Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance "Plus" Option?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

BMWY

Mar 29, 2021
SJ
Purely speculative here, but knowing that Tesla still likely has some "room" left on the 2170s along with their proclivity for monetization, how many of you would pony up another 5-10k to unlock a "Performance Plus" boost for your MYPs? I figure this could include the much talked about track mode along with a bump in performance obviously. This would also provide some degree of differentiation for MYP owners that are more enthusiast minded.

Again, just having some fun here, but I have to assume that this would be a slam dunk for Tesla and a pretty easy task at that.

Reactions: Icehedgehog88
I would happily pay for something like this, but we can't even get track mode alone at this point, lol.

It seems like Tesla has abandoned all new development for the 2170, so not likely we see much from here on out.

Purely speculative here, but knowing that Tesla still likely has some "room" left on the 2170s along with their proclivity for monetization, how many of you would pony up another 5-10k to unlock a "Performance Plus" boost for your MYPs? I figure this could include the much talked about track mode along with a bump in performance obviously. This would also provide some degree of differentiation for MYP owners that are more enthusiast minded.

Again, just having some fun here, but I have to assume that this would be a slam dunk for Tesla and a pretty easy task at that.

People have been asking for basically the same thing for a model 3 (which does have track mode) for like 2-3 years (and there has been a couple of free power bumps nothing else). I think this is unlikely to happen, and I also dont think there is much "room" left in the current architecture for a significant enough power bump that they could charge for it.

If there was, they would have for model 3s a while ago. The model 3 and Y are very similar in battery / motor etc.

I don't think our "pleading" and "begging" will move the needle. But if the competition starts releasing "Tesla Killers" Elon will have to respond.

Now the question is can existing Model 3/Y be improved with an OTA or are they MAXED OUT leaving any performance improvement to a "new model" with better battery technology? That is the question.

I don't think our "pleading" and "begging" will move the needle. But if the competition starts releasing "Tesla Killers" Elon will have to respond.

Now the question is can existing Model 3/Y be improved with an OTA or are they MAXED OUT leaving any performance improvement to a "new model" with better battery technology? That is the question.

It has been posited before that only about 75-85% of the 2170 has been tapped. So there is definitely some room on the table, it's just a matter of how much.

Reactions: morbidz

There's always go faster racing stripes... ;)

• Funny
Reactions: Ruffles
Of course not.

The Polestar 2 Performance package comes with forged 20" wheels, Ohlins coil-overs, Brembos, & a bit more power.

That's a proper performance package.

I don't want sh*tty 21' cast wheels.
I like the Ohlins coilovers, and that's about it. What's so bad about 21 Ubers vs Forged Light weight wheels.

Forged wheels are lighter and stronger than cast wheels. but they are not good at long distance or highway driving in terms of efficiency due to lighter mass having less momentum during constant speed. It should help for drag race or track race, but you will not feel/see any real world benefit for every day use.

Cast wheels are strong enough for 99.99% drivers and cars out there. Unless you go track racing everyday and abuse the wheel/tires, you will never see the true benefit of the forged wheels.
It is just marketing gimmick. I can beat you all day long year round with my MYP with your "pure performance" polstar 2 performance pack with proper "performance" everything with my 21" Shitty cast wheels. I also go longer distance than your performance polstar 2 =)

My testing with Dragy shows that even a small amount lower state of charge affects zero to 60 time and 1/4 mile time, so the limiting factor seems to be the battery at this point.

Keith

I am not saying the forged wheels are bad. They are definitely better in terms of weight, strength, and balance, but those are negligible differences when it comes to everyday driving.

When did this thread become about daily driving? Pretty sure the OP was posting about ringing the last little bit of performance out of the 2170 batteries...

Keith

They don't need more power.

They need better suspension & wheels to be faster cars.
I don’t understand why you’d need more power. Straight line performance is already extreme with EVs. Handling has room for improvement, and I’d like to see them more focused on that.

Make that ‘ride and handling balance’, something that’s sadly thrown to the garbage bin of ideas nowadays.

Reactions: Suns_PSD
I like the Ohlins coilovers, and that's about it. What's so bad about 21 Ubers vs Forged Light weight wheels.

Forged wheels are lighter and stronger than cast wheels. but they are not good at long distance or highway driving in terms of efficiency due to lighter mass having less momentum during constant speed. It should help for drag race or track race, but you will not feel/see any real world benefit for every day use.

Cast wheels are strong enough for 99.99% drivers and cars out there. Unless you go track racing everyday and abuse the wheel/tires, you will never see the true benefit of the forged wheels.
It is just marketing gimmick. I can beat you all day long year round with my MYP with your "pure performance" polstar 2 performance pack with proper "performance" everything with my 21" Shitty cast wheels. I also go longer distance than your performance polstar 2 =)
get flow forged, best of both worlds at 1/4 the price.

Reactions: Suns_PSD