Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Upgrade Price Change!--What does this mean for AWD owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, I just found out that the $5000 performance package (20" wheels, bigs breaks and spoilers, aluminum pedals) are now free, or bundled with the $11,000 performance upgrade. I know that a lot of 3PD- and 3PD+ owners are very upset and venting in the other thread. I feel bad for them.

But there are a lot of AWD owners like me. What does this mean for us? Since the $11,000 now includes the $5000 Performance package, then does this mean it costs only $6000 to software unlock and upgrade to the performance model and get 3.5 sec 0-60 mph acceleration!!

How many AWD owners would be willing to pay $6000 to software unlock to the performance model? I would do it!

Can someone hurry and tweet Elon now, while he is responding to all the tweets. Maybe he will say yes.

I don't have a Twitter account.

• Funny
Reactions: P85_DA
It makes good business sense for Elon to do this. Imagine at $6000 a pop. If 10,000 AWD owners upgrade, that is $60M. All he has to do is have his IT guy email all the AWD owners and collect their credit card numbers and and do a software update. Almost zero expense and complete profit. If 20,000 owners upgrade that is $120M.

It is better to allow the upgrade now rather than wait one or 2 years later when Model Y is about to be released. People are less likely going to put in an additional $6000 to upgrade at later time. Their attention might be shifted to Model Y. So milk it now.

Of course Tesla would only allow owners who already took delivery prior to October 26, 2018. This will prevent people from buying an AWD today and upgrade to performance for only additional $6000.

Yeah, I know Elon said that the performance motors are specially selected, sorted, but I highly doubt that it was actually done. My hunch is that during the chaotic production ramp up, they probably did not have the time to sort and test all motors. They probably just put in all the same motors and software lock the AWD version. There were reports where people picking up their performance model only to find that is was just an AWD on the screen. Then Tesla employee made few changes on the network and the screen then shows dual motor with red underline.

By the way, Elon said all previous P3D owners will have free supercharging for life or get their $5k refunded. He then said he was taking a break from Twitter so perhaps someone at HQ kicked him off for making too big of a promise. But chances are you'll likely get a refund.

• Informative
Reactions: boaterva
The P is just not a software unlock.

Yes, it is.

One way you can tell is there's only 1 part number for drive units front and rear. Across all LR models.

https://epc.teslamotors.com/#/systemGroups/47386

Tesla Parts Catalog said:
ASY,3DU, Front DU, IGBT-HC
For all AWD M3 cars. Only to use as Front DU

It's literally the same drive unit in the front in all AWD model 3s, P or not.

The only differences are in software.

https://epc.teslamotors.com/#/systemGroups/47412

Tesla Parts catalog said:
ASY,3DUR,MOSFET
Only for VINs with 75 kWh (E3) battery pack, Option Code BT37. Comes pre-filled with oil

It's literally the same drive unit in the rear on all LR model 3s, P or not, AWD or not. The only differences are in software.

Only the SR/MR will have a different one (which isn't in the catalog yet).

So while I'm sure they test drive units, they apparently found the results so good across the board that there was no value in actually separating "special" ones out for P models.