Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Price Change, Delivery Delay, and Tesla Called me to Ask Why I Didn"t Order the P

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been meaning to post this. About two weeks or so ago, Tesla called me to ask why I didn't order the P. Had a good 20 minute call about lack of options on top of absurd price. They said they are hearing that a ton. Was a very interesting call to say the least and totally out of the blue.

Once I saw the forum below up tonight about the apparent lowered price, I called.
I just got of the phone. Longer hold than normal ~12 minutes. Got some new info
  • Performance edition is pushed back to 3-5 months for all.
  • Pricing on their end is 78k still
  • They are expecting an FAQ sheet imminently that they stated will have new pricing
  • If you already placed AWD and change, you get the 3-5 month window, but still hold your place
  • My edit design button is gone, but she did say if I wanted to change, still can, but they still show 78k:(

Background - ordered AWD few hours after it opened for me on 5/20. First person in US in line :) tented 3 days at Dedham, MA.

For context, I was one of the first to place an order for a P85D when ordering first opened up. After I placed the order I called Tesla to ask whether it would be possible to get one with 19" wheels/tires. They said no, so I told them I was going to cancel the order. Next day, they said hold off on cancelling because a lot of people were asking for the 19" option, and sure enough, it became available.

So back on late 2014, they were listening and responding. A lot has changed since then, but it wouldn't be unprecedented for them to change configurations to meet customer preferences.

The delivery timing has also changed for the Standard battery to 6-9 months... and the Federal tax credit will drop to $3,750 :cool:

Tesla made several changes to the Model 3 design studio today to add new options, change prices and more. The automaker has also changed some of the timelines for deliveries and it opened orders for dual motor and performance vehicles in Canada. The biggest change is the pricing of the Model 3 with dual motor and the performance version of the car.
  • Dual Motor went from a $5,000 option, like it was for the Model S, to a $4,000 option.
  • The vehicle now starts at $53,000 with the Long Range battery pack, which is still the only battery option available.
  • Tesla updated the timeline for the standard battery to 6-9 months.
  • Model 3 Performance version also saw its based price fall to just $64,000 by making more features optional.
  • The Model 3 performance version used to start at $78,000, but Tesla has now made several features optional.
  • Buyers can add the “Performance Upgrades” package for $5,000. It includes an increase of the top speed from 145 to 155, a carbon fiber spoiler, 20” performance wheels, and aluminum alloy pedals, Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires and red performance brake calipers.
  • Tesla confirmed to Electrek that it will retroactively apply the new pricing to customers who have already placed their orders.
  • As shown on the updated design studio above, Tesla also updated the color options.
  • The white interior is now also still available with the performance version and it becomes a $1,500 option over the standard black interior.
  • As for delivery timelines, Tesla is shifting priority to the performance version with a 2 to 4-month delivery window after confirming the order.
  • The Long Range battery pack with rear-wheel drive motor, which has so far been the only vehicle in production, is now getting a 3 to 5-month delivery window, like the dual motor version without performance package.
upload_2018-6-26_19-17-36.png

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Electroman
  • The vehicle now starts at $53,000 with the Long Range battery pack, which is still the only battery option available.
This is misleading: The dual motor starts at $53,000, but the RWD version is still at $49,000, as the graphic shows.

Also, the graphic shows P/AWD with a 155 MPH top speed, but later on, the $5,000 performance package indicates that it increases the top speed from 145 to 155 MPH.

This is misleading: The dual motor starts at $53,000, but the RWD version is still at $49,000, as the graphic shows.

Also, the graphic shows P/AWD with a 155 MPH top speed, but later on, the $5,000 performance package indicates that it increases the top speed from 145 to 155 MPH.

Agreed ... this is all in context of The biggest change is the pricing of the Model 3 with dual motor and the performance version of the car.

Reactions: Dr. J
I'm reading this to say the prior performance model price of $78K is now $64K + $5k P Options + $1500 White Int = $70500.
A reduction of $7500 (or the full tax credit).

It almost appears that the $7500 tax credit might expire at the end of Q3 (they hit 200k in Q2), prior to the time they can meet delivery of current orders.

I don't understand how they are now projecting orders to take 3-5 mos for delivery from order if they are truly ramped up to 5k a week, and they haven't taken any new orders in weeks.
THis is bad news for those of us still waiting to configure

I'm reading this to say the prior performance model price of $78K is now $64K + $5k P Options + $1500 White Int = $70500.

It almost appears that the $7500 tax credit might expire at the end of Q3 (they hit 200k in Q2), prior to the time they can meet delivery of current orders.

I don't understand how they are now projecting orders to take 3-5 mos for delivery from order if they are truly ramped up to 5k a week, and they haven't taken any new orders in weeks.

OR

This is a point in time where much is in flux and the fog is thick, scary but no substance to warrant panic as there are "good news" paths as potentials as well. Patience and a deeeeep breath. Repeat after me, fellow traveller, the meditation of the Model 3 line waiter:

Ohm.

Ohm.

Ohm.

Ohm.

Ohm.

I think (hope?) that's a coincidence. Even if they've already started the phase out, the credit won't go from $7,500 to zero. It gets halved, and then halved again. My guess is Tesla is upselling the impatient people, and so (maybe?) sandbagging the delivery timeframe of the cheaper versions. They want to make a profit.

Or maybe they didn't get the orders they expected for Performance in the first couple of weeks it was available, so they cut the price.

I think (hope?) that's a coincidence. Even if they've already started the phase out, the credit won't go from $7,500 to zero. It gets halved, and then halved again. My guess is Tesla is upselling the impatient people, and so (maybe?) sandbagging the delivery timeframe of the cheaper versions. They want to make a profit.

Maybe they just send out all the remaining US invites at once for everyone to configure, and they build them out in Queue. So the timelines for delivery are not really any different than what we've seen.
Otherwise, how the heck can they project timelines for delivery if they don't know real order configurations?

I was already nervous the AWD option was going to be cutting it close for me on full tax credit. I wasn't going to sacrifice $3750 more to get AWD if that was a risk. Now it sounds like regardless of your config, you're going to WAIT A LONG TIME.

Or maybe they didn't get the orders they expected for Performance in the first couple of weeks it was available, so they cut the price.
What I want to know is what's the faster line to get an invite. Stay in First production or switch to AWD. The dates listed on them are still the same (May-Jul and Late 2018, respectively). Especially with the $1000 price drop, I'm pretty damn flexible on which I'll take.

What I want to know is what's the faster line to get an invite. Stay in First production or switch to AWD. The dates listed on them are still the same (May-Jul and Late 2018, respectively). Especially with the $1000 price drop, I'm pretty damn flexible on which I'll take.
They are prioritizing AWD and P for the best possible profit margins in Q3. AWD will likely get delivered before LR.

Last edited:
They are prioritizing AWD and P for the best possible profit margins in Q3. AWD will likely get delivered first.
That's fine but what'll get my my invite first? Can't choose what to order without an invite.

P.S. Prioritizing doesn't necessary mean that much if they're choke-pointed on AWD parts. Surely they won't leave production slack if they could be running full capacity with RWD?