Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Plus (+) Upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As discussed earlier in this thread, the PX01/PX00 option code is NOT a reliable indicator that a P85D has or doesn't have the + suspension. The only way to be 100% certain is to look for the part numbers.
Thanks for the reminder. I get to drive a twisty mountain road a couple times a week and smile every time at how great the suspension is.

Reactions: HankLloydRight
WOW!!! Best I have is footage from the many HPDE days I’ve attended over the years. Pales in comparison.
Haven’t done a search here yet to see if anyone’s taken their MS to an HPDE Day. With all the data being available to Tesla, I’m thinking I’m not going to find a lot of posts.

We had one show up to one of our HPDEs (NJ BMWCCA.) It ran into an issue with reduced power, the owner called Tesla, they pushed out a fix, and she continued for the rest of the day. I have no idea what issue she ran into or what they remotely fixed. This was a couple of years ago.

We had one show up to one of our HPDEs (NJ BMWCCA.) It ran into an issue with reduced power, the owner called Tesla, they pushed out a fix, and she continued for the rest of the day. I have no idea what issue she ran into or what they remotely fixed. This was a couple of years ago.
Good to know. I’m sure Heat is the main issue for our cars. All the HPDE Days I’ve attended were through the Portland BMW ACA. Haven’t checked back in a while, so not sure if there’s anything specific rules-wise related to EVs.

Did anyone ever compile a list of parts that would be needed to add the + suspension to a standard 85 non P car?
Front air spring 1030608-01-A
Rear LH air spring 6006352-07-A
Rear RH air spring 6006353-07-A

We had a number of folks putting calipers to their sway bars, some time ago. Reported were either 26mm/21mm (front/rear) or 24mm/20mm. From manual: Where "before April 30, 2015" builds is specifically stated about the above air springs, I don't see any similar distinction for the early P85D on swaybars. The thicknesses seem to separate on whether cars were air, or coil, per the manual, but I thought we had some P85D air owners reporting thinner? Also, P85+ has a different rear air spring part number (6006353-04-A).

Personally, i don't think these cars have enough body roll to justify choosing increased firmness over compliance. It buys you quickness, in transients (like slaloms), but not grip. Coil P85D's are about 1 in 20. I'm not sure if its for the same reasons as my own, but air suspensions aren't typically the choice of performance oriented drivers. Tesla had to refuse installing coils (how the P85D was launched, until Q2'15), in order for so few to have been made.

Last edited:
Just to keep everything in one place, I'm reposting this image that @whitex posted showing how Tesla marketed the P85D through April, 2015. He ordered his P85D in April, 2015 and was built in May, 2015. I think this is a single exception to the rule that the P+ suspension officially ended on April 30th, 2015 according to the parts manual pages posted upthread.

p85-jpg.300594

Hijacking this thread a little: Just ordered a CPO P85D, my adviser told me it has the performance + suspension and therefore is coil, but ev-cpo indicates it's "SU02 Smart Air Suspension", I searched for forums for this option code and returned nothing useful. Anyone has any idea if the car has air or coil? If it's coil, does it mean I can't adjust ride height (I have a really steep driveway). Thanks!

Thanks guys, I checked ev-cpo again for SU02 option code that the P85D I order comes with, and none of the current listings has it. For archived listing, only 33 cars has it and they are all P85D. I'm still concerned that this might be one of the small batch that doesn't have it?

Most likely it’s SAS. Just ask them to send you the Monroney label and you’ll know for sure.
If it really has coils, you can’t adjust the height. Probably won’t have an issue with your driveway though as coil-cars sit pretty high.

Thanks guys, I checked ev-cpo again for SU02 option code that the P85D I order comes with, and none of the current listings has it. For archived listing, only 33 cars has it and they are all P85D. I'm still concerned that this might be one of the small batch that doesn't have it?

Look for code SU01 which is also SAS.

SU00 is coils.

edit: I also want to reiterate, there are ZERO P85+ or P85Ds with coil suspension in EV-CPO. They all have SAS.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrokerDon
I have had my P85D for a week. Just poking around and found this thread. I have the SS A01 label on the right front strut; no label on the left strut. I don't know if I should be happy or not- sometimes wondering about wearing a mouth guard so I don't chip my teeth. And that is with 19" Goodyears as I took off the 21"s. I don't want anything to do with paying for overpriced 21 inch tires. I have also reduced the PSI down to 45 and thinking about going lower...

The highest P85D (CPO) is VIN: P77543

Hey fellas. I’m trying to confirm if a 2015 p85d has + suspension or not. After reading thru a ton of posts on the board, I am seeing April 30 as the cut off date but lots of varying VIN #s as “last vin #” Can anyone confirm or is it a crapshoot? Thanks in advance

5YJSA1H40FF081000
MFG date on door jam is 03/2015

Attachments

• E2268954-DB77-4032-A358-443D5EB1A905.png
    E2268954-DB77-4032-A358-443D5EB1A905.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 67