Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance plus package, any ride comfort compromise at all?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

jkirkebo

Model S P85+ VIN 14420 EU
Jun 13, 2010
Fredrikstad, Norway
After reading the glowing reports of the performance of the plus package I am thinking of modifying my order to include it. I've already ordered the Performance model with grey 21" rims.

What is holding me back is concerns of a harsher ride with the plus package. Have anybody driven the regular Model S with 21" rims and the P85+ on the same surface and done some comparisons? Or driven the P85+ on bad roads? Impressions? Anobody done comparison between the P85+ and other cars with a comfortable ride (like the Audi A7 with air suspension)?

After reading the glowing reports of the performance of the plus package I am thinking of modifying my order to include it. I've already ordered the Performance model with grey 21" rims.

What is holding me back is concerns of a harsher ride with the plus package. Have anybody driven the regular Model S with 21" rims and the P85+ on the same surface and done some comparisons? Or driven the P85+ on bad roads? Impressions? Anobody done comparison between the P85+ and other cars with a comfortable ride (like the Audi A7 with air suspension)?

I own a P85 with 21's and drove a P85+ earlier this week. I didn't notice any compromise is ride quality. As I described elsewhere, the P85+ is more taut, not stiffer. That is, it moves around less in response to directional changes, as opposed to the ride being harsher all of the time. On uneven surfaces, the P85+ is much less harsh than my McLaren MP4-12C (as expected).

I own a P85 with 21's and drove a P85+ earlier this week. I didn't notice any compromise is ride quality. As I described elsewhere, the P85+ is more taut, not stiffer. That is, it moves around less in response to directional changes, as opposed to the ride being harsher all of the time. On uneven surfaces, the P85+ is much less harsh than my McLaren MP4-12C (as expected).

Thanks, that is really helpful. I will change my order to include this package then ;)

Absolutely love the MP4. Very jealous. To get back on topic...didn't Musk purchase an MP4 and tear it apart to reverse engineer? Or was it the F1 or am I regurgitating urban legend?

Absolutely love the MP4. Very jealous. To get back on topic...didn't Musk purchase an MP4 and tear it apart to reverse engineer? Or was it the F1 or am I regurgitating urban legend?

Musk owned a McLaren F1 which he crashed. He describes the incident to an interviewer on the video in this Jalopnik article.

The Tesla headquarters is just down the road in Palo Alto from the McLaren dealership. Sometime last year Musk brought one or more key guys from the chassis engineering team to the dealership to test drive the MP4-12C, and told them "this is how I want our cars to handle" or something to the effect. I was told this by the sales manager who went along for the test drives after I complained to him about the handling quirks in my P85, so it is not an urban legend. AFAIK, Musk did not buy a 12C, but they don't talk about who buys their cars, even with other owners.

I have seen a few of his interviews and he has made comments like-
Yes it is doing well but it is not a real company until it is profitable.
I do not really agree with this (all) other people's money. I think you need to have something on the table if you are going to ask others to invest.
For me, its a real company when it makes something (I forget the exact wording).

My point is that Musk is a product of another country and it shows. This is not how (most of us) are raising out kids. I say this not to start a fight but to simply point out that values matter and we take them lightly at our own peril.

The Performance Plus package is now officially on my radar! I hadn't considered it before because in too many automotive circles "sport" or "performance" also translates into "rides like sh*t", and I've been burned too many times in the past. This package seems like a genuine, no-compromises upgrade. Guess I'll have to count my pennies for a few extra months. :crying: