Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance/Sport option

Will you be ordering the Sport option?

• Definitely! Gimmee gimmee!!!

Votes: 20 20.6%
  • Want it, but it depends on price.

Votes: 53 54.6%
  • Don't want it, I'll pass.

Votes: 24 24.7%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I spoke with the PEM manager who was standing next to the frame with the flat battery pack near the entrance. He said there are two coolant lines (one for PEM/motor and one for HVAC). I believe I understood him correctly.

I had the cooling discussion too. I got though that it was a serial cooling system. On the motor end is the line in and the other inverter is the line out. They are hidden from view in pictures I could find.

The metal line on the exterior is also cooling for the gearbox. They could not do it any other way practiclly.https://picasaweb.google.com/102094971728636268612/TeslaModelSBetaEvent#5658817613259035218

I thought there was a
second line for the battery which also has opposing in and out ports.

did not ask about the cabin

Back on topic, has anyone noticed the results so far? More than 77% want the performance option, depending on the price of the option!

It's a much higher percentage than I would have thought. Consider that the least expensive car that could even be eligible for the performance option would be the base 300 miler at over $70k and that's without Nav, Pano roof, 21" wheels, special paint, etc.

I feel a new poll coming on. :smile:

77% is one thing, but there were 1000 users on these forums at the same time this past weekend. Only 47 of them voted yes in this poll...

Back on topic, has anyone noticed the results so far? More than 77% want the performance option, depending on the price of the option!

It's a much higher percentage than I would have thought. Consider that the least expensive car that could even be eligible for the performance option would be the base 300 miler at over $70k and that's without Nav, Pano roof, 21" wheels, special paint, etc.

I feel a new poll coming on. :smile:

Looks like the official line (from the site) is 4.5:

perf-option3.jpg

Please, please don't call the Model S a station wagon :)
I plan to drive mine to and from the railroad station with lots of passengers and luggage. I guess that makes it a station wagon, eh? :wink:
The Model S is actually eminently suitable for taxi service, the original function of 'station wagons'.
Though stylistically it's more of a hatchback, which is an even worse thing to call it.

It's actually not quite like any standard 'class' of car. It has an extremely aerodynamic shape *and* large passenger and cargo capacity, made possible by the lack of the ICE. I think we need to name a new category of car after it. "Family sports car" is as good as any.

I've been assuming that the Sport version will be $10k more but we've never seen it in writing. Given the usual accuracy of journalists, who knows if this one is accuratly quoting Musk on that $80k figure. If it is accurate, it makes the Signature Sport with extended warranty and without pano roof $100k, which is what I've been expecting.

It would be pretty cool. If the upgrade price is not obscene. I may get it. My goal is to show up other cars in terms of performance, driving experience and other things. I want to convince ICE driving people to get rid of their MKZ's and towncars and get the Tesla Model S.

Case in point, the article also states: "More than 6000 people have now paid deposits of $500 or more to secure the Model S..." (emphasis mine).
That quote is, technically, accurate; everyone has put down an amount that >= $500. It's also true that everyone's put down an amount that is >= $5,000. :smile: But, yeah, we'll know how much the sports option costs when we see the price list, and not before. $10k is a plausible number, especially if it includes higher-end seats with more lateral bolstering, possibly rear bucket seats, and maybe a few adjustments in the suspension.