Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Plus Package now available as option or retrofit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am going to push for getting everything that can be retrofitted minus the new rims/tires. Or at most, replace the rears. No reason to pay for an entire second set of wheels...seems like a waste! Trying to figure out how this new package improves range...that would be fabulous.

Anyone know if this retrofit might also be available for non-performance cars? Even in stsndard form I believe the stock air suspension setup just cannot keep up with the weight and power of the car.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Got an update from Elon! Here is what he has to say (I informed him of the headliner issue that I noticed on pickup and this is what his first line is referring to):

"Yeah, I have now insisted that even the tiniest (this was obviously not tiny) change to the car requires a physical inspection and buy off from me. The headliner change shouldn’t have happened.

The exact price of the P+ retrofit is still tbd. It would be $6500 plus whatever the labor cost is. Unfortunately, this is a major operation, so labor cost is high -- $8500 to $9500 is about right.

Tesla cannot do partial upgrades, as we have to test the heck out of anything that we provide as a manufacturer for regulatory compliance and liability. However, as an end customer, you are allowed to do whatever you want to your car, even if not FMVSS compliant."

So - I think we may be able to order the parts separately and get them installed. Thoughts?
As for retrofit on standard...I don't know. I think the 21" wheels are required for clearance maybe?

Doesn't seem uncommon to me. For my M3 the "competition pack" upgrades were available as parts from the dealer which you could get put on. Super expensive to do the full retro but brakes and suspension were pretty easy. Improved steering ratio and electronics very impractical.

Sounds good. Funny, I just sold my 2011 M3 sedan with comp package and that is what I'm comparing the stability to. That car was rock stable although smaller and in a diff class. This is more luxury with more of a plush ride. So that's great...order the parts separately primarily the suspension. Probably 3k installed, I'm guessing?

Doesn't seem uncommon to me. For my M3 the "competition pack" upgrades were available as parts from the dealer which you could get put on. Super expensive to do the full retro but brakes and suspension were pretty easy. Improved steering ratio and electronics very impractical.

I did autocross this weekend in my S and I think wider rears would have helped a bunch. Suspension too but mainly stickier tires and a little more meat. I was impressed with the S in such tight spaces!

the S pushes a bit and it was hard to keep the front end locked in a little. + I kept feeling the TC holding me back on some of the wider curves where I think I could have accelerated a little harder. - I am at the wear bar on my right rear tire now! If/ when I autocross again I think I might try some 20" wider tires (if it makes any sense $ wise)

just for the road I wouldn't think Perf + is needed. and since it was my first time ever autocrossing, and I still beat a few kids w/ Wrx & Sti's so I was pretty happy.

Last edited:
I did autocross this weekend in my S and I think wider rears would have helped a bunch. Suspension too but mainly stickier tires and a little more meat. I was impressed with the S in such tight spaces!

Interesting. I'm torn in the view whether I 'need' the Perf+ package or not. Would you say the package first and foremost is made for racing on the tracks? I will never drive my S on any tracks and need more info before I make a decision. My last day for making a decision is today (European time) for keeping my spot. Any info and views on this is appreciated.

Last edited:
Interesting. I'm torn in the view wether I 'need' the Perf+ package or not. Would you say the package first and foremost is made for racing on the tracks? I will never drive my S on any tracks and need more info before I make a decision. My last day for making a decision is today (European time) for keeping my spot. Any info and views on this is appreciated.

Would an additional 8 to 12 miles of range be significant for you leaving aside all the additional Perf improvements?! If I could afford it, I'd take it...

Would an additional 8 to 12 miles of range be significant for you leaving aside all the additional Perf improvements?! If I could afford it, I'd take it...
I agree with you, that improved range is definately something to consider. However; what is the main reason for this improvement? I would assume it's the tires (Michelin's) and not the rest of the perf+ package, and those tires are standard for the 21" rims in Europe. I may be at fault here, though... :)

I agree with you, that improved range is definately something to consider. However; what is the main reason for this improvement? I would assume it's the tires (Michelin's) and not the rest of the perf+ package, and those tires are standard for the 21" rims in Europe. I may be at fault here, though... :)

You are spot on. I had the same question about the range improvement for the Performance + and e-mailed Tesla with the question. Below is their response:

Hello,

Thank you for emailing Tesla Motors. You have a good question and we would like to explain. The Performance Plus Package comes with Michelin Pilot Sports. These tires are made of a compound that allow for greater rolling distance which will improve your range. The tires that come with the Model S Performance without the Performance Plus Package are Continental Extreme Contacts, these tires are made of a different compound that does not have the same level of rolling distance as the Michelins.

You are spot on. I had the same question about the range improvement for the Performance + and e-mailed Tesla with the question. Below is their response:

Hello,

Thank you for emailing Tesla Motors. You have a good question and we would like to explain. The Performance Plus Package comes with Michelin Pilot Sports. These tires are made of a compound that allow for greater rolling distance which will improve your range. The tires that come with the Model S Performance without the Performance Plus Package are Continental Extreme Contacts, these tires are made of a different compound that does not have the same level of rolling distance as the Michelins.

Can of worms officially opened:banghead:.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Already mentioned elsewhere but interesting to see this package adds range...

Performance Plus Package
Performance Plus takes one of the world's best sedans into supercar handling territory, while also improving ride quality and range. After hundreds of iterations affecting every detail of the suspension, our vehicle dynamics team was able to achieve the rare outcome of simultaneously improving performance, comfort and efficiency. In addition to upgraded dampers, bushings, stabilizer bars and tires (Michelin Pilot Sport) , the rear wheels are 20 mm wider and staggered for improved acceleration on low grip surfaces. Range improvement is 8 to 12 miles. Requires 21" Wheels, available in Grey or Silver.
I'm curious to know how thats possible, as I've heard the 21in wheels give you less range

I'm curious to know how thats possible, as I've heard the 21in wheels give you less range

Hello,

:) ??