TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Performance trim options

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by Dan5, Feb 9, 2012.

?

Which performance trim option will you get?

1. Banana Leaf

14 vote(s)
    28.6%
  2. Carbon Fiber

27 vote(s)
    55.1%
  3. Lacewood

3 vote(s)
    6.1%
  4. Piano Black

5 vote(s)
    10.2%
  1. Dan5

Dan5 Member

#1 Dan5, Feb 9, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2012
    Torn between Carbon Fiber and Banana Leaf

The carbon fiber makes it exclusive

The banana leaf makes it a sleeper and looks more classy

2. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

Carbon Fiber is sweet on ANYTHING.

A rather large sedan is sort of a sleeper anyway.

The only thing that could compete would be Titanium, but I probably wouldn't even go for that.

3. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

I'm going to need to see them (and the final dash) to be 100%, but I think I'm going for CF. None of the other options appeal to me except MAYBE piano black. I'd love a brushed aluminum and CF mix tho

4. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

I liked the idea of the Banana Leaf, but when I saw it at the Factory Event I was very disappointed by how it looked. I've heard they've improved it; if so then I may reconsider... BUT...

I rather like carbon fiber, so that's probably what I'll do regardless.

5. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

I worry that the CF is going to look dated. I'm not a fan of the "raw industrial materials" look in design or architecture, and CF falls squarely into that category.

A Santana Row rep told me that Tesla was not satisfied with the banana-leaf inserts that they were shipped for the original betas, but it's what they had so they used them. The next versions should be less glossy and more nuanced. We'll see. Unless it's been significantly improved, I'm in for the lacewood.

6. Andrew Wolfe

Andrew Wolfe Roadster 472 - S 440

I like Piano Black. I'd also like brushed aluminum. I had that in my 635CSi many years ago and found it much nicer than wood.
    However, since I'm going to lay out an absurd amount of money for an exclusive edition of the car, I'm going to get the matching exclusive CF.

7. Jaff

Jaff Active Member

CF on a performance vehicle adds to the "I mean business" personna of the car...

When in Rome, ...

8. Beavis

Beavis Signature 991

I voted BL because I liked the look at the Oct event but I haven't seen the CF yet.

9. strider

strider Active Member

CF here all the way.

10. ETM

ETM Member

im torn between grey or black leather with carbon fiber and tan with lacewood. but i think im more likely to go with the cf.

11. Sig698

Sig698 Model S Sig Perf #698

Planning on carbon fiber, but have to see how well it goes with the rest of the interior first.

12. goyogi

goyogi Member

Hmmmmm...time to make some brushed aluminum inserts for my S. That would look sweet.

13. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

There were metallic inserts shown for the Model X last night. A pity they aren't porting those to the Model S.

14. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Here's a sorta crappy pic of the carbon fiber. Both it, and the banana leaf were matte, but it could be because of how they were mounted:

2012-02-09 21.25.43.jpg

15. tdelta1000

tdelta1000 Active Member

After seeing the Lacewood...I'm sold. It is beautiful.

16. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

I can't decide on which leather color to get. I think that will have a lot to do with the choice of carbon fiber or not. I think black leather and the carbon fiber would blend together too much. Maybe the saddle color with CF.

17. StephRob

StephRob Member

After seeing all the options at the X event, I'm sorry to say I'm not a big fan of any of them. The lacewood has potential but it has an odd, matte finish on it. I makes it not really look like wood at all to me. Very strange looking. The banana leaf was my favorite option, but I don't love it. Too stripy and kind of a cool tone (not cool good, cool as opposed to warm - kind of grayish). I wish they had some beautiful warm walnut option. CF is too masculine for me (my husband likes it though of course!) and the piano black just looks like black plastic. Is it? Really wish they had a nicer wood option! Actually on the Model X interior concept board they had a nice wood - wenge I believe it was. I'd like that on my S!

18. Mycroft

Mycroft Life happens

For me, I like a nice wood finish without the varnish. It feels like wood. But you can always have a clear-coat applied once you have the car.

19. evinfairfax

evinfairfax Member

I hope it is not glossy also. Our local Tesla store apparently isn't important enough to have wood or leather samples yet, but I am looking forward to seeing the lacewood. I like what Audi is doing now with their non-glossy wood.

20. Andrew Wolfe

Andrew Wolfe Roadster 472 - S 440

Ever see the dash on an old Triumph? The problem is that without heavy varnish the sun and dry air will make it deteriorate in a few years. Oiling the wood helps, but few modern car buyers will do that.
    Occasionally you see a matte varnish that looks like real wood - but far too often the "make it last the lifetime of the car" requirement results in wood that is indistinguishable from wood-colored plastic. That's why I prefer other trim finishes like aluminum and CF. My latest car has black anodized aluminum textured to look like CF. Pretty hard to tell the difference and much cheaper.