Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance to Winter tire swap timing advice?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm in Virginia as well and I switched over last weekend. I've been caught in snow on summer tires once before (~15 years ago) and I will never again let that happen. Cold is manageable although you may damage the summer tires. My RE070s always had audible flat spots for the first couple miles if it was too cold. Snow driving on summer tires should be an automatic reckless driving ticket. It's that bad.

Reactions: pnwadventures
I appreciate all the replies! I’m a little late responding because, as I was about to arrange the tire swap, I got a note out of the blue from Tire Rack letting me know the 18” wheels/tires I bought in September (which their online configurator offered for my M3P) might have a problem with the wheel weights hitting the parking brake. This is apparently unique to the late model ’21s like mine. They basically said it might happen, it might not. I opted not to find out firsthand.

So, the previous tires (which were still packed and in the basement) are being picked up by FedEx on Monday. Meanwhile, I re-ordered 19” wheels and tires. Between the larger tires and the fact that tire prices have gone up at least $20 a tire since my September purchase, it all cost a nice chunk of change more than the first round. Such is life, I guess.

To be clear, I appreciate Tire Rack being proactive and glad they did it when they did (and not after I had started or done the swap). They’ve also been great about actively arranging the return outside of 30 days, waiving freight fees and restocking, etc… all of their own accord. I didn’t need to ask for any considerations (though I wish I could have gotten a little break on the replacements… but that stuff just costs more anyway).

I had already started a conversation with the SC about mobile coming to install the previous set. They have held firm so far on saying I have to bring the car and all four tires to the SC (2 hours away). I’m not even sure I can cram four tires in my car - I guess it’s possible with the seats down, though I don’t much like the idea with a white interior however you look at it (though I do have nylon totes I bought with the tires that make it less messy). For all of these reasons, I’m increasingly tempted to get it all done at a close by tire shop or garage where I can make two trips (if needed) to shuttle the tires back and forth for an appointment.

I do already own a new set of the BTLE TPMS sensors that I got from Tesla in September, so those need to be installed. Because of that, there was no point in my asking TR to mount and balance (a mistake I made on the first order even if it was free - it all has to be undone). Some shop needs to assemble and balance all the bits for me before the swap.

I don’t think there is any reason not to go to a good garage or tire shop locally for this. I’m going to see if any of them have Tesla experience first. I DO also own a set of jack pads with the little studs on them to fit my car that I’ll provide to the shop. Also, I thought there was a bolt used on the assembly line that likely has to be removed for clearance… anyone know for sure on this?

So I guess my question now is: thoughts on use of a local service and not the SC for the tire swap? Or do I get a shop to prepare the tires and then see if mobile will come do the swap? Leaning toward the former, but open to advice.

Also, it’s warming up into the 60s during the day again for a week starting this weekend (the freezing overnight temps this week are a bit of an early anomaly for us). That gives me a little wiggle room on stuff, I guess.

Thanks!

Halfpress, do you mind sharing what you paid all in and which wheels/tires you went with? I purchased a new winter 19" combo and went with Conti's extreme contact from Element Wheels.

Don't mind at all.

Note, I bought wheels that get the job done - not high end for style, per se. These seemed plenty agreeable.

I also decided to stick with Pirelli tires. These are the Tesla-rated, noise suppression version, too.

4x 235/40R-19 PIRELLI WINTER SOTTOZERO 3 T0 TESLA, NOISE CANCELLING SYS XL - Total: $1,381.40

4x 19X8.5 MSW TYPE 73 GLS GREY - Total: $851.68

4x Tesla BTLE TPMS Sensors - Total: $300

Next up will be fees for getting everything assembled and installed. Mr. Tire is saying about $120 or thereabouts.

Hope this helps!

Don't mind at all.

Note, I bought wheels that get the job done - not high end for style, per se. These seemed plenty agreeable.

I also decided to stick with Pirelli tires. These are the Tesla-rated, noise suppression version, too.

4x 235/40R-19 PIRELLI WINTER SOTTOZERO 3 T0 TESLA, NOISE CANCELLING SYS XL - Total: $1,381.40

Next up will be fees for getting everything assembled and installed. Mr. Tire is saying about $120 or thereabouts.

Hope this helps!

Nice, I like those rims! All in the price was pretty comparable to what I paid. I paid $2,700 but everything is mounted (tires/TPMS) and balanced and that includes shipping too.

These are the wheels I got

And the rubber

The DWS06 has been mentioned here on numerous threads so I felt pretty comfortable going with them. Decent balance between performance and functionality.

I don’t think there is any reason not to go to a good garage or tire shop locally for this. I’m going to see if any of them have Tesla experience first. I DO also own a set of jack pads with the little studs on them to fit my car that I’ll provide to the shop. Also, I thought there was a bolt used on the assembly line that likely has to be removed for clearance… anyone know for sure on this?

So I guess my question now is: thoughts on use of a local service and not the SC for the tire swap? Or do I get a shop to prepare the tires and then see if mobile will come do the swap? Leaning toward the former, but open to advice.
I was in a similar situation with my Tesla and mounting tires + wheels + TPMS, although I did not ask my local SC. I called a local tire shop and asked them to mount/balance the tires and TPMS. At first they said no because it was a Tesla (some liability issue, my guess...I did not press for more info). I explained to them they were loose mounts, or not on the vehicle. They seemed amenable to that. I did the swap at home after getting the tires mounted. So if you have the equipment to do it at home, and your local tire place can install for you, that's definitely an option.

Reactions: omarsultan
Is there a winter tire that’s quieter and more comfortable than the stock 20" Pirelli PZeros? If so, could I drive them year-round?
Vredestein Wintrac Pro. Awesome tires; CR not always right, but in any case these got highest rating of ANY tire they have ever tested; I use them on both Tesla M3P and my Series 1M BMW and would not hesitate to drive in summer in Chicago, tho you'd likely be better off with a top drawer A/S. I also switched, for summer, to 18" wheels with 265/40 Michelin P4S and that, too, would fix your "comfort" problem (not to mention pothole tolerance).

Don't mind at all.

Hope this helps!
Your link goes to a 27T tire vs. the Type 73 you describe. If you did in fact get the 73, any idea what the weight load rating is for those? i was thinking of getting the 18's for my model Y

Your link goes to a 27T tire vs. the Type 73 you describe. If you did in fact get the 73, any idea what the weight load rating is for those? i was thinking of getting the 18's for my model Y
Yeah - sorry about that. The text/links got crossed in the midst of my failed first order and change to both size and model.

What I ultimately ended up on wheel-wise is the Type 73:

I ended up 19", not 18" in the end. The wheels are still the Sottozeros.

Has been working really well, though I put them on with the first cold weather and then we promptly had unseasonably warm weather constantly after until recently. Now we're getting ice and snow, but I've had no cause to actually drive on it other than a minor test around the block a week ago. We are at least consistently having weather below 40 degrees, which was the bigger reason I went with the winter tires than the amount of snow and ice we get (though we do get some every year).

Not sure I can speak to the load rating with any real knowledge. I just know everything in the kit was declared compatible with my M3P and I've certainly seen nothing to suggest otherwise.

Reactions: gt2690b
Yeah - sorry about that. The text/links got crossed in the midst of my failed first order and change to both size and model.

What I ultimately ended up on wheel-wise is the Type 73:

I ended up 19", not 18" in the end. The wheels are still the Sottozeros.

Has been working really well, though I put them on with the first cold weather and then we promptly had unseasonably warm weather constantly after until recently. Now we're getting ice and snow, but I've had no cause to actually drive on it other than a minor test around the block a week ago. We are at least consistently having weather below 40 degrees, which was the bigger reason I went with the winter tires than the amount of snow and ice we get (though we do get some every year).

Not sure I can speak to the load rating with any real knowledge. I just know everything in the kit was declared compatible with my M3P and I've certainly seen nothing to suggest otherwise.
dern i think i found the rating looks like it might be ~1640 lbs not good for MY