Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance tire got sliced on Pothole. Replace 2 or just the one?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seems to be varying opinions on this.

Was driving through a single lane construction zone today with jersey barriers on both sides and think I caught the edge of a pothole I was trying to avoid with the limited space I had.

My wife ran a jack and one of my Autocross wheels out to me. I found 2 slices on the inside of the tire. I have an appointment at 8am to replace it tomorrow morning and they asked if I was doing 2 or just the one. I asked what I should do and they said it was up to me.

the other front is 6/32 and the rears are 5.5/32 with 7500 miles. Pilot sport 4S new are 9/32. Service center quote for 2 is $856 out the door. I’m wondering if I should just replace the one or both?

415029FF-BBBE-4F96-B280-9E44B94C839B.jpeg
BEF31588-C519-41F7-90C8-C340C785E119.jpeg
AD71966C-0529-447F-9330-AFD2A5B9140E.jpeg
B96F809B-2DFD-4E46-8695-6555003ACAFD.jpeg
FD6E5720-D6B6-4CD7-9257-EBB17C9536C0.jpeg

Change both, the diff will constantly have a differential speed with two mismatched tires, granted im sure it will be fine, but what are you going to do when the other side is worn but you still have life in your newer tire? Keep buying just one tire?

Make sure you give your wheels a spin and look at it closely from straight on, pay close attention to where it hit the pot hole, especially on the inner lip. I wouldn't doubt if there is a bend in the wheel as well. Even a small bend will give you a vibration that you can't fix.

Last edited:
At that point I’d be throwing away half a tire, about the same in theory as just replacing both except I’ll have a spare to keep in the garage. lol

It's got more , not less, than half the useful life.

Plus you'd maintain closer front to wear wear watch. (I don't think the system is that sensitive to that little differential, but it's something)

It's got more , not less, than half the useful life.

Plus you'd maintain closer front to wear wear watch. (I don't think the system is that sensitive to that little differential, but it's something)

There is no mechanical link between front and rear, shouldn’t matter. New tires on rear, existing up front, just won’t have to rotate for a while lol. I can shave them in drift mode if needed :p