the rules don't require differentiation for wheels.
See the discussion here: Range penalty for 21" wheels vs 19"

A few other history highlights for you:

1. The original P85D was marketed as having 762 horsepower. In reality had 463.
Stop the Press! Tesla announces REAL HP numbers for P85D and P90L

2. Tesla sold a lot of cars in 2017 that came with Enhanced Autopilot which barely worked. Some people took Tesla's word for it. It made many folks angry.

3. The same thing happened with the promises around FSD. Some people leased cars with that option on 2-3 year leases, which never got anything for it.

My point is blindly following anything in life will lead you to disappointment.
Thanks for your kind words and concern. I hear you loud an clearly and I get it. I understand what you are saying.

The only reason I might tend to stick to my guns about my excitement and possible over the top enthusiasm is because I'm seeing constant videos and such of people that aren't like me on youtube and such.

There are so many that did not have any expectations buying their tesla other than saving gas, however the added features and such has caused them to create fantastic video reviews. I have done a ton of research through phone calls to Fremont as well as the local Tesla store to all of the fantastic podcasts and most helpful - short sellers ( naysayers ).
I have seen very few horrible reviews concerning performance and the like of their Tesla experience and hope that I won't be in that crowd.

Thank you for your kind words of concern as they won't go unappreciated.

Agreed, but this has always been the case with Tesla doing a poor job properly communicating the details and specifications which enthusiasts care most about. Then again, they have a product that is so sought after, people will buy it regardless. Think about it, nowhere on the configurator does Tesla even mention horsepower or torque figures! There's not another OEM in existence who could pull that one off....

As for the suspension, I didn't receive word that it's an entirely new suspension, just that there were additional "chassis enhancements" beyond the performance brakes so I interpreted that as possibly a sportier suspension tune (stiffer, lower, etc.), but that's just my best guess.

Regarding my source, they are a decently high ranking individual with about 6 years at the company, and split their time between Palo Alto HQ, Fremont and the Design Studio.

Well please tell your high up friend to fix the darn website and clearly spell it out! this speculation is ridiculous and beyond frustrating...:cool:

and yes of course the top speed is software limited... these cars can easily go faster. but the sacrifice to going faster is, longevity...

• Funny
Reactions: ℬête Noire
The tires that come with the 20s will have better grip (better acceleration). You'd have to replace the ones on the 18s.
You may be right about this. Though it's probably a bigger factor on the RWD vs AWD drivetrain. For the Model S P100D, I recall reading some of the best 1/4 mile times are for cars with 19" wheels. 0-60 may favor the 21"s

That said, I'll probably drive the original tires until replacements are needed before upgrading.
Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires (same ones that the 20" wheel package comes with) are $211 each in 235/45R18 to fit the aero wheels... $844 + balance & install gets you basically the same grip as the 20" wheel package (235/35R20--same width, ~same overall diameter, just stiffer sidewalls).

I've got to keep this car in the $60k range, so I'm going to have to choose between Performance Package vs. AWD + Autopilot. To make matters worse, I've got to get this pre-ordered by tomorrow to take advantage of the Premium Connectivity.

I'm having a very difficult time justifying the $11k difference. "Additional upgrades, exclusive to Performance" is just killing me - I've got to know specifically what's so much more expensive in this configuration. I debated calling customer service, but I'm gleaming from this thread that may be a fool's errand?
Autopilot all the way. I'm a sucker for “performance” or actual performance upgrades. But if trying to keep it in the $60k range, Autopilot will always win.
The AWD car is likely a low 4-second car to 60. Tesla has sandbagged their times before.

Autopilot all the way. I'm a sucker for “performance” or actual performance upgrades. But if trying to keep it in the $60k range, Autopilot will always win.
The AWD car is likely a low 4-second car to 60. Tesla has sandbagged their times before.

I eventually pulled the trigger on the Performance Edition in red. I agree with your every sentiment...and yet, I kept going back to the same points:
  • Autopilot can be purchased later
  • Performance rims/tires can be purchased later
  • I'm virtually guaranteed delivery no later than Q3/Q4
Other items, such as aluminum pedals and spoiler are applied after delivery...which feels like some aftermarket nonsense that can also be purchased later if i wanted it (which I don't). White seats are pretty, but would ultimately cause me huge anxiety, so I passed on those as well.

Having said all this, I won't lie, guys and gals...I still feel like I pulled the trigger on the PE because of the accelerated delivery time more than any other one factor. Yes, 0 - 60 in 3.5 is crazy...but if I drive around everywhere doing that my wife would murder me.

• Love
Reactions: e-FTW
Are there pictures of the M3 with the boot spoiler?
Franz had one
4-umoexcz.jpg

A look at Tesla Chief Designer’s stunning custom Model 3

Reactions: Hayden and e-FTW
Reactions: e-FTW
Larger brake rotors with red calipers (really beneficial only on the track), 20" wheels, much better rubber, carbon spoiler, aluminum pedals.

I ordered it mostly for the brakes. Will be selling the 20" wheels to hopefully break even on the aftermarket 19's I already have waiting.

Which aftermarket 19’s do u have waiting???

I don’t like the looks of the aero 18 but don’t wanna edit and pay for the 20” and delay my order.
What color wheels look best for MSM? Since i’m Getting the p3D model without 20” wheel, why don’t they allow a $1500 upgrade for the 19” wheels.