Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Paranoid? - Potential Security Issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just drove home down Central Avenue and noticed in my rear view mirror, keeping a safe distance back, a late model grey metallic Dodge Charger. It appeared to be a higher performance than average version, but not a Hellcat, to my untrained eye. I made the left turn down my street and then proceeded to my house and backed in the driveway as normal. About a minute later, the Dodge comes down my street from the other direction and stops across from my house (having evidently gone around the block) and just sits there for a couple of minutes before departing.

Well, it kind of creeped me out. Since my car parks and charges outside in the driveway (I live in a relatively urban area with very few homes in my neighboorhood having garages), it is raising caution flags in my thinking. So, do you think it was just a "Tesla Moment" where they wanted to get a second look at the car, or something else.

I guess, if nothing else, I need to install the BlackVue DR650 dashcam sooner rather than later. Maybe some cameras or enhanced security on the house too? Thoughts?

Do they use unmarked Chargers for police in your area?
The police have Chargers (and Caprice PPV (nee Holden Commodore from Aus) and still some leftover Crown Vics, but not many of those anymore). Possible, but if it were police and they wanted to check me out, I think they would have turned behind me and followed me, not gone to the next street and then circled the block.

- - - Updated - - -

I did some image searches. Definitely a 2015, possibly a Hellcat. Maybe just a real car enthusiast circling for a closer look.

That is completely uncool. As JohnSnowNW said, always continue to move until they lose interest. The last thing you want is for them to know where you live. That would creep me out enough to get their plate and call the cops.

I hope nothing happens. I do worry about this as my car gets attention everywhere I go and often from some unsavory looking people. Sorry for saying that, since it sounds like profiling, which is not my intent. But we have had several incidences of vandalism in the SF Bay Area that seem to be directed toward the MS.

That is completely uncool. As JohnSnowNW said, always continue to move until they lose interest.

They rolled up on my house while I was in the driveway. They pretty well have my number at that point and not much I can do. Again, they didn't follow me. The went to the next block and made 3 left turns to come back at me from the other direction. And yes, vandalism is the concern. Coming back later and keying my car to "avenge their Dodge comrade's YouTube video drag race loss" type BS.

Keep us posted. I'd have been inclined to wave to let them know I saw them. I don't own a cellphone, but many people do so taking a picture or video next time.

That would have been the smart thing. Next time I will just walk toward their car and start taking pictures, telling them that I think the "new Charger really looks cool" or some such thing. That way I have pictures and possibly develop "goodwill" at the same time.