Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance/Sport option

Will you be ordering the Sport option?

• Definitely! Gimmee gimmee!!!

Votes: 20 20.6%
  • Want it, but it depends on price.

Votes: 53 54.6%
  • Don't want it, I'll pass.

Votes: 24 24.7%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The PEM is pretty small and cylindrical. I commented on this to one of the engineers, and asked how the boards were arranged inside. He said that was proprietary...

There is a picture of the layout of the inside in one of the public filings they did a while back.
If they didn't want to say now, I guess I won't point anyone to it, but if you really wanted to know, you could search for it.

...One of the engineers was saying that they kept shrinking and shrinking the space he had to work with for electronics. He was challenged at every step...
I recall reading something similar about Prius evolution. Each new generation had some huge goal like half the cost, and half the size (for the drive-train components.) Continuous evolution and refinement. Just when you think you have seen it all...

Hmm... Hard disk density and silicon chip density is similar. They get more and more compact over the years, but many steps along the way involve re-inventing fundamental processes to get to the next level. It would be "easy" to stop and say you are "maxed out" on what can be done but then you push the engineers to rethink, and go back to the "drawing board" and come up with something more innovative.

I think I'm actually learning more by reading this forum than by attending the event. Some people seem to have much better luck extracting information than I did. They either tried harder or just happened to talk to the right guy!

+1. It was a "general public" event though, not really meant for "enthusiasts" who ask a lot of questions. That's my rationalization anyway.

I think Elon wanted this announcement to be his "Macbook Air in a manila envelope" surprise for everyone. It's possible that they weren't sure they could deliver the Sport at launch until the last minute. I think they could have sold out the Signature Edition months ago if this had been announced earlier.

If only he hadn't FORGOTTEN! *DOH*

You know what I mean :) Peeling off from 0-60 full-throttle anywhere around here will have the CHP on my tail in no time!

Man, no kidding. I saw more cops and speed traps in my 2 days on the road in CA than I see in a week or so here back home.

I had the definite impression that it would be available to all. In reality it probably doesn't make sense for smaller battery sizes.

I would love the Sport option but it depends on price - it's a family car, so how much is the difference between 5.6secs and 4.4secs worth?

P.S. I was told 4.4secs several times last night.
My concern is that they'll combine the Sport drivetrain w/ a bunch of other stuff in a package like the Roadster. I would have been interested in the Sport motor/PEM in my Roadster but have no need for adjustable suspension and whatever else they threw in there so went w/ a base model.

I spoke with the PEM manager who was standing next to the frame with the flat battery pack near the entrance. He said there are two coolant lines (one for PEM/motor and one for HVAC). I believe I understood him correctly.

I was told by my Ranger that there were two compressors: one for the PEM/motor, and one for the passenger compartment. That isn't inconsistent with 2 coolant lines, but to be clear, there is one compressor dedicated to the passenger compartment, and one dedicated to the PEM. The purpose is to avoid those hot periods we have in the roadster when the cooling is diverted to the PEM.

Hmm i wonder if they thought of this: 2 compressors means twice the chance of one of them breaking. Also, if one compressor is sitting idle, that means the car is lugging around a piece of machinery that is not adding function therefore decreasing range. If the unused cooling of the PEM compressor can be sent to the passenger compartment, then the setup would be no different compared to what we have in a Roadster. It would mean that the passengers would have max cooling when the PEM doesn't need it, and cooling diverted when the PEM does need it. Might as well have the same setup as the Roadster except with a bigger compressor.

As for this thread: can I get a Model S engine put into my Roadster? 415 N-m would help my Roaster a lot!

Last edited:
Since the cooling of PEM / Motor AND Batterie is quite essential on the Model S, I suspect they could use some kind of parallel setup or are able to switch the compressors to failover. Kind of Hot Standby in a RAID...

So I was told that they have plans on the drawing board for a Super Sport version that can get Roadster-like sub 4 second 0-60 times but it would require the addition of a second motor to propel the front wheels as well.

I would expect them to introduce this is in later model years after the Model X has been rolled out and they've perfected the AWD technology.

So I was told that they have plans on the drawing board for a Super Sport version that can get Roadster-like sub 4 second 0-60 times but it would require the addition of a second motor to propel the front wheels as well.

I would expect them to introduce this is in later model years after the Model X has been rolled out and they've perfected the AWD technology.

Did you hear that from a Tesla Motors employee? Or did you hear that from us on this forum? If that is true, then it gives me something to look forward to, because I was underwhelmed by the 0-60 in 4.5... I swear I heard Elon mention in various interviews that he was working on a sub-4 Model S, so I was disappointed to hear about the 4.5 (but glad to hear it was available at launch). If that can be verified, then my first Model S will be the slow 5.6 model, and I will get the sub-4 Model S when I get rid of my Roadster. (yes, I need 2 of these monsters!)

Yeah. 0-60mph in 4.5 seconds is nuts. You have to remember that this would be a ~10-14 mpg city car if it were a full sized sedan (ICE). The S65 AMG gets 12 city/19 mpg highway and goes 0-60 in 4.2 seconds for $210,000. The S63 AMG basically matches the Model S sport at 4.4 seconds and costs $140,000 (15/23 mpg).

Underwhelmed by 4.5 in a full sized sedan? Words fail me...

ok, ok. Maybe underwhelmed was the wrong word, but I was disappointed, because I was expecting the sport to be 3.9 or 4.0. 4.5 is fast. That was how fast my Mercedes SL55 AMG was, and until the Roadster, that was my fastest car ever. I used to think it was pretty fast, so I guess I could adjust back my expectations, and be happy.

You're comparing to a car (the SL55) that has a _base_ price of over 100k...

Pricing doesn't always mean much... If you're used to speed, you're used to speed. The Nissan GTR does the sprint in low or sub 3 second range and costs half what my car cost.

KGB, I will say though, that you adjust your butt-dyno to the car you're in. My q5 doesn't have a stellar 0-60, but for the behemoth it is (compared to my other cars) it feels pretty spirited. I imagine the 4.4 will feel pretty good considering the size of the vehicle. Much better than 5.6 anyway.