Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Upgrade Package and Ludicrous Mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking at ordering a P3D soon and am wavering on the exterior $5k option for the "Performance Upgrade" package. One reason I'm considering it is to ensure the highest likelihood that my car would be capable or being upgraded to the potential ludicrous mode later on.

Performance Upgrade adds:
  • 20” Performance Wheels
  • Performance Brakes
  • Carbon fiber spoiler
  • Lowered suspension
  • Aluminum alloy pedals
  • Increased top speed from 145mph to 155mph
Seems mostly cosmetic asside from "Performance Brakes" and Lowered suspension which seems to unlock the 155mph speed.

Otherwise I'm considering skipping the package and getting my own wheels.

...Performance Upgrade adds:
  • 20” Performance Wheels
  • Performance Brakes
  • Carbon fiber spoiler
  • Lowered suspension
  • Aluminum alloy pedals
  • Increased top speed from 145mph to 155mph
Seems mostly cosmetic asside from "Performance Brakes" and Lowered suspension which seems to unlock the 155mph speed...

I think the base Performance model gets 155 mph. The options package is secondary to the "drivetrain". Therefore - nobody knows, please, no "there is 0% chance..." comments - I would assume the base Performance model would get any possible Ludicrous upgrade down the road. It has all the mechanics for it - same motors, same battery, same testing. But that's just my guess.

• Disagree
Reactions: cizUK
I think the base Performance model gets 155 mph. The options package is secondary to the "drivetrain". Therefore - nobody knows, please, no "there is 0% chance..." comments - I would assume the base Performance model would get any possible Ludicrous upgrade down the road. It has all the mechanics for it - same motors, same battery, same testing. But that's just my guess.
I checked my local SC and they confirmed that the base performance is 145mph. The seceret sauce is the "up to" statement on page 1 of the config...
"Model 3 Performance includes:

• Quicker acceleration: 0-60 mph in 3.5s
  • Top speed: up to 155 mph
  • Premium Black Interior
  • Additional upgrades, exclusive to Performance"

"ludicrous mode" what makes you think there is a an L option, the real question would be "track mode" considering the bigger wheals, enable the bigger / better brakes, is track mode going to be offered for on the P regardless? or just the upgraded? $5000 for brakes and wheels is a lot, if there is truly no difference..

"ludicrous mode" what makes you think there is a an L option, the real question would be "track mode" considering the bigger wheals, enable the bigger / better brakes, is track mode going to be offered for on the P regardless? or just the upgraded? $5000 for brakes and wheels is a lot, if there is truly no difference..
Mostly this:
upload_2018-8-13_6-43-20.png

Reactions: Mayhem and kbecks13
I don't think the 155mph is "unlocked," so to speak, I assume the improvement is mostly secondary to the physics of the wheel size/tire rating. I'm a novice so take my opinion with the appropriately sized grain of salt. I'd imagine though and "L" option would be an OTA update. This my hope anyway as I have the stealth PM3

Last edited:
I checked my local SC and they confirmed that the base performance is 145mph. The seceret sauce is the "up to" statement on page 1 of the config...
"Model 3 Performance includes:

• Quicker acceleration: 0-60 mph in 3.5s
  • Top speed: up to 155 mph
  • Premium Black Interior
  • Additional upgrades, exclusive to Performance"

You're right - I just double-checked.

upload_2018-8-13_11-47-7.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-8-13_11-46-8.png
    upload_2018-8-13_11-46-8.png
    22.4 KB · Views: 37

Two years old. I made a thread here:

Model 3 Ludicrous Mode - No news in over 2 years?

I HIGHLY doubt Tesla offers ANYTHING to the 3P+ (+ meaning "performance" upgrade package) above and beyond what is listed because it will piss off a ton of people.

TMC would crash from all the complaints like.. I WOULD HAVE BOUGHT the + option if I knew a,b,c,d,e,f,g,h, etc.

Right now.. even 3P- people didnt choose 3P+ because they could buy better wheels, brakes, and tires for 5K aftermarket and expect access to the same Track Mode. I don't disagree with them.

Where they might get burned however is Tesla might just say - hey we didn't certify the stuff you bought from Andy Auto Sport so as a CYA, no track mode for you.