Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Plus (+) Upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I went un-staggered. :)

Some people have done the 275s, but they have an even lower profile, but not by much.

Since you have a RWD it's probably OK to mix brands, but I defer to others who might be more knowledgeable. On a DM car I wouldn't.

When I had a P85+, I unstaggeted it also. It's just too much of a PIA to find/buy the right tires and no ability to rotate.

And the difference in performance with the 265s is marginal AT BEST and even then only at the extreme of handling and adhesion. Off the track I challenge anyone to demonstrate a difference between 245s and 265s on the rear.

I guess just to add my data to this thread. I have a March 2015 P85D vin 70XXX and i do not have the PX01 option code but under my api and i've checked physically, i do have performance plus. Although just going to mention, my P85D came with 19s so maybe PX01 only shows up if it has the performance plus parts AND the 21 staggered. Since i've seen some non staggered performance plus cars and im going to assume that those will not show up as PX01.
To add some more data; I have a Dec 2014 build with PF01 and PX00 option codes rather than PX01, yet it still has the parts identified in the earlier post.

Reactions: HankLloydRight
Another data point. Took delivery of my Dec ‘14 P85D three days ago. Confirmed the VIN decode that I do have PX01. My car has 19s vs the 21s.

Attachments

• E1BB2173-B1F7-437D-A8E6-0C55C765B166.jpeg
    E1BB2173-B1F7-437D-A8E6-0C55C765B166.jpeg
    409.1 KB · Views: 145
Reactions: HankLloydRight
After reading this revived thread I had to check my car: a P85DL with VIN 73xxx, delivered 3/9/15. It was delivered with 21" non-staggered wheels, which while more practical took me by surprise. I was expecting staggered. The photo indicates the early suspension. I've always wondered which suspension I own because although it's on the stiff side with no body roll, I've never felt it was "bone crushing" as some have described early P85Ds. Frankly I would hate to have a Model S that was much more compliant, so knowing I have the discontinued stiff suspension gives me one more reason to hang on to my car until a significantly redesigned MS comes along at some point in the future.

IMG_2951.JPG

Frankly I would hate to have a Model S that was much more compliant, so knowing I have the discontinued stiff suspension gives me one more reason to hang on to my car until a significantly redesigned MS comes along at some point in the future.

It’s rare that we get “nice” surprises these days, so getting one of this magnitude solidifies my decision to go CPO.

Was able to put the suspension through its paces tonight on a windy/twisty route I travel 2-3x/week. All I can say is: “YES!!!”. There’s not a single thing I’d want to tweak to this setup. Mind you, every car I’ve owned I had to upgrade the suspension in some way, so this is saying quite a bit.
The clear limiting factor, naturally, is the stock rubber. All Seasons with tall sidewalls are comfy, but certainly not made for spirited driving. Not sure now how long I can hold out before upgrading, either with just better stock sized 19” tires, staggered 245/275, or go +1 to 20”.

If I were in your shoes I would go +1 to 20s for summer or warm-climate tires. With dual-motor the rear end is hard to make slip, so I don't think staggered is needed. I look forward to installing the 21" wheels for summer and new Pilot Super Sports in a couple weeks (the original Continentals are worn out). The 21s handle noticeably tighter than the 19" Sottozero winter tires that are on now. And although subjective, I love the looks of the larger wheels. Nevertheless, I have dreaded potholes, etc., because it's obvious the risk of wheel damage is high. It's fortunate I drive on well maintained country and suburban roads in Virginia. If I still lived in New England, which we moved from ten years ago, those 21" wheels would have been bent and ruined long ago. 20s are probably a good compromise all around.

Reactions: Doanster1
so I don't think staggered is needed.

I don't think staggered wheels/tires are ever needed on the Model S. It's just a marketing ploy.

If I still lived in New England, which we moved from ten years ago, those 21" wheels would have been bent and ruined long ago. 20s are probably a good compromise all around.

It's an interesting time now. The cost of the OEM 21" Turbines have dropped like a rock. It's actually really inexpensive to pick up a few spares in case of potholes/bends, etc. I have three spares I pickled up for cheap over the years (like $300 each or so).

I love the look of the 21" Grey turbines, and run them all spring/summer/fall as long as I can. And I'm in the greater NYC area/I-95 with legendary pothole problems. I'm actually not worried anymore if I destroy a wheel. Replacements are cheap now.

Good points by both of you. Only reason I’m considering staggered is to get more meat with the 275s. Just as with the suspension, I’ve always gone +1 or +2 on all my cars. I think 20s will be my sweet spot for me with this car. Our roads aren’t horrible by any stretch, but I still end up bending one or more. Had some OZs that I loved, but bent them multiple times and the style was no longer made.
Debate with myself is whether I can stick with stock wheels for a while or spend more $$ now to get different wheels (regardless of size).
Too many post-purchase expenditures as it stands now - tint, center console (stuppppid Yacht floor!!!!), HPWC, lights, spoiler, etc.

Funny you say you've had to modify previous cars to be happy with the suspension. I ended up changing the air springs for coil on my P+ before I was happy with it. When it came time to consider the PD I specifically asked Tesla Engineering about the damping letting them know that the M5 was my normal benchmark and was told "I will not be disappointed". Like you, I was not and have been very happy. I did get a loaner with the newer suspension and most certainly would have been disappointed had that been my car.

Funny you say you've had to modify previous cars to be happy with the suspension. I ended up changing the air springs for coil on my P+ before I was happy with it. When it came time to consider the PD I specifically asked Tesla Engineering about the damping letting them know that the M5 was my normal benchmark and was told "I will not be disappointed". Like you, I was not and have been very happy. I did get a loaner with the newer suspension and most certainly would have been disappointed had that been my car.
I’ve never done anything crazy or dropped serious $$ on coilovers. Just the usual springs and (more importantly) better shocks/struts. Did thicker sway bars once.

ps I like your screen name; I was following Champ Car back in the day (think Zanardi, Greg Moore (RIP), etc.) and even worked the Long Beach GP; was stationed on the hairpin island for most of race day; talk about best seat in the house!!!!

The neat thing about Historic Sportscar Racing (HSR) is that they will let you run anything that is not currently legal in professional racing provided you are not a threat to yourself or others on the track. You can also run as hard as you like provided you adhere to those two rules. I started off in two liter sports racers and ended up in a 99 ChampCar with all 940 hp of Cosworth XD :0 There is nothing like 1600 lbs / 3400 lbs of downforce (at 200) and 940 bhp to push it through the air. What a hoot.

I love to post this.... Its the only footage I have.

The neat thing about Historic Sportscar Racing (HSR) is that they will let you run anything that is not currently legal in professional racing provided you are not a threat to yourself or others on the track. You can also run as hard as you like provided you adhere to those two rules. I started off in two liter sports racers and ended up in a 99 ChampCar with all 940 hp of Cosworth XD :0 There is nothing like 1600 lbs / 3400 lbs of downforce (at 200) and 940 bhp to push it through the air. What a hoot.
WOW!!! Best I have is footage from the many HPDE days I’ve attended over the years. Pales in comparison.
Haven’t done a search here yet to see if anyone’s taken their MS to an HPDE Day. With all the data being available to Tesla, I’m thinking I’m not going to find a lot of posts.