Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance upgrade brake size

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve got a Y Performance on order without Performance Upgrade package. I like everything about the PUP except the 21” Uberturbine wheels. 21” wheels are too big, that is, the sidewall is too small, for where the car will be driven. I think I’ll change my order to include the PUP with the intention of trading the wheels with another owner soon after taking delivery. My plan is to run 19” summer wheels and 18” winter wheels, but I question if the brakes will allow the use of 18” wheels. Anyone have any insights as to the minimum wheel size that can be used? Thanks.

I’ve got a Y Performance on order without Performance Upgrade package. I like everything about the PUP except the 21” Uberturbine wheels. 21” wheels are too big, that is, the sidewall is too small, for where the car will be driven. I think I’ll change my order to include the PUP with the intention of trading the wheels with another owner soon after taking delivery. My plan is to run 19” summer wheels and 18” winter wheels, but I question if the brakes will allow the use of 18” wheels. Anyone have any insights as to the minimum wheel size that can be used? Thanks.

I am planning on replacing the 21" Uberturbines with 20" Sportwheels from Model 3 with 255/40R20 tires square set up.

Someone asked the same question, will the 18" Aero Wheels fit the Model Y break calipers....the answer:

Front yes, I was able to put and rotate clear of the front calipers.

The rear - likely not. I'm not confident it will fit based on my rudimentary measurements so did not mount it.

Rear of 18" Aero wheel. I noted the radius is about 8 3/8 inches while the rear break calipers are at 8 4/8 inches - too close.

Might have to consider if with those balancing weights.

To be clear, I am not using the 18" Aero wheels. I just mounted it to see clearance.

20200317_141535.jpg
20200317_145032.jpg
20200317_145040.jpg
20200317_145021.jpg
Screenshot_20200317-222609_Video Player.jpg
Screenshot_20200317-222740_Video Player.jpg
20200317_151941.jpg

@ryanshawtech

Last edited:
We are doing the same thing swap ur 21 up for our 20 from our 3 when we do long trips and r the winter

Please know that the 20" Sportwheels from Model 3 are not made for the Model Ys weight.

Although they wheels from 3 and Y share the same bolt patterns and they fit in the Y, we do not know the LOAD Rating of these wheels.

I am still looking for Load Rating for the 20" Sportwheels - that's holding me up from installing them on the Model Y.

Reactions: preilly44
Please know that the 20" Sportwheels from Model 3 are not made for the Model Ys weight.

Although they wheels from 3 and Y share the same bolt patterns and they fit in the Y, we do not know the LOAD Rating of these wheels.

I am still looking for Load Rating for the 20" Sportwheels - that's holding me up from installing them on the Model Y.

Check this out this should answer all your questions:

The Tesla Model Y Wheel and Tire Guide

Reactions: RoBoRaT