Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Range Now Listed as 322 Miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is one weird thing about Tesla. They're always f*cking with the software and the configurations, so it's hard to compare one to the next. They don't follow the traditional model year paradigm. They just sort of update and change things whenever they feel like it.

Sounds like with the Model S/X they actually made a pretty major battery change a few months back and then just last week flipped the switch to turn it on. So people who bought just before the change got screwed and people who bought just after got a free upgrade they didn't even know was coming.

This could happen with the 3 as well. Some hackers found evidence of slightly larger and smaller batteries listed in the firmware. No one really knows if those batteries are actually out there in the world already or if they're in the firmware for some future release. If you bought your 3 recently you might have a bigger pack then you think and Tesla could flip a switch and you'll magically have more range.

I bet I’ll be able to flip the switch by paying $5000

If you only have 200 miles range on your 3P+ without flogging it.... I don’t know what to say. What’s your ambient temp?
I'm in SoCal, ambient has been 60-80 since I bought it. I have the 20" wheels, so I knew going in I wouldn't be getting full range. my Wh/m is usually in the low 300's with mixed driving. I've put about 1500 miles on it in the last month and half, and it seems to get about 2 miles for each percent of battery. Not optimal, but its fun as heck and I don't normally travel more than 100 miles a day, so I'm willing to live with it.

Are others getting significantly more real-world range than 200 with 20" wheels on a 3P+?

It bears repeating: the displayed "miles" at any percentage of battery charge are just an estimate, a warm fuzzy.

Anybody worried or elated about these numbers should find something else to obsess over, because different software versions change how they calculate that estimate. Then somebody posts new numbers on their web site, or doesn't.

You can double your actual range by driving at 60 MPH vs. 70-75 MPH, if I remember correctly. So if on one version it says 330 at full charge, and on another it says 310, you can be pretty sure these sorts of differences are irrelevant, your car hasn't changed. So just enjoy it. After a while you develop a sense of what your config and driving habits actually deliver.

Last edited:
Reactions: jfinephilly
I'm in SoCal, ambient has been 60-80 since I bought it. I have the 20" wheels, so I knew going in I wouldn't be getting full range. my Wh/m is usually in the low 300's with mixed driving. I've put about 1500 miles on it in the last month and half, and it seems to get about 2 miles for each percent of battery. Not optimal, but its fun as heck and I don't normally travel more than 100 miles a day, so I'm willing to live with it.

Are others getting significantly more real-world range than 200 with 20" wheels on a 3P+?
My life time average is 309 wh/mile with about 45 K miles. I got 90 miles going from 80 to 28 percent charge yesterday

I am at 200miles with 20"wheels at average ambient of 40°F, no speed driving, 50% highways 60 to 70mph, during last two months.
Model3Performance, 12 months, total mileage 20.000

Yes. Me. I hit 250 miles easily (just under 300 Wh/mi on average over 4K miles) and that includes a cold and rainy winter in Seattle. I’m around the 270 Wh/mi Mark in the summer. On factory 20s.

It bears repeating: the displayed "miles" at any percentage of battery charge are just an estimate, a warm fuzzy.

Anybody worried or elated about these numbers should find something else to obsess over, because different software versions change how they calculate that estimate. Then somebody posts new numbers on their web site, or doesn't.

Bit misleading to say this. For a given vehicle the number appears to be a very accurate estimate of energy available relative to energy on that same vehicle earlier in its life.

Charging events take proportionately less time to complete on vehicles showing reductions in this number.

Yes. Me. I hit 250 miles easily (just under 300 Wh/mi on average over 4K miles) and that includes a cold and rainy winter in Seattle. I’m around the 270 Wh/mi Mark in the summer. On factory 20s.

Wow, that's a significant difference. You must drive very conservatively. On my way to work today, I watched my Wh/m, and when I'm having "fun" I'm easily in the mid-400's, and when slow/boring, still above 300. I turned off Sentry, but keep dashcam operational, can't think of any other battery draw that would accelerate depletion.

I made myself pay cash for solar before I bought our Teslas, so I'm not really stressed on the efficiency, but its easy to become obsessed with this stuff unless you just step back and have fun.

Wow, that's a significant difference. You must drive very conservatively. On my way to work today, I watched my Wh/m, and when I'm having "fun" I'm easily in the mid-400's, and when slow/boring, still above 300. I turned off Sentry, but keep dashcam operational, can't think of any other battery draw that would accelerate depletion.

I made myself pay cash for solar before I bought our Teslas, so I'm not really stressed on the efficiency, but its easy to become obsessed with this stuff unless you just step back and have fun.

I drive a mix of styles but I can’t resist getting on it often. Let’s be honest, if you’re driving spiritedly all the time then you’re not going to see 250+ miles. That’s true of any car, EV or otherwise.

I have 20" aftermarket wheels on my stealth performance which are roughly around the same weight as tesla 19s. I have the 20" configuration set for wheels which makes my estimated range lower than it should be. I wish there was a way to manually input the dimensions/weights of aftermarket wheels/tires to have a more accurate estimated range.

I have 20" aftermarket wheels on my stealth performance which are roughly around the same weight as tesla 19s. I have the 20" configuration set for wheels which makes my estimated range lower than it should be. I wish there was a way to manually input the dimensions/weights of aftermarket wheels/tires to have a more accurate estimated range.

Just set the wheel configuration to 19" wheels. The Trip Planner estimates will perhaps be closer to reality. You just have to pick whatever seems to provide the closest result.

Just set the wheel configuration to 19" wheels. The Trip Planner estimates will perhaps be closer to reality. You just have to pick whatever seems to provide the closest result.
yeah but i'm also using thicker/sticker tires than what comes with the tesla OEM 19" so it would still be inaccurate haha

i figured i'd set it to the 20s to at least error in the side of less range so i don't run into any issues

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
yeah but i'm also using thicker/sticker tires than what comes with the tesla OEM 19" so it would still be inaccurate haha

i figured i'd set it to the 20s to at least error in the side of less range so i don't run into any issues

In that case my guess is that the 20" will actually be pretty close. My 18" Konig wheels with CrossClimate+ tires end up being about right when I set the 20" selection (when operating at freeway speeds, anyway). 18" and 19" are way off. To be clear, I'm talking about the Trip Planner here. Obviously for my vehicle it has no effect on rated range.

Reactions: cochran
Could be a fun thread/poll. “Performance + cars. Lifetime Wh/mi (over 10k miles only).”

I genuinely don’t care what my efficiency is...until I do. Which is rare. I plug it in every night. Every day I can drive to work and back as insane as I want (Elon, let me slide the car...that was my highlight of college....driving sideways everywhere...I miss it and feel old). Oh you’re still here; well yeah I really like medium walks on the beach. May have forgotten what we’re talking about.

I did a crazy experiment today. I drove about 100 miles, mostly freeway, and I didn't go above 72 mph. OMG. [insert eyeroll] (I don't think I've driven that slow on a freeway in Socal in years.) Lo and behold, with 100 miles down on a 90% charge, I'm showing a range of another 148 miles and consumption around 300 wh/m. Apparently slow is efficient, electrically and legally.