Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Shocks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello Everyone

So I just wanted to share and give a quick review on the Unplugged Performance Plug-n-Play High-Performance Shocks for Air Suspension. I am not being paid by UP or endorsed by them at all just a normal customer.
I was on the fence for awhile whether I should buy them and put them in my P100D. I really was just thinking they would be too stiff for normal driving and even though I really want more performance I thought they would be too much. My previous car was a Nissan GT-R R35 and I currently still have some Mazda RX-7’s. These are sporty cars and handle the road really well. So going to the Tesla I always thought about how it was too soft a suspension for how much power and weight it has. Well after talking with Ben from UP he said they always thought the same as well that the Tesla’s suspension was too soft.

I have my car lowered with their air suspension lowering brackets as well from UP and I found when lowered without the new UP shocks it was a bit softer yet because of less air pressure in the shocks at the low setting.
Well after installing these which was really easy for me since I have worked on my other cars in the past as well. These shocks are a game changer!! All I can say to anyone thinking if they should do it or not, DO IT! You will not look back!

They make the car feel much more solid and it handles so much better. It feels like it is glued to the road. You can take corners like never before. The suspension feels much more matched to the power now of the P100D, moreover the ride is not harsh at all, yes the ride is a little stiffer but nothing really to noticeable. I would say this would still be a great choice for any model S though not just the performance models.
If anyone has any questions feel free to ask me. I am posting this on a few Facebook groups and TMC to get people aware of how good these are, Unplugged Performance did an amazing job of tuning these correctly for our cars. Definitely consider these if you want your Tesla to handle much better.

Here is the link to them if you want to check them out and again I am not being paid for this, this is just how much I love them.

Plug-n-Play High-Performance Shocks for Air Suspension - Unplugged Performance

John

Thanks John. I have been thinking about these. In fact, I just posted a thread asking about them and then found your thread. I did put Bilstein shocks on a 2000 Passat along time ago, but it was a huge hassle, spring compressors and all that. I assume this would be an easier job? How long did it take you, did you need any specialty tools?

Also I have a S75 RWD, and according to the description, I will need to find the SAS Front assembly’s from an all wheel drive. Any idea how much installing that complicates things?

Thanks

Just got these for my 2018 S 100D. As advertised, firms up the ride without getting too stiff, actually makes the car handle around corners like the 2019 Ravens. Very steady without any give. There’s maybe a little more compression damping so road joints and cracks are felt a bit more than the stock Bilsteins but nothing shakes the cabin. The best part is no nose dive or float anymore, the car recovers from bumps and settles quickly. Settings to soft all around.

Attachments

• 29F9DDEE-B734-42F8-91DE-4174457DA2F6.jpeg
    29F9DDEE-B734-42F8-91DE-4174457DA2F6.jpeg
    556.8 KB · Views: 137
  • 41D3E7D8-3F61-44AB-ACE6-9A81EA7D1774.jpeg
    41D3E7D8-3F61-44AB-ACE6-9A81EA7D1774.jpeg
    506.5 KB · Views: 75
  • F8F51DA7-26E9-42FC-A9E6-D111958748B0.jpeg
    F8F51DA7-26E9-42FC-A9E6-D111958748B0.jpeg
    284.9 KB · Views: 89
They're actually closer to $2400. That isn't totally ridiculous for good suspension, especially for a car that costs 6 figures. Like most things from Unplugged, however, the description skimps on technical details that would lend themselves to justify why those 4 dampers cost almost $2400. There's no mention of whether rebound and compression (high or low speed?) damping is adjustable independently or if the adjustments combine the two. Where the heck is the knob anyway, and are they adjustable once you have them on the car? Are they twin tube or monotube? Do they have bumpstops? What is the top mount like? Who actually makes the dampers?

Reactions: tm1v2 and Jpandes
Hello Everyone

So I just wanted to share and give a quick review on the Unplugged Performance Plug-n-Play High-Performance Shocks for Air Suspension. I am not being paid by UP or endorsed by them at all just a normal customer.
I was on the fence for awhile whether I should buy them and put them in my P100D. I really was just thinking they would be too stiff for normal driving and even though I really want more performance I thought they would be too much. My previous car was a Nissan GT-R R35 and I currently still have some Mazda RX-7’s. These are sporty cars and handle the road really well. So going to the Tesla I always thought about how it was too soft a suspension for how much power and weight it has. Well after talking with Ben from UP he said they always thought the same as well that the Tesla’s suspension was too soft.

I have my car lowered with their air suspension lowering brackets as well from UP and I found when lowered without the new UP shocks it was a bit softer yet because of less air pressure in the shocks at the low setting.
Well after installing these which was really easy for me since I have worked on my other cars in the past as well. These shocks are a game changer!! All I can say to anyone thinking if they should do it or not, DO IT! You will not look back!

They make the car feel much more solid and it handles so much better. It feels like it is glued to the road. You can take corners like never before. The suspension feels much more matched to the power now of the P100D, moreover the ride is not harsh at all, yes the ride is a little stiffer but nothing really to noticeable. I would say this would still be a great choice for any model S though not just the performance models.
If anyone has any questions feel free to ask me. I am posting this on a few Facebook groups and TMC to get people aware of how good these are, Unplugged Performance did an amazing job of tuning these correctly for our cars. Definitely consider these if you want your Tesla to handle much better.

Here is the link to them if you want to check them out and again I am not being paid for this, this is just how much I love them.

Plug-n-Play High-Performance Shocks for Air Suspension - Unplugged Performance

John
Hello John,
are you still happy with the Unplugged Performance Air Suspension?

Yup, it’s still on my wife’s Model S. I do think with lowering brackets on low it was the best but have since raised the car to OEM-like heights and is much more responsive than the stock air.
Thank you Enigmata ;)
Are they still silent since you installed them? Any weird noise or anything noticeable?
Even the last air suspension from Tesla (1067361-77-C) seems to get noisy at low speed after a while, there is a post of 64 pages on it:

Thank you Enigmata ;)
Are they still silent since you installed them? Any weird noise or anything noticeable?
Even the last air suspension from Tesla (1067361-77-C) seems to get noisy at low speed after a while, there is a post of 64 pages on it:
Yeah, I had that knocking from the front right suspension on the stock shocks. The new ones have been 100% silent
I drove a loaner S 75D when I took the 100D in for FSD upgrade and I have to say after having gotten used to the Unplugged shocks my initial feeling was... how ordinary. I can't even throw the car into a corner and blast out of it

The one thing I regret about the shocks is the behavior when that they feel less compliant the higher the ride height is. Something between 27-28" might be the sweet spot.

• Informative
Reactions: tm1v2 and jcpetit
Yeah, I had that knocking from the front right suspension on the stock shocks. The new ones have been 100% silent
I drove a loaner S 75D when I took the 100D in for FSD upgrade and I have to say after having gotten used to the Unplugged shocks my initial feeling was... how ordinary. I can't even throw the car into a corner and blast out of it

The one thing I regret about the shocks is the behavior when that they feel less compliant the higher the ride height is. Something between 27-28" might be the sweet spot.
Hello Enigmata,
did you install the Unplugged Lowering Kit along with the Unplugged shocks?
Were your shocks set to soft?