Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance rear brakes more used

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I found in a M3 performance (1.200 miles) that the rear brakes are very well used. The wear is significantly higher than the front axle.
I suspect that this only occurs in sporty driving. In track mode maybe much more.
Likewise, it is reasonable to assume that, even on wet roads, snow may wear even more. Traction control will play a role here.
Did someone drive at a racetrack with wet conditions?

Did you observe similar?

At Laguna in p3d- with r comps and suspension I can chew thru a brand new set of rear pads in one track day. This is on track mode. I did three days in a row at laguna and had to limp home and actually swapped pads at a supercharger in Gilroy to use pads that had just any bit of pad to not ruin my rotors. All the other Tesla owners at the supercharger looked at me like I had a third eye. Lol

• Funny
Reactions: gcmak
I've had the opposite experience. After a track day on stock P3D+ brakes, the fronts were toast and the rears were fine. After another track day on aftermarket pads and rotors, the cross-hatching on the front rotors is almost worn down and it still looks good on the rears.

he drove with a gentle line, with about 3 small drifts. After 10 minutes (8 Miles) the rear brake got very hot, the pedal had no more pressure. Some Error Messages about the brake booster are coming.
The brake pads still had about 1.5mm. The brake disc has deep grooves. The front brakes were ok.
I think it is a software bug.

he drove with a gentle line, with about 3 small drifts. After 10 minutes (8 Miles) the rear brake got very hot, the pedal had no more pressure. Some Error Messages about the brake booster are coming.
The brake pads still had about 1.5mm. The brake disc has deep grooves. The front brakes were ok.
I think it is a software bug.
Ah ok. Rear pads usually have less material then the fronts when new, thats why I asked

Anecdotally i noticed something similar the other day in terms of brake dust. I have way more dust on my rear wheels compared to the fronts with both using UP track pads when only doing street driving. Kinda odd.