Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Plus Package now available as option or retrofit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone here added perf plus to their already finalized order with 2012 pricing? I've got a P85 on order with 2012 pricing which includes the 21"'s. I'm interested in the performance suspension, but not for $6500.

Picked my car up from service today and was told that the performance suspension parts can be retrofitted.
That's true, but to be more specific, the P+ package is not entirely retrofittable, only "most" of it.

Spoke for an hour with George Blankenship at the Santana Row event last week, and he was raving about the Performance Plus package. When we asked about retrofit, his answer was "90%". I asked him to clarify if he meant they were 90% sure it was retrofittable, or if 90% of the P+ kit could be retrofitted. It's the latter.

In addition to the wheels, there are suspension parts that change, and some structural parts that involve frame mount changes too. It is not possible to retrofit a few of the structural parts (wasn't clear to me exactly what these were), but he said if you add the new suspension parts and wheels you get "awfully close" to the handling of a factory P+. There are definitely parts that are NOT retrofittable, but he said it will still be a big, noticeable improvement. There were about 8 other owners who were gathered around for this discussion, probably other members here, and some of them may have picked up more of the specifics of the few parts that can't be retrofitted to our cars.

He said that Elon and he recently had a fun few hours of testing P+. They had a stock (non-P+) P85, a P85 with the retrofittable parts, and a factory-built P+. Drove them one after the other. He said riding with Elon is a bit terrifying, he'll whip the wheel left and right and pretty high speeds. They all could tell the difference in all 3 levels, but they agreed the retrofit P85 was still a very big improvement. Most people wouldn't notice the additional handling gains between retrofit-P+ and full P+.

Last edited:
I believe I will soon be about to finalize my order. The Norway/EU pricing for the Performance plus package has not yet been made public, but it will probably be very soon. I would be interested in the upgraded suspension but frankly not at all with the 21" wheels, neither standard width or wider rears. If anyone anywhere is able to get a quote from Tesla on just the suspension upgrade please post it here, so I can refer to that if they tell me it's not possible to get just the suspension upgrade. Thanks!

I believe I will soon be about to finalize my order. The Norway/EU pricing for the Performance plus package has not yet been made public, but it will probably be very soon. I would be interested in the upgraded suspension but frankly not at all with the 21" wheels, neither standard width or wider rears. If anyone anywhere is able to get a quote from Tesla on just the suspension upgrade please post it here, so I can refer to that if they tell me it's not possible to get just the suspension upgrade. Thanks!

This is what Tesla EU told me….

I have an update on the performance plus package, we do now have the pricing available, which will be 6.600€ incl. tax in the Netherlands.

Furthermore the option is available as a retrofit to customers that have already configured as well. Delivery date is subject to availability.
As soon as we are ready we will contact our customers and ask if they are interested in this option.

Performance Plus Package now available...

UPDATE as of 4/8/2013 - 7pm Eastern

Tesla just reversed their pricing decision for those of us who finalized under 2012 pricing with vehicles that are still open to order modifications who wish to add the performance plus package. Previously, Tesla had stated that while they would honor 2012 pricing, the performance plus package would still cost $6,500, effectively asking us to pay for 21" wheels twice (21" wheels were included in the 2012 performance package.) After a bunch of back and forth with Tesla today, I just received verbal and email confirmation that for those of us in this situation that the performance plus package can be added for a discounted price of $3,000. I've added it to my order.

If you're in this situation and had previously been told the plus package would be $6,500 and want the perf plus package, I'd call/email immediately. I'd like to say kudos to Tesla for coming up with a fair solution.

Andrew

Last edited:
Majority of the reservations made in 2012 was before EU price was announced and the only reference was the US list of packages. At the time the 21" was included with the P85 as we all know. Reservation holders from 2012 has been informed that we will be discounted the price increase from 2013. They should have included the 21" in the deal, or at least give us the opportunity to get the + package at discounted price.

Majority of the reservations made in 2012 was before EU price was announced and the only reference was the US list of packages. At the time the 21" was included with the P85 as we all know. Reservation holders from 2012 has been informed that we will be discounted the price increase from 2013. They should have included the 21" in the deal, or at least give us the opportunity to get the + package at discounted price.
totally agree. unless plus package is discounted for eu sigs reserved pre 2013 a lot of sigs will be annoyed. I probably wont go for the plus package either way, but, if no discount, struggle to understand why all the unpaid salespeople who have paid extra to lend tesla money without interest and lock in order at limited color choice continue to be shortchanged.