Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Red brakes DO NOT fit 18" aero rims

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From my inside sales advisor + supervisor

"Checking in regarding the Model 3 Performance package!
I had the chance to confirm with my supervisor that the brake calipers are upgraded with the $5,000 performance upgrade package.
He also confirmed that the 18” Aero Wheels cannot fit with the upgraded brake calipers. If you wish to purchase a set of wheels with winter tires, the 19” Sport Wheels will fit. I really appreciate your patience while I received confirmation."

Makes finding a second pair of wheels hard! Wanted something that would increase range in the winter

When tire shops get their hands on this model, I guarantee they’ll find 18” wheels that fit. While notbthe Aeros, 18” in general will get better range due to the weight savings alone.

Glad that my hunch may be right re: Perdornance upgrade package has larger rotors/calipers.

Last edited:
When fire companies get their hands on this model, I guarantee they’ll find 18” wheels that fit. While notbthe Aeros, 18” in general will get better range due to the weight savings alone.

Glad that my hunch may be right re: Perdornance upgrade package has larger rotors/calipers.
It may be the [larger] red calipers alone that pushes it too far, so the larger disks could come on the base P and the 18" Aero rims fit [barely] over those and the smaller calipers. We've seen a picture of not-red calipers on the larger disks. ((A suspected test mule at a CA Supercharger, I want to say?))

Reactions: ℬête Noire
Now that these Performance cars are in stores, can someone just try to slap an aero wheel over the calipers and show how close the fit is? I still don't feel like I've seen definitive proof it wont work; other than speculation and the word of floor staff. Some of the images I'm seeing of the performance cars with upgraded calipers still seem to have quite a bit of room.

Now that these Performance cars are in stores, can someone just try to slap an aero wheel over the calipers and show how close the fit is? I still don't feel like I've seen definitive proof it wont work; other than speculation and the word of floor staff. Some of the images I'm seeing of the performance cars with upgraded calipers still seem to have quite a bit of room.
Tesla has confirmed this through multiple channels...

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
Tesla has confirmed this through multiple channels...
I am also very interested in looking into this more. Do you have any links to the multiple channels? I'd kind of like to see someone try.
When I look at the 20" wheels and performance brakes, it looks like there could be an inch to spare. I have a P3D on order, and I'm really interested in having the longer range in the winter from the standard 18" aero wheels.
Also, a decent pic of one of the wheels: P3d

I am also very interested in looking into this more. Do you have any links to the multiple channels? I'd kind of like to see someone try.
When I look at the 20" wheels and performance brakes, it looks like there could be an inch to spare. I have a P3D on order, and I'm really interested in having the longer range in the winter from the standard 18" aero wheels.
Also, a decent pic of one of the wheels: P3d
Here's another pic for your collection:
Rear:
C2li8Nc.jpg

Front:
JF9omPX.jpg

Trying to find my original sources with no luck.

Last edited:
I like 18's for the tire choices. The only reasonable price 18 inch wheel I found that could fit over brembos were Enkei PF01. This was on a Hyundai Genesis Couple, I think front calipers fit a 340mm rotor. I would love to get a set of performance calipers and install them on a non performance car

Here's another pic for your collection:
Rear:
C2li8Nc.jpg

Front:
JF9omPX.jpg

Trying to find my original sources with no luck.
When looking at other threads, apparently for the standard brakes, the rears are more limiting. The rear wheel picture above is quite good for estimation. I measured the width of the wheel and the gap. With this picture and another picture, the gap looks like it's less than 1". I came out with .77" to .83". Even a generous measurement still leads to .93". So, it seems like the only way to fit 18" wheels is if they have a thinner rim portion, or if there is more of a gap on the inside of the wheel than it looks like from the outside, or ...?

Either way, seems like it'll likely be aftermarket 19" rims for the winter then. Hopefully someone like Beg Ern can put this to an actual test and show that I'm wrong.

I should stop measuring, but I found this picture of a test mule showing what looks like greater than 1" (as measured about 1.3") gap. Maybe the red paint is just really really thick. :p
Did I see a Performance Model 3 mule yesterday?