Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Upgrade Dilemma; 3 Questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have ordered a M3P, but delayed it by at least a month due to the CV crisis. Now I am re-considering the "free" Performance Upgrade because it only comes with summer tires and 20" "Performance" wheels, which have many drawbacks in my case (see list below) and may not really improve straight line performance. I would prefer the 18" Aero Wheels with Michelin all season tires. You can order the Performance model 3, but without the Performance Upgrade, which means you Don't get 7 performance features listed on the design your Model3 website.

Q1: For $8K above the Dual Motor AWD, what comes with the M3P minus the Performance Upgrade...just more powerful motors? FYI: Tesla Chat could not answer this, but took my number and someone will call, but I will believe that when it happens. I have not found Tesla to be responsive in answering questions.

The 7 Performance Upgrade features, beginning with the 20" Gray Performance Wheels, include two that I really want:

1. Bigger brakes. There are aftermarket 18" wheels, e.g. from TSportline that work with the performance brakes, so I could go ahead with the Performance Upgrade, then immediately sell the 20" Gray Performance Wheels and summer tires, if any one would be interested. Or I could have a fun-filled summer, then sell the used set in the fall.

2. track mode. This is a software only feature. I can't believe that Tesla doesn't include it in the M3P even without the upgrade

Q2: Has anyone faced this dilemma and what was your solution?

Drawbacks of 20" "Performance" wheels:
A. Really are not practical in New England weather, including deadly potholes hiding in puddles. There have been several YouTube videos that show the vulnerability of these wheels, especially in a car with no spare or jack. Even that would not help as in one case where both right side wheels were destroyed by the same pothole.
B. Limited selection of tires, especially winter or all-season tires like the Nokian WR series that has worked well on our past Saabs and current Volvo and Acura. I have the equipment, but twice a year wheel changes are getting more difficult as I age, thus would prefer an all-season solution.
C. Given the Aero foil spokes, they should be directional (as in past Saabs), but appear to be all the same. So they suck in air on the left side and out on the right side.
D. With the rim lower and sticking out more than the sidewall, they are more vulnerable to road rash.
E. They are heavy, I think by 8 pounds over the stock 18" Aero wheels, according to one YouTube video, adding lots of rotational inertia.
F. They have much more drag, reducing the range from 322 to 299 miles.

Q3: Given E. and F. why is the 0-60 time claimed to be 3.2 seconds for both? Shouldn't it be FASTER with the lighter, lower drag 18" wheels?

• Informative
Reactions: Arctic_White
Since it’s no longer a paid option, why wouldn’t you get it? Sell your 20” take-off and buy 18s. You get everything you want and break even depending on the 18s you get. Not getting it to me is just financially irresponsible and drops resale.
Thanks. I probably will do that as I originally planned, but just like to get answers to fully understand the alternatives.

Q2: Has anyone faced this dilemma and what was your solution?

Yes, I was confronted with same dilemma, though my circumstances were slightly different.
I wanted the performance upgrade for my Model Y preorder,... I guess that it is a little mid-life crisis :)
But living here in Colorado I rejected the (stupid) wheels so that meant I had to drop the performance package.
I will not buy a car with wheels that are fragile, ugly, slow, uncomfortable,..
When they came out with the new definition where I could opt out of the "Performance Option":
  • Increased top speed from 145mph to 155mph - my car will never go this fast == don't care
  • 21’’ Überturbine Wheels - rejected,
  • Performance Brakes - I would "like" these but I bet that I use multiple high performance stops back to back only a few times in my life
  • Lowered suspension - this is a major downgrade for me
  • Aluminum alloy pedals - don't care (like really, really don't care)
So I changed my order to a "Performance Model" but to exclude the "Performance Upgrade".
To me it seems really really unfair that this configuration costs the same compared to adding all those things in.
I almost used that list of extra loot in a justification to buy the performance mode in the first place :oops:

Q3: Given E. and F. why is the 0-60 time claimed to be 3.2 seconds for both? Shouldn't it be FASTER with the lighter, lower drag 18" wheels?

They were just testing Model Y: Tesla Model Y wheels and its impact on 0-60 acceleration
Smaller lighter wheels (18″ Martian MWO3 Forged) ran 0.32 second faster 0-60 time.

What is up with these STUPID 21" wheels?
But I would like Überturbine 18" wheels :)
Usually Tesla puts function before vanity.

Additional question, related to Q3.

Following are derived from the Tesla Website "Select Your Car" for M3.

M3 Variant / Range-Mi. / Top Speed- mph/ 0-60 mph (seconds)
2 Motor AWD / 322 / 145 / 4.4
Perf non PUP / 322 / 145 / 3.2
Perf with PUP / 299 / 162 / 3.2

Q4: Given that the Performance model without PUP has more power, hence a much quicker 0-60 time than the 2 Motor AWD, why do they both have the same top speed? Not that I would ever push it that high:) Perhaps it is governed to avoid exceeding the tire rating?

Last edited:
Track mode is included even if you don't get the PUP.

