Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance rear brakes more used

bluppdiwupp

Sep 1, 2019
Germany
I found in a M3 performance (1.200 miles) that the rear brakes are very well used. The wear is significantly higher than the front axle.
I suspect that this only occurs in sporty driving. In track mode maybe much more.
Likewise, it is reasonable to assume that, even on wet roads, snow may wear even more. Traction control will play a role here.
Did someone drive at a racetrack with wet conditions?

Did you observe similar?

Lucky13

Apr 19, 2018
San Mateo, CA
At Laguna in p3d- with r comps and suspension I can chew thru a brand new set of rear pads in one track day. This is on track mode. I did three days in a row at laguna and had to limp home and actually swapped pads at a supercharger in Gilroy to use pads that had just any bit of pad to not ruin my rotors. All the other Tesla owners at the supercharger looked at me like I had a third eye. Lol

• Funny
Reactions: gcmak

destructure00

Mar 2, 2019
Scottsdale, AZ
I've had the opposite experience. After a track day on stock P3D+ brakes, the fronts were toast and the rears were fine. After another track day on aftermarket pads and rotors, the cross-hatching on the front rotors is almost worn down and it still looks good on the rears.

Msjulie

Jun 26, 2016
Monterey Peninsula
Speculating that the wear depends on how driven.. if the car, in track mode, is controlling or helping the rear end drift around, rear brakes would be applied more. Fronts more if hard straight line braking..

Does that jive with folks experiences?

bluppdiwupp

Sep 1, 2019
Germany
he drove with a gentle line, with about 3 small drifts. After 10 minutes (8 Miles) the rear brake got very hot, the pedal had no more pressure. Some Error Messages about the brake booster are coming.
The brake pads still had about 1.5mm. The brake disc has deep grooves. The front brakes were ok.
I think it is a software bug.

Bill Foster

I'm going home!
Mar 6, 2019
Nashville
he drove with a gentle line, with about 3 small drifts. After 10 minutes (8 Miles) the rear brake got very hot, the pedal had no more pressure. Some Error Messages about the brake booster are coming.
The brake pads still had about 1.5mm. The brake disc has deep grooves. The front brakes were ok.
I think it is a software bug.
Ah ok. Rear pads usually have less material then the fronts when new, thats why I asked

kbecks13

Dec 27, 2017
SoCal
Anecdotally i noticed something similar the other day in terms of brake dust. I have way more dust on my rear wheels compared to the fronts with both using UP track pads when only doing street driving. Kinda odd.

MasterC17

Dec 3, 2015
USA
Stock rear pads go quick on track. I burned through 1.5 sets in six track days before purchasing RB XT-970's. Hoping they will last longer.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC