Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance to Winter tire swap timing advice?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I understand the 20" Pirelli PZero's I have on my September '21 M3P aren't ideal once things are in the mid 40's and below. I bought new winter wheels/tires from Tirerack last month in anticipation of this being a seasonal swap for the coming years (18" Pirelli Sottozero tires and new appropriate wheels).

The question is when to make that change. We've flipped from abnormally warm here in Central Virginia to a cold front this week - but I suspect it will land somewhere in the middle again soon. How consistently should the temps be in a given range day and night to go ahead with swapping them out? I don't have a morning commute, so a lot of days I likely end up driving once things are above the 40s... so I don't know how strictly to abide by those temps. Don't want to have lousy stopping distance, nor do I want to prematurely wear out the winter tires if things get warmish again for weeks on end.

On a related note, the NWS making a Leeroy Jenkins reference brightened my morning a good bit:
Any advice from others who have to play the same seasonal tea leaves reading game? :)

I understand the 20" Pirelli PZero's I have on my September '21 M3P aren't ideal once things are in the mid 40's and below. I bought new winter wheels/tires from Tirerack last month in anticipation of this being a seasonal swap for the coming years (18" Pirelli Sottozero tires and new appropriate wheels).

The question is when to make that change. We've flipped from abnormally warm here in Central Virginia to a cold front this week - but I suspect it will land somewhere in the middle again soon. How consistently should the temps be in a given range day and night to go ahead with swapping them out? I don't have a morning commute, so a lot of days I likely end up driving once things are above the 40s... so I don't know how strictly to abide by those temps. Don't want to have lousy stopping distance, nor do I want to prematurely wear out the winter tires if things get warmish again for weeks on end.

On a related note, the NWS making a Leeroy Jenkins reference brightened my morning a good bit:
Any advice from others who have to play the same seasonal tea leaves reading game? :)

Switch now, so you won't be caught out when the weather flips quickly again.

Winter setup is about risk mitigation. Losing a bit of performance driving Sottos in the warm and dry is not a big risk. Losing a lot of performance driving PZeros in greasy conditions is a huge risk.

Marginal "wear" shouldnt be in the equation at all.

Reactions: android04
That's kind of been how I'm leaning - rather be safe than overly worried about wearing out the tires prematurely. Just wasn't sure how hard and fast the 40's temperature rules were in both performance of the summer tires or premature wear of the winter ones. I'll go ahead with getting it done.

Related question is Tesla Mobile doing it or taking it to a trusted garage or tire shop. This is obviously my first swap, so I've got both the Tesla BTLE TPMS sensors (which I have on hand but need to be installed in the tires) to be handled as well as the swap itself. If this is still true, I think there's an assembly line bolt the installer needs to be aware of removing on the M3P that could present issues. Tirerack also sent me a notice just yesterday that they are now aware of POSSIBLE conflicts in my generation M3P and the wheel weights from the balancing - but that's hit or miss (literally and figuratively). So leaning toward Tesla handling it the first time - but not sure if Mobile is ready to deal with the TPMS install as well on site? I'm 2+ hours from the SC and not sure I can fit four tires in the car to go there anyway. :)

I just swapped mine before Holloween. I do it around the same time every season.

Interesting, I asked this question on another thread. We have a 2021 model 3 LR AWD with Aero wheels and a spare set of winter tyres on the same 18” aero wheels. We have ordered a performance M3 and I was hoping the 18” Aero Wheels would fit the performance too. I was hoping they would but was worried about the larger performance calliper and brake discs. Does this mean they are a straight swap as using the wheels and winter tyres is important for us this winter. Thanks in advance

Interesting, I asked this question on another thread. We have a 2021 model 3 LR AWD with Aero wheels and a spare set of winter tyres on the same 18” aero wheels. We have ordered a performance M3 and I was hoping the 18” Aero Wheels would fit the performance too. I was hoping they would but was worried about the larger performance calliper and brake discs. Does this mean they are a straight swap as using the wheels and winter tyres is important for us this winter. Thanks in advance
The 18" wheels WILL NOT FIT the Performance. The brake calipers are too big.

I swap mine each year about mid-October, and leave the winter tires on until early April. I always tag my wheels with the mounting position when I put them on next time so they're essentially being rotated. Having a spare set of wheels for my Michelin Alpins works well. I have the covers from Tire Rack that protect them while stored. I now have over 62,000 miles on the car, and will get one more season out of each set of tires before needing to replace them. I prefer to be ready for whatever weather comes my way, and here in the Seattle area that timing for the swaps has worked well over the past three years.

I'm a little further north of you, but I went ahead and did the switch (I run all-seasons instead of winter tires though.) Generally, I typically do it around Thanksgiving, and swap back in late Feb. I think it just depends on what you need.

Around here, we're nearing the point of the year where the night can be below freezing, but the day is relatively nice.

Here in SE Wisconsin I put the winter tires on on Thanksgiving and take them off on tax day. Of course, only you can be the judge knowing your climate best. You don't want to be caught out on summer performance tires if the snow is flying. No, no, no.
You might want to look into Nokian WR G4 tires. They're available in 235/45-18 and 235/40-19 sizes but not a 235/35-20 (245/40-20 is their only 20" size and is probably too tall) so you'd have to downsize to 19" wheels.

You might want to look into Nokian WR G4 tires. They're available in 235/45-18 and 235/40-19 sizes but not a 235/35-20 (245/40-20 is their only 20" size and is probably too tall) so you'd have to downsize to 19" wheels.
Quite familiar with Noklian Hakkas. Had 'em on my last two cars. Awesome. Unequaled. Aren't the WR G4 tires more of an all weather (year round) tire? For me, if I am going to have a set of winter tires I am going all in.

Downsizing to 19" wheels with a taller profile and a narrow tread would be better for winter anyway.

Quite familiar with Noklian Hakkas. Had 'em on my last two cars. Awesome. Unequaled. Aren't the WR G4 tires more of an all weather (year round) tire? For me, if I am going to have a set of winter tires I am going all in.

Downsizing to 19" wheels with a taller profile and a narrow tread would be better for winter anyway.
Ugh. I replied to the wrong post. I meant to reply to Skateboardgolf.