If you skip the PUP, you get the performance software with the non-performance hardware. That's the difference.
Tesla Corporate called back today and said that Track Mode is NOT included if you don't get PUP. All you get is more power. Some buyers who ordered M3P without PUP, as a sleeper, returned the car within the 7 day period. As jmaddr wrote, the resale value of a M3P without PUP would be less.

Tesla Corporate called back today and said that Track Mode is NOT included if you don't get PUP. All you get is more power. Some buyers who ordered M3P without PUP, as a sleeper, returned the car within the 7 day period. As jmaddr wrote, the resale value of a M3P without PUP would be less.

There's a ton of posts on the forum here about track mode on the stealth performance.

There's a ton of posts on the forum here about track mode on the stealth performance.

Thats totally true, but those are not people who bought the car when the "PUP" was changed to a "free" option (meaning that you could actually order a steath car and not just find one). We know for a fact that "stealth" Model 3Ps get track mode when they were the ones that people bought that were not "factory ordered" cars.

We currently dont know that track mode comes with the new stealth cars coming out of the factory 100%. They already dis incentivize people from getting the non PUP package cars by making it be the same price. This would be another way to do that.

Reactions: destructure00
Thats totally true, but those are not people who bought the car when the "PUP" was changed to a "free" option (meaning that you could actually order a steath car and not just find one). We know for a fact that "stealth" Model 3Ps get track mode when they were the ones that people bought that were not "factory ordered" cars.

We currently dont know that track mode comes with the new stealth cars coming out of the factory 100%. They already dis incentivize people from getting the non PUP package cars by making it be the same price. This would be another way to do that.

All good points here.

Prior to putting the P3D- back on the menu earlier this year, all Ps came with track mode- regardless of + or - the PUP.

I'm not sure we've seen anyone take delivery of a P3D- since the change report either way if they got it or not.

Also be aware Teslas 0-60 times are dishonest bullshit.

They measure the P different from the non-P, to make the gap look larger than it is.

Today, a P does about 3 flat 0-60, and a LR AWD does about 3.9 without the $2000 acceleration boost, and about 3.5 LR AWD with the boost....if you actually measure them all using the same yardstick (including 1 foot rollout like most car mags do in their testing)

Reactions: petergy
Prior to putting the P3D- back on the menu earlier this year, all Ps came with track mode- regardless of + or - the PUP.

I'm not sure we've seen anyone take delivery of a P3D- since the change report either way if they got it or not.

Also be aware Teslas 0-60 times are dishonest bullshit.

They measure the P different from the non-P, to make the gap look larger than it is.

Today, a P does about 3 flat 0-60, and a LR AWD does about 3.9 without the $2000 acceleration boost, and about 3.5 LR AWD with the boost....if you actually measure them all using the same yardstick (including 1 foot rollout like most car mags do in their testing)

Thanks for this Interesting info. P3D+ is Model 3 Performance with PUP and P3D- is Model 3 Performance without PUP?
Never heard of the $2000 acceleration boost..is it just software or hardware as well? It doesn't show up on the Tesla website.

Again, the Lead Tesla Advisor called back from Freemont California today and said that Track Mode is NOT included if you don't get PUP. All you get is more power. Shouldn't he know or would I have to ask Elon himself?

Last edited:

Thanks. It certainly has disincentivized me.

Thanks for this Interesting info. P3D+ is Model 3 Performance with PUP and P3D- is Model 3 Performance without PUP?
Never heard of the $2000 acceleration boost..is it just software or hardware as well? It doesn't show up on the Tesla website.

It's software, only for LR AWD cars...it'll show up under "upgrades" in the Tesla app for LR AWD (not available for any RWD or P model).

Tesla Model 3 does 0-60 mph in 3.48 seconds after Acceleration Boost upgrade

Testing where a guy put down a 3.48 0-60 with it (measured the same way as the P)

Again, the Lead Tesla Advisor called back from Freemont California today and said that Track Mode is NOT included if you don't get PUP. All you get is more power. Shouldn't he know or would I have to ask Elon himself?

I mean... the regular advisers should know this stuff too- but they get basic details wrong all the time, and contradict each other frequently.

It wouldn't shock me if that guy is right- but it wouldn't shock me if he wasn't either.

Elon himself stated all performance models get track mode FWIW, though that was a while ago-back when it wasn't clear if the P3D- would get it or not...and he confirmed they would.

Elon Musk on Twitter

They could always have changed their mind I guess... but all of em delivered through end of 2019 at least did get it.

Just buy the performance, sell the 20s and get some 19s. You will make $1500 minimum.

If you don't care for the brakes, just buy an AWD.

yeah- to my mind if a given buyer has no interest in actually tracking the car, the LR AWD with boost is your best bang/buck... (it used to be the P3D- before they jacked the price up another 5 grand, to sit at 7k more than the LR AWD).... in that situation neither the brakes or track mode would do you any good either way... and this way you're not stuck with the 20" boat anchors and less range either....and $5000 more to get nothing but 0.5 quicker 0-60 seems like poor value.

If you DO plan to track it....I hate the 20s, but I guess if the track mode thing for 2020 models turns out true it's really the only option worth considering.