Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance spoiler starting to detach

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently noticed that the spoiler on my model Y is starting to come loose at the end. I scheduled a mobile service appointment for it (Oct 30), then noticed today that the same thing is happening on my model 3. I scheduled another service for that, but hopefully they can do both at the same time. Both cars are always garaged and have low mileage, and I can't think of any environmental reason for it other than heat. Anybody else notice this? You might want to check!

Pretty common for Model 3s. Not sure about Ys, but I wouldn’t be surprised.

I have my suspicions on what is causing it. I believe there is too much double sided tape and there is tension caused by the tape sticking where it’s not suppose to stick; sticks to a part of the trunk before it’s suppose to. I believe that cause I’ve seen spoilers placed on a trunk before the protective film is removed and they sit pretty flush.

For spoiler #3 (on spoiler #2 that is peeling away), I’m going to ask the installer to apply alcohol on the tape right before mounting the spoiler. That should allow the tape to stay into its natural orientation (without tension) before “grabbing” onto the spoiler as the alcohol dries.

Mine was doing this right off the factory floor. Mine has about 1" on the very end that's connected just fine, though is stretched and pulling away. The next 3" aren't connected at all, and then the rest of the spoiler is fine. They said they have to remove it and replace the entire spoiler.

spoiler issue is a known issue. They will replace as you guys have said. Im waiting but mine is detaching on right side at end - about 3 inches - where I see no tape! Has it retracted - perhaps. Love the bubblegum and bailing wire approach to the Tesla way!

So many threads on this already for the 3.

I think tesla uses weak tape and the water running down the trunk prob plays a roll in it lifting over time.

Doesn't help you guys but.....
Mine is perfect. I applied it with better tape and sealed the top and sides with black silicone so water can't get in. I bought it for $70 off someone who took it off because it lifted.

make the warranty claim and ask if you can keep the old one they take off. Sell the old one on eBay.

Mine had lifted on the passenger side when I first picked up the vehicle. Tesla service replaced with a second spoiler...that one had a smaller gap on the same side and then lifted like the original after 2 days.

I’d like an aftermarket spoiler that rises a little higher....looked around but I haven’t seen anyone Y owners with an aftermarket one. I would like a high quality alternative option to the factory spoiler.

That's ridiculous
Agree
Had to go the SC both times vs mobile coming out to fix it. picked up the car early June and noticed both corners were peeling back during delivery. Had a service appt to replace it within a few weeks. That replacement started to peel in the exact spots after a few weeks (mid July). Made another sc appt and had it replaced in sept. It’s been about 8 weeks and it’s holding on the corners.

Reactions: Young Phenom
I have a 2020 model y perf and the spoiler is lifting off on both ends. I am in TX and cop quite a bit of sun and heat (on black car). I have a home service scheduled. Hopefully the new methods are better, but maybe they need to go to mechanical fasteners.

I have a 2020 model y perf and the spoiler is lifting off on both ends. I am in TX and cop quite a bit of sun and heat (on black car). I have a home service scheduled. Hopefully the new methods are better, but maybe they need to go to mechanical fasteners.
My spoiler was loose on one end when my car was delivered. Service center installed a replacement that seems much more secure at the ends.

But unfortunately wasn't the cleanest install. Bits of the old mounting tape are visible on the paint.