Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Suspension not so Performance

1QYKMY

Jul 2, 2021
San Diego, California
Good evening all. I am the proud new owner of a Model Y Performance. I had never driven a MYP, let alone any Tesla for that matter, and after 2 weeks of ownership I am a bit disappointed. Maybe my expectations are too high, but I assumed the Performance version would have a much more aggressive suspension as there seems to be a fair amount of body roll when cornering. I have both the acceleration and steering mode set to Sport. I feel this car needs a high quality set of coilovers and aftermarket sway bars. Any thoughts?

jmaddr

Mar 29, 2019
Florida
First, why didn’t you start with a 3 if you had track abmbitions? Still, I’m with you…even the 3P needs a coil over setup for track work. It will transform your Y.

Reactions: Saxgod

jmaddr

Mar 29, 2019
Florida
Makes sense. Look at unplugged. They have a wicked fast Y. I dont think mountain pass makes sport coil overs yet for the Y but they might be in development.

1QYKMY

Jul 2, 2021
San Diego, California
Makes sense. Look at unplugged. They have a wicked fast Y. I dont think mountain pass makes sport coil overs yet for the Y but they might be in development.
I've read a bit about unplugged, and it sound like more of a "comfort" ride setup. Maybe they have various setups I haven't read about yet. I just read about the Ohlins that Redwood Motorsports offers. Very interesting.

thesmokingman

Jun 21, 2021
Socal
Don't forget to get some track wheels with those coilovers. The stock ubertines are boat anchors.

thesmokingman

Jun 21, 2021
Socal
I am pulling the trigger on the unplugged front/rear sway bars as my first suspension mod. I want to do the suspension mods in phases so that I can feel the difference as I progress. : )
You can usually leave the swaybars till later since coilovers will reduce the sway greatly, if you're getting higher spring rates which is kind of the point I think. And then add thicker bars as needed.

DayTrippin

Apr 30, 2021
Jax
Look at the Ohlins setup by Redwood motorsport. Worth the extra money over the UPP kit and it has a lifetime warranty.

https://redwoodmotorsports.com/collections/model-y/products/model-y-ohlins-dfv-coilovers-engineered-by-redwood-motorsports-™

1QYKMY

Jul 2, 2021
San Diego, California
Look at the Ohlins setup by Redwood motorsport. Worth the extra money over the UPP kit and it has a lifetime warranty.

https://redwoodmotorsports.com/collections/model-y/products/model-y-ohlins-dfv-coilovers-engineered-by-redwood-motorsports-™
I have definitely checked out that setup. I have no problem spending the extra money if the consensus is the Ohlins setup is a better product.

thesmokingman

Jun 21, 2021
Socal
Oh this is interesting about the Mountain Pass coilovers. They are using KW v3 I assume since those are the only 3/Y units they make. This gives the MPP a raise in my regards as I love the KW V3's on my twinscroll Subaru. I wonder what magic MPP have done to the KW valving. Being able to adjust low speed bump is crucial for comfort.

This suspension kit comes with a 2-year warranty (void with track-use, as is KW policy),

1QYKMY

Jul 2, 2021
San Diego, California
Does anyone happen to know the difference between the Ohlin Performance Sport vs. HPDE? Redwood's website does not provide details on each setup. I am pretty sure HPDE means they are more suited for the track.
Oh this is interesting about the Mountain Pass coilovers. They are using KW v3 I assume since those are the only 3/Y units they make. This gives the MPP a raise in my regards as I love the KW V3's on my twinscroll Subaru. I wonder what magic MPP have done to the KW valving. Being able to adjust low speed bump is crucial for comfort.
I've used KWs on a couple of my past cars. Very nice setup.

DayTrippin

Apr 30, 2021
Jax
As the saying goes, whatever floats your boat. My thought is talk to Redwood and get some input. My past experience is the Ohlins on other vehicles can have a pretty wide range of dampening. If I was living at the track all the time, I'd go for something track focuses. If it is a few times a year, I'd probably go for the performance setup. If you have great roads, not a lot of bumps, it might not matter as much anyway.

When we lived in Palo Alto, there were some great roads that I would hit every day that I could. While not perfect pavement, I would have probably gone with something like the HPDE to enjoy them the most. Well until you hit the legions of bicyclists that seemed to be on them when I wanted to run them.

Enjoy whatever you get. It will be a huge improvement.

1QYKMY

Jul 2, 2021
San Diego, California
As the saying goes, whatever floats your boat. My thought is talk to Redwood and get some input. My past experience is the Ohlins on other vehicles can have a pretty wide range of dampening. If I was living at the track all the time, I'd go for something track focuses. If it is a few times a year, I'd probably go for the performance setup. If you have great roads, not a lot of bumps, it might not matter as much anyway.

When we lived in Palo Alto, there were some great roads that I would hit every day that I could. While not perfect pavement, I would have probably gone with something like the HPDE to enjoy them the most. Well until you hit the legions of bicyclists that seemed to be on them when I wanted to run them.

Enjoy whatever you get. It will be a huge improvement.
I appreciate your feedback! I only intend on hitting the track (road racing) a few times the year. I intend on using the same OEM wheels/tires and brakes (with the exception of potentially upgrading the brake lines). I just got to figure just how much to spend on something like this.

Have a nice 4th of July!

Reactions: GeezerSquid

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC