Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Upgrade Price Change!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
People who paid the extra $1k or $2k for AWD got screwed too, just a little less. Let's not also forget the extra $500 for the white seats that everyone had to eat in Q3.

Personally I feel like I deserve a refund for my $1k extra for the AWD and $500 extra for the white seats but as my name isn't Fred Lambert and I don't have a big website it seems I'm going to be SOL. Congrats to all the P3D owners though, as long you always buy the same car as Fred Lambert you'll always get refunds whenever you want!

This is limited to a group of people who bought the highest margin car, and those are people who most likely to be repeat buyers. And, this isn't refunding $5k. It's refunding $5k - future cost of Supercharging.

• Disagree
  • Informative
Reactions: P85_DA and bkmartin
-$5k Supercharging refunds
-delivery of P3D+ spoilers
-delivery of Dual Motor badges
-track mode release
-
-SR model 3
-
-
-
-FSD

This. I took delivery of my + in August. I’m a first day reservation holder. I’ve been waiting for this car for a long time. Mine didn’t require any rework. It’s been perfect. So far. I paid what I agreed to pay.

Can I please have my stick on spoiler and my stick on plastic badge please?

Reactions: rcarpen22
I firmly believe many of us would have had the balls to tell Elon hell no.

Fire me if you want. I can buy a Tesla without having to work for them.

Hell, even the webmaster should have said nope - I am not that pushing that change.

I’ve called it many times that you can run over 10,000 AP1 owners but not 300,000 millennial Model 3 owners. Those will destroy you.

Actually you may be right about millennials, the Internet generation. Everytime I look around on street, I see many young owners of Model 3. Many Twitter accounts that follow and ask Elon questions seem mostly age 20~40. Multiply that with hundreds of thousands.

It's the power of millennials!!!

Elon could not ignore them. I was surprised he listened. This did not happen when Model S AP 1.0 people missed out. Elon said delta was too big and did not do refund like this time.

Or maybe it was Fred who catalyzed it. Or both Millennials and Fred. :rolleyes:

I agree that the magnitude of blunder is rather amateurish. Perhaps something quite significant was blinding the decision maker(s). For example, demand for P3D cratering after the Q3 push. In the rush to patch that hole...

Agreed. It's been mentioned before, but 5k was just too much too soon. If this was 1-2k and people actually had the full package they already paid for with the spoiler I think response would have been very different.

I'm happy to take the 5k refund and roll it right back into an [arguably] overpriced winter wheel set from them when available.

Reactions: Jedi2155 and MXWing
I was simply trying to point out the irrationality of the complains. People would be much happier if they were more rational.
Let’s say I’m Spock or a stone-cold AI in a repeated game where I am trying to maximize utility by buying the best vehicles at the best price. I posit that I will get the most utils by standing in line for a Tesla the first day and ordering the highest priced SKU ASAP. Soon after I learn I could have done better at the game by not waiting in line or buying later - essentially Tesla is retraining my AI via reinforcement learning that it made a sub-par decision using these parameters. If the game continues like this, i.e. I keep getting fewer utils after working under these parameters, I’m logically going to try something different at some point. Live and learn. Maybe the learning part isn’t painful for Spock or an AI, but sometimes it is for us humans.

Reactions: PessimiStick
That would be me. Full sucker. They lost a future customer and any free word of mouth advertising from me
1) Looks like now they're giving you your $5K back if you give up the lifetime SC! See above for happy days. :)
2) I'm not convinced that you've been "screwed" on that FSD in any way. The people that bought that may still end up looking wise compared to those of us that gave a pass. But we need another year to evaluate that. No indication Tesla has given up on it.

I think the bottomline is Tesla changed the price too soon.

Apple is very careful about this. They don't provide discount or if they do, they do it when the new product is imminent. They really do good job at not pissing off early buyers and keeping the loyal customers.

If Tim Cook suddenly say tomorrow $300 discount on new iPhone XS, he would be "Cooked" by line waiters and those who pre-ordered. Funny it would be so, even though it is only hundreds of dollars, whereas in Tesla we are talking about $5000, the price of brand new iMac Pro.

I am really curious how this actually unfolds for Tesla and if they follow through with the $5k refunds to P owners. If it actually happens:

-Look for AWD folks to mobilize and demand their refunds too - My config is currently $2500 less
-Stock will take a hit. It will cost Tesla $50M-$100M to implement, that is a very large chunk of profit from Q3
-Elon stepped in it again on Twitter. This is going to be a story

okay, i am supposed to take delivery of my P3D- today at 2 pm. Just spoke to my delivery guy and all he heard is about them waiving the performance package fee for those that ordered the car with that. Nothing about cutting the price of the car i am supposed to take delivery on today. If they cannot do that, there is no way on earth i should take delivery of this car. that is messed up.

Reactions: PessimiStick
Did you get some popcorn to enjoy reading 15 pages? :D
I went with sitting down with a nice glass of wine (2 glasses of water to chase, because alcohol dehydration is real), skipping the show, and getting a good night's sleep. :)

Tesla sure must have something big in mind if they're doing this. That they're willing to go back and refund past sales (anyone remember the original iPhone pricing and the huge drop?) suggest to me their manufacturing costs underneath this worked out WAY lower than they expected. Which is somewhat in line with their higher than expect gross margin (20%) they reported on Model 3 in their Q3 letter.
Specific to Performance, it might mean their "high quality" yields on drive units that can handle Performance demands are coming up higher than planned.

Much turmoil and gnashing of teeth but that looks like a really positive longterm sign, and clearly they are going after marketshare with a vengeance here. Expect they'll be shipping next nothing but Performance units overseas for some time. ;)

• Love
Reactions: Maximilien