Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Rear Brake Servicing - Questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I serviced my brakes as part of my winter tire swap. I did notice something I am a bit concerned with. The bottom sliders on both sides have no caps. Both tops have caps. When I noticed the first missing I thought it had fallen off. But both are missing? I checked the parts catalog and I can't find any caps. I don't think they are listed, top or bottom.

From experience, I know that if this pin is left exposed the salt will seize it. I have had that happen so many times in the past. If the caps get left off or they get even a hole in them the situation can be a mess. I think I even broke one off trying to get it out. Heat usually works to un seize them but a big pain. If they do seize only 1 pad is used for braking causing poor stopping and premature pad wear. This can all be avoided if they are properly sealed. Obviously no cap is not sealed at all.

Did the caps get missed on my car? Do other performance model 3s have them?

Question :
I’ve heard that when you are servicing the brakes, and the caliber is off, the car can automatically activate the brakes causing the pistons to over extend.
Is this accurate, or a concern. ?
If you are going to have the caliper off, you should unplug the caliper harness. Otherwise, yes, the parking brake will reengage after around 20 mins.

If you are going to have the caliper off, you should unplug the caliper harness. Otherwise, yes, the parking brake will reengage after around 20 mins.
I put the car in towing mode and unplugged the caliper. I worked on it for over 20 minutes and towing mode remained on. It is odd the car would disable towing mode after 20 minutes. What would happen if you were actually towing?

I put the car in towing mode and unplugged the caliper. I worked on it for over 20 minutes and towing mode remained on. It is odd the car would disable towing mode after 20 minutes. What would happen if you were actually towing?

The car is only supposed to be towed with wheels up, and tow mode is primarily available to allow the car to be winched onto a flatbed if necessary.