Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Upgrade Price Change!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Right. I bet there are others in my boat who bought the car but didn't qualify for the tax rebate.
I don't think Tesla should price their cars to the vagaries of tax policies anyway, but that's just me.
I'm retired, relatively asset-rich but income-poor (just some airbnb income). That's why.

I am not retired but did not get the full 7500. I only received roughly half. The current tax code also lost me around 1400 of the rebate total compared to my 2017 taxable income which would have given me about 3/4 of the credit.

Having 50% of your income non taxable is lame in this ONE particular situation.

None of the Model 3 variants are competing with anything Porsche sells today. The Model 3 Performance competes against the Audi S4/S5 and BMW 340, maybe the RS and M models as a stretch. It balances lesser luxury and styling with EV benefits and performance. The newer pricing helps make it more competitive against these and eases the amenity sacrifices.

The cheaper 3s compete with the A3/A4/A5 and equivalent BMWs, Mercs, etc. At the lowest end it might win over some who would otherwise consider a new fully loaded Passat or something.

The S and X more directly compete with Porsche’s Panamera and Cayenne.

The problem is that the only reason I got the car when I got it was because I thought it would be saving me $7500 in rebates that a future purchase would not. If they keep lowering the price to match the lost rebate then buying early was not the good deal that it appeared to be. Had I known the rebate loss would be matched by Tesla in the future I would have waited till they ironed out the build quality problems which I still have to struggle with on my car (tons or rattles, squeaks, panel alignment issues, etc.). So yes I do regret buying when I bought. Had I had the knowledge I have now I would have bought my Model 3 in 2020 not 2018.
I sold some stock 4 years ago and bought a Model S. Had I known what I know now, I would could have bought a few Roadsters instead! I bet there are some people who invested in bitcoin who wish they have "had the knowledge they have now" when it peaked.

So, welcome to the club, of people who wish they knew the future. ;)

Looking at this video, the build quality still has not improved. May be faster than the Porsche, and that's great, but no match on build quality.
View attachment 382348

people really have too much time on their hands. That guy is busy bagging super models instead of worrying about panel gaps.

I took my car to the drag strip and it completely make me forget about the recent forum drama. For the money this car is amazing...... we are so lucky to able to drive this machine :)

Reactions: caskater47
None of the Model 3 variants are competing with anything Porsche sells today. The Model 3 Performance competes against the Audi S4/S5 and BMW 340, maybe the RS and M models as a stretch. It balances lesser luxury and styling with EV benefits and performance. The newer pricing helps make it more competitive against these and eases the amenity sacrifices.

The cheaper 3s compete with the A3/A4/A5 and equivalent BMWs, Mercs, etc. At the lowest end it might win over some who would otherwise consider a new fully loaded Passat or something.

The S and X more directly compete with Porsche’s Panamera and Cayenne.

The Model 3 interior and exterior looks like a cookie cutter contemporary luxury high rise apartment. It has sleek unbroken lines and curves, clean flat surfaces and plenty of glass and natural light. It doesn't fit the legacy definition of luxury but times change and the model 3 is the new standard. Form over function.

Edit: Another comparison I think hits the mark:

Alienware (M3/Porsche)
717%2BuJKpqFL._SL1500_.jpg

Macbook Air (Model 3)
MacBook-Air-2018-Release-Date-Features-and-Price.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Roys3
Is anyone still debating whether to take the $5k or keep unlimited free supercharging? It appears some are getting both.

I went for the $5k (plus tax) refund from Telsa and it took 3.5 months for them to update my Telsa account to remove free supercharging for life. I think Telsa will catch up on the backlog and folks won't be able to have both.

Is anyone still debating whether to take the $5k or keep unlimited free supercharging? It appears some are getting both.

We're doing a fair number of long-distance trips and although our total out-of-pocket costs for paying for the juice at superchargers would still at this point be only in the hundreds of dollars, we anticipate keeping the benefit. Especially since supercharger network density is going to increase and it will become increasingly possible to simply do all your charging at a supercharger, and likely a V3 SC coming in our two areas (NH and FL). I know there are folks in the Tesla S forum who are very peeved at that thought - lowly model 3s taking stalls - but that's okay.

Last edited:
We're doing a fair number of long-distance trips and although our total out-of-pocket costs for paying for the juice at superchargers would still at this point be only in the hundreds of dollars, we anticipate keeping the benefit. Especially since supercharger network density is going to increase and it will become increasingly possible to simply do all your charging at a supercharger, and likely a V3 SC coming in our two areas (NH and FL). I know there are folks in the Tesla S forum who are very peeved at that thought - lowly model 3s taking stalls - but that's okay.

Don't worry, you'll get peeved too when you're actually traveling long distance and have to wait in line because the supercharger is clogged up with people wasting everybody's time including their own. That feels great at the end of a 12 hour day of traveling when you just need enough juice to make it home.

Just give it time.

Appreciate the perspectives.
Some who get to keep both managed to order with the referral, but not pay for the car until after the price change. Sweet deal for them.

At 28 cents/kWh, for say 100KW per weekly charge (over-estimating the loss of charge efficiency to charge a 75kW battery) I'd spend $1456/year at the SC, without the perk, assuming exclusive SC-charging. My home rate is 10 cents per kWh, so that's closer to $520 year. So, it'd take me about 3.4 years to reach $5k value at the SC and 9.6 years if charging at home. Hmm.

Any other thoughts?

Don't worry, you'll get peeved too when you're actually traveling long distance and have to wait in line because the supercharger is clogged up with people wasting everybody's time including their own. That feels great at the end of a 12 hour day of traveling when you just need enough juice to make it home.

Just give it time.

I think your guilt induction (if that's what you're really trying to do) is actually misplaced. People who paid for unlimited supercharging and who can't get that benefit in a timely fashion because of long lines should direct their ire at Tesla and not at other people using the superchargers who paid for the same benefit or who are paying for the same electricity now out-of-pocket. And by the way this appears to be a problem mostly in California. In our travels in Florida and New Hampshire and up and down the East Coast we have never had to wait ever (outside of crazy busy holidays when we know not to travel) at any supercharger. Most of the time they're just plain empty or have a few cars at them. Obviously with all the model 3s coming into the pool of folks needing supercharging that's going to change.

But it's on Tesla to provide the infrastructure that obviously has to ramp up with their sales. Perhaps you'll see it differently. Perhaps you believe that Tesla owners should all accommodate the occasional and regionally specific supercharger deficit by curtailing any non trip use? If so that's obviously somewhat special if not fundamentally altered definition of what constitutes Unlimited supercharging.

• Funny
Reactions: P85_DA
I think your guilt induction (if that's what you're really trying to do) is actually misplaced. People who paid for unlimited supercharging and who can't get that benefit in a timely fashion because of long lines should direct their ire at Tesla and not at other people using the superchargers who paid for the same benefit or who are paying for the same electricity now out-of-pocket. And by the way this appears to be a problem mostly in California. In our travels in Florida and New Hampshire and up and down the East Coast we have never had to wait ever (outside of crazy busy holidays when we know not to travel) at any supercharger. Most of the time they're just plain empty or have a few cars at them. Obviously with all the model 3s coming into the pool of folks needing supercharging that's going to change.

But it's on Tesla to provide the infrastructure that obviously has to ramp up with their sales. Perhaps you'll see it differently. Perhaps you believe that Tesla owners should all accommodate the occasional and regionally specific supercharger deficit by curtailing any non trip use? If so that's obviously somewhat special if not fundamentally altered definition of what constitutes Unlimited supercharging.
Yea, I have only needed to surcharge once and there was 4 cars waiting, It was getting late and I wanted to be home before midnight. I left and tried for the next supercharger which closed down for maintenance before I got there. Then I stopped at the last one with hardly any battery left and was finally able to change. First time I have felt range anxiety and my first trip when I needed to charge. Car was telling me to plugin immediately.

I can't believe how many people have nothing better to do than save a couple bucks waiting for their cars to change for an hour. A friend told me later it's the locals in the area at that location using their free supercharging that tend to plug that one up. Not that they don't have a right to do it if they want to.

Yea, I have only needed to surcharge once and there was 4 cars waiting, It was getting late and I wanted to be home before midnight. I left and tried for the next supercharger which closed down for maintenance before I got there. Then I stopped at the last one with hardly any battery left and was finally able to change. First time I have felt range anxiety and my first trip when I needed to charge. Car was telling me to plugin immediately.

I can't believe how many people have nothing better to do than save a couple bucks waiting for their cars to change for an hour. A friend told me later it's the locals in the area at that location using their free supercharging that tend to plug that one up. Not that they don't have a right to do it if they want to.

I can't imagine using a SC past 90% even if on trips and certainly not locally (where home charging is just so easy), as the charging rate just craters. V3 will help with the congestion as it will be ~1000mi/hr when the battery is low. I think the sweet spot for charging on trips is to come in at ~8-10% and leave at 80-85% as that can be done in just over a half hour. Time for coffee, snack and pitstop.

Tesla appears to get it, in terms of prioritizing their build out of more V3 and upgading V2 to 145kW charging. Haven't seen yet any example of the latter anywhere, have you?