Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Package on Performance Model

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was at the Westmont store yesterday and asked about this. They called twice ( not sure who ) and confirmed that the top speed is a result of the slightly larger size of the combination of the rim and the rubber tire.
Whomever they called was misinformed. The 20" wheel has the same outer diameter and circumference as both the 19" and 18" once tires are installed. The increased top speed is likely just a software unlock to allow full rpm of the motors.

Reactions: ℬête Noire
The increased top speed is likely just a software unlock to allow full rpm of the motors.

There is no such thing as a "full rpm of (electric) motor".
It will rotate with the frequency the inverter creates. Inverter will create what computer demands.
Of course, as long as wires don't melt, rotors don't do Rapid Unscheduled Disassembly and bearings do not suddenly decide to seize up.
At high rpm such things tend to start to happen, also such things which accelerate wear and tear on mechanical components increasing the risk of failure.
Increased risk of failure means higher count of failed units and higher warranty costs.

Tesla bins their motors to find exceptionally stable units that have lower vibrations and can be pushed to higher frequency without drastically lowerinh their lifetime. It is still lower hence a bit higher warranty reservations.

@Garlan Garner
The 20 inch tires might be W speed rated (168 MPH) vs V (149 MPH) for the 18s...
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=35
18's are still W rated.
Screen Shot 2018-06-28 at 8.22.31 AM.png

There is no such thing as a "full rpm of (electric) motor".
It will rotate with the frequency the inverter creates. Inverter will create what computer demands.
Of course, as long as wires don't melt, rotors don't do Rapid Unscheduled Disassembly and bearings do not suddenly decide to seize up.
At high rpm such things tend to start to happen, also such things which accelerate wear and tear on mechanical components increasing the risk of failure.
Increased risk of failure means higher count of failed units and higher warranty costs.

Tesla bins their motors to find exceptionally stable units that have lower vibrations and can be pushed to higher frequency without drastically lowerinh their lifetime. It is still lower hence a bit higher warranty reservations.
Full RPM of rear motor is 17900 RPM. Check the manual.

Can someone get ahold of a sales rep and confirm?

I think that:

145mph to 155mph is just a software unlock (don't really care, I'll never hit it.

Larger calipers and rotors are included without getting the "Performance Package" - it's only a cosmetic painting of the calipers red

Whomever they called was misinformed. The 20" wheel has the same outer diameter and circumference as both the 19" and 18" once tires are installed. The increased top speed is likely just a software unlock to allow full rpm of the motors.
I called myself and I was assured its not a software limited thing. the diameter of the 20 inch combination of rim and rubber is 5/8 of an inch larger.

Can someone get ahold of a sales rep and confirm?

I think that:

145mph to 155mph is just a software unlock (don't really care, I'll never hit it.

Larger calipers and rotors are included without getting the "Performance Package" - it's only a cosmetic painting of the calipers red
Just call Tesla. Don't call a sales rep.

The sales rep I saw last week tried to put the tow hook in the frunk where the clips to hold the groceries bags were.....and told me it was for something crazy....I didn't even listen because it was sooooo embarrassing.

Its not dependent on math. Not all rubber has the same sidewall height.

You can have an 18 inch rim with a 5 in sidewall or a 3 inch sidewall. What tire and sidewall height is Tesla using on each of their tires.
Those are the exact tire specs pulled from the Model 3 Owner's Manual.

Even if the 20's were somehow 5/8" larger in diameter as you said, the top speed would only increase ~2.2% from 145mph to 148mph.

Reactions: ℬête Noire
What I didn't ask was:

Do the larger brake calipers and suspension updates come with ALL performance Model 3's?

Or will I have to purchase the performance upgrade on the performance Model 3 to get the larger brake calipers and such?

I would like to know as well what changes from AWD to P other than faster 0-60.

Because from LR to AWD you are getting a motor and an improvement in 0-60mph of 0.6 sec per Tesla for $4,000.

From AWD to P for you get and improvement of 1sec in the 0-60 for $11,000 and what else do we get?

Its not dependent on math. Not all rubber has the same sidewall height.

You can have an 18 inch rim with a 5 in sidewall or a 3 inch sidewall.

The aspect ratio in the tire spec literally tells you the sidewall height as a ratio. That's what the number means.

How To Read Tire Sizes | Goodyear Auto Service

Goodyear on how to read tire specs said:
Aspect Ratio
Is the ratio of the height of the tire's cross-section to its width. The two-digit number after the slash mark in a tire size is the aspect ratio. For example, in a size P215/65 R15 tire, the 65 means that the height is equal to 65% of the tire's width. The bigger the aspect ratio, the bigger the tire's sidewall will be.

Whoever you spoke to at Tesla is wrong (which happens reasonably often), the previous posters math is accurate.[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

The aspect ratio in the tire spec literally tells you the sidewall height as a ratio. That's what the number means.

How To Read Tire Sizes | Goodyear Auto Service

Whoever you spoke to at Tesla is wrong (which happens reasonably often), the previous posters math is accurate.
[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]
I don't have a problem knowing or reading the tire size. Its kindergarten math.

My 1st question is: What makes the 10 MPH difference? - Even though - I will never test it or use it.

My 2nd ( and much more important ) question is: Will the difference it tires affect my 0-60 times? Keeping in mind that there might be other changes that accompany the 20" tires. Tesla hasn't been entirely clear as to what comes in the Performance Upgrade package on the Performance Model 3.

I don't have a problem knowing or reading the tire size. Its kindergarten math.

Then your previous claims of "Its not dependent on math" and that we "don't know" the sidewall size make even less sense.

it's exactly dependent on math- as far as tire sizes go. And the tire specs tell us the sidewalls.

Which is why the explanation you got from the Tesla person made so little sense.

My 1st question is: What makes the 10 MPH difference? - Even though - I will never test it or use it.

At this point, since both tires are rated for speeds over 155, there's only 2 possible explanations-

1) It's just a software unlock (more likely)

2) There's some bizarre instability that only happens above 145 mph that is fixed by the spoiler included in the "performance" pack (this is exceedingly unlikely- but is the only, relevant, mechanical difference we know of between the 18"P and the 20"P)

My 2nd ( and much more important ) question is: Will the difference it tires affect my 0-60 times?

Given both versions list the same 0-60 spec, obviously not.

Then your previous claims of "Its not dependent on math" and that we "don't know" the sidewall size make even less sense.

it's exactly dependent on math- as far as tire sizes go. And the tire specs tell us the sidewalls.

Which is why the explanation you got from the Tesla person made so little sense.

At this point, since both tires are rated for speeds over 155, there's only 2 possible explanations-

1) It's just a software unlock (more likely)

2) There's some bizarre instability that only happens above 145 mph that is fixed by the spoiler included in the "performance" pack (this is exceedingly unlikely- but is the only, relevant, mechanical difference we know of between the 18"P and the 20"P)

Given both versions list the same 0-60 spec, obviously not.
If you want to argue? - Aint gonna happen.

Called Tesla as they just told me .5 hours ago that there are no software limits on any Performance versions.

Please share with us what they tell you.

Tesla / Elon and the crew obviously don't know what they are talking about.