Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Upgrade Price Change!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don’t think there is a more informed Tesla buyer than you on TMC. :)

I’ve mainly argued the other side that the best Tesla and the cheapest Tesla is your neighbors Tesla. Life is better when you accept that.

I’m way way less concerned about my personal shalacking than the completely boneheaded and senseless way Tesla want about alienating their customers unnecessarily.

Tesla could have given nothing and made more money per car if they didn’t commit unforced errors. Force bundle PUP. Raise price by 3750. Subtract 3750 Jan 1st - slam dunk.
P- and P+ buyers mostly in meh land with insufficient traction to do anything. Want to learn a 4D chess move? That's a 4D chess move.

The truth of the matter is Tesla did nothing wrong. You got what you paid for at the contracted price. With no cooling off period or price guarantees, you are done. What happens the next second is irrelevant.

Though the deck ended up being stacked against Tesla because they were wrong in the court of public opinion. No matter how right you are, you are still wrong when the customer mobs you in sufficient numbers.

My personal position is angst over HOW and the MAGNITUDE of Tesla’s move not what they actually did. My bitch to Elon is about him being a bonehead and hurting others - not about how he hurt me. The hurt is emotional. Tesla needs to price how they see fit. Perception however is reality. Perception is Tesla fracked the early adopters. Realistically, some price drop control and some price guarantee would have fixed this.

I’m going to have a moral dilemma once the options are announced as official policy.

I know in my heart I have no right to go after Tesla. But in my head, why not free ride the outage and score an extra 5000?

I know damn well 99% of the 3P- buyers were not gonna track the car. But it’s cheap to retweet and complain and free ride off of momentum.

I personally hope for a concession that doesn’t involve taking money from them. Some gain like a software unlock for them being a dick to all of us with the ninja drop and a lesson learned for Tesla would make me feel the best.
OK I believe once that accountants have done the gaap thing, Tesla will conclude that the only approach that doesn’t affect revenue recognition is letting P owners have either supercharging or a 5K credit on future purchases. Either of which they reserve for vs out of pocket. Those who want to can spend it on performance parts, FSD, or their next car, or keep supercharging. Elon’s tweet will be more or less accurate. You won’t have a crisis of conscience. Tesla will sell more cars, crisis averted :)

I ordered my P3D- MSM in September. Hadn’t heard anything, with the price change decided to give them a call tonight. Was told I have been assigned a VIN (though nothing on my Tesla account), they have no way of telling if the referral code I used was linked to the purchase (free lifetime SC), and that any refunds or upgrades to the 3PD- were only applicable to vehicles purchased going forward.

I’m excited for the car but a little put off by the uncertainty more than anything. I expect to be resigned to a bit of disappointment (yeah, a deal is a deal) but there’s a little glimmer of hope of some sort of credit or upgrade. Like finding your long lost uncle left you some money in his will....I don’t expect it but would be glad to have it!

Ps this is my 1st post, I’m glad to be part of the community...

Imagine if Tesla came to you and said “sorry we want an extra $5000” after you and them agreed to a price. You’d be extremely mad and would probably get a lawyer. Well you’re doing to them exactly that. Demanding more than what you both mutually agreed to

I respectfully disagree. When I ordered my P3D- the PUP was described as a purely cosmetic upgrade. Red oaks brakes and 20" wheels, spoiler, etc. At $5k that's not a good value. If want until the cars started to hit the street that people realized there was more to it than aesthetics. I for one was pissed because at no point was it explained to me that I wasn't getting perormance parts on my Performance car I paid a hefty premium for. So no I didn't get what I paid for.

Is also not true that is never track the car. I got plan to track the car along with my 2006 Audi S4 that I've specifically bought because it's a high end sports sedan that just happens to be a great daily driver. I bought the P3D with the same intention. The real failure here is Tesla. They called to properly describe and market PUP in the first place. They failed on delivery to take my dozen phone calls when I realized I didn't get est I paid for and now they've failed to handle a price drop properly.

I still don't want the 20" wheeels but I want the rest of it because there are functional performance parts that should have been in all versions to begin with. I think I have a right to be pissed.

I wrote about the 3P- and 3P+ choice almost two months ago which is an eternity in Tesla land. My main point was if you wanted to be certain to get every Model 3 performance feature you went for the maximum trim. I was right, until the 3P- revolt happened.

Think about the two dichotomies:

3P+ sucks totally not worth 5K. Garbage option

Track mode exclusive to 3P+ only!

Wahhhhh

Tesla sucked though because they didn’t publish a Road map.. they should have said future upgrades exclusive to 3P+.

I’m used to Tesla’s bull *sugar* so wasn’t a surprise to me but I know not to assume everyone else would do the same.

Tesla is poorly trying to reconcile the two options now. Lol

If the feature was absolutely critical, the risk adverse approach would have been to pay for the performance upgrade package.

Those rationalizing in their head that they were just going to put better aftermarket equipment using the 5000 had to be prepared that they were gambling.

They gambled and they lost.

The explanation is very logical.

For reasons of margin, supply/demand, product differentiation, and possible cover your ass, it was possible if not probable, Tesla would require their performance upgrade package.

If Tesla just called it appearance upgrade package, one could have a better argument.

But since it specifically has a BBK it was far riskier to take your chances on not choosing the PUP if track mode was essential.

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA
I wrote about the 3P- and 3P+ choice almost two months ago which is an eternity in Tesla land. My main point was if you wanted to be certain to get every Model 3 performance feature you went for the maximum trim. I was right, until the 3P- revolt happened.

Think about the two dichotomies:

3P+ sucks totally not worth 5K. Garbage option

Track mode exclusive to 3P+ only!

Wahhhhh

Tesla sucked though because they didn’t publish a Road map.. they should have said future upgrades exclusive to 3P+.

I’m used to Tesla’s bull *sugar* so wasn’t a surprise to me but I know not to assume everyone else would do the same.

Tesla is poorly trying to reconcile the two options now. Lol

It's funny that Tesla said P3D+ gets the track mode, and then surge of P3D- people's complaints got heard in Tweeter and here in TMC. No one knew P3D- would get track mode until Elon's recent tweet. I do think it was Tesla's orginal intention to give track mode P3D+ only until enough complaints were heard.

Apparently, complaining Elon and Tesla seemed to have worked in Model 3 segment (Not so much in S/X segment). However, I don't know how long they can keep with complaints and there is certainly limits to patience Elon/Tesla can hold.

Reactions: MXWing
Imagine if Tesla came to you and said “sorry we want an extra $5000” after you and them agreed to a price. You’d be extremely mad and would probably get a lawyer. Well you’re doing to them exactly that. Demanding more than what you both mutually agreed to
Social media OUTRAGE > Contracts/handshakes/gentlemens_agreement/common_sense

This price change is racist!

Reactions: TrumpetTitan
It's funny that Tesla said P3D+ gets the track mode, and then surge of P3D- people's complaints got heard in Tweeter and here in TMC. No one knew P3D- would get track mode until Elon's recent tweet. I do think it was Tesla's orginal intention to give track mode P3D+ only until enough complaints were heard.

Apparently, complaining Elon and Tesla seemed to have worked in Model 3 segment (Not so much in S/X segment). However, I don't know how long they can keep with complaints and there is certainly limits to patience Elon/Tesla can hold.

The 3P- revolt was silenced for the time being because Tesla said they would offer a upgrade path to 3P+.

I thought the path would cost $7500 at the minimum. Main reason being is the 3P- purchasers got an extra set of 18” Aero wheels.

All my thoughts on above was blown to hell because I think Tesla is going to can that retrofit option and say f it - track mode to all and were not offering retrofits anymore.

Tesla’s product manager is either the biggest imbecile in the world or is an NPC that goes with whatever Elon thinks is “cool” at the moment.

Model 3 is clearly owned by mostly millennials. Everyone knows that is the whiniest, most entitled, impatient, demographic around.

No respect for the trailblazers before them with Roadster and Model S without even parking sensors.

Last edited:

This is my first Tesla and until very recently havent felt the need to constantly monitor news feeds because I've never owned such a volatile car before....it's not unreasonable for a person to be rather miffed about this treatment.

The other problem is that I ordered my P3D- well over two months ago when it first got announced. I was a day one pre-order for the Model 3 and I had been waiting for AWD. When they announced the first price drop of the P3D to 64k I was sold. But again coming from Audi, I thought I was buying the Performance and actually getting the full experience. I was wrong, clearly.

But for Tesla to not be at fault here they need to prove that any rational individual would have come to your conclusion. I don't think they can win that argument. A rational person would assume if you're being sold a Performance édition then that is what you get. Performance. Not just a software unlock. Rational people are being forced to adjust to an irrational company and then you call out people as being idiots for not being informed enough. That's incredibly unfair.

Correct. S/X owners appear to be more forgiving and/or get ignored. Look at how Tesla's been selling FSD for 2 years and now many more Model 3s are on the street they stop selling it.

When Tesla started bundling PUP in S/X they did nothing for owners who just bought their cars w/ or w/o PUP.

This is my first Tesla and until very recently havent felt the need to constantly monitor news feeds because I've never owned such a volatile car before....it's not unreasonable for a person to be rather miffed about this treatment.

The other problem is that I ordered my P3D- well over two months ago when it first got announced. I was a day one pre-order for the Model 3 and I had been waiting for AWD. When they announced the first price drop of the P3D to 64k I was sold. But again coming from Audi, I thought I was buying the Performance and actually getting the full experience. I was wrong, clearly.

But for Tesla to not be at fault here they need to prove that any rational individual would have come to your conclusion. I don't think they can win that argument. A rational person would assume if you're being sold a Performance édition then that is what you get. Performance. Not just a software unlock. Rational people are being forced to adjust to an irrational company and then you call out people as being idiots for not being informed enough. That's incredibly unfair.

You needed P+ for big brake kit, and performance tires.

With that said though, Tesla’s product manager is an imbecile.

When asked if product manager could top his moronic actions - he was quoted as saying
“Hold my teslaquila”.

Those new to the brand I admit wouldn’t have @AnxietyRanger level of acumen to not screw the selves.

The actual name 'Nikola Tesla' is the name of a person whose native language was Serbo-Croatian and in his native language, it is pronounced Tezz-la. Elon is pronouncing it correctly. Everyone else who says Tess-la is pronouncing it wrong.

This is false.

Here are two Serbians pronouncing it. (this was linked in a prior thread by a guy from Yugoslavia / now Croatia; he confirmed it was not "Tezzla")
Here is Google Translate in Serbian. (click the speaker icon for an audio pronunciation)
Here is Google Translate in Croatian. (click the speaker icon for an audio pronunciation)

From what I've read Nikola Tesla himself pronounced it "Tesla". If you can find some Serbs / Croatians that pronounce it "Tezzla" I'll reconsider, but I think the whole "Tezzla" thing is just some American bastardization of the word -- and has no basis in European linguistics or even how Nikola himself pronounced it.

And while Elon was a big and early investor, I believe the company got its name before he was involved. So while he may also call it "Tezzla" sometimes, that doesn't mean it's accurate any more than someone calling it "Telsa".

I guess people can call it whatever they want, but the Serb/Croatian pronunciation seems to be decidedly closer to "Tesla" and not "Tezzla".

The actual name 'Nikola Tesla' is the name of a person whose native language was Serbo-Croatian and in his native language, it is pronounced Tezz-la. Elon is pronouncing it correctly. Everyone else who says Tess-la is pronouncing it wrong.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: ConcordeSST
Correct. S/X owners appear to be more forgiving and/or get ignored. Look at how Tesla's been selling FSD for 2 years and now many more Model 3s are on the street they stop selling it.

When Tesla started bundling PUP in S/X they did nothing for owners who just bought their cars w/ or w/o PUP.

Social media OUTRAGE > Contracts/handshakes/gentlemens_agreement/common_sense

This price change is racist!

:D -

12C01843-21AF-4B50-95B5-FDD32C1D78D5.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Funny
You needed P+ for big brake kit, and performance tires.

With that said though, Tesla’s product manager is an imbecile.

When asked if product manager could top his moronic actions - he was quoted as saying
“Hold my teslaquila”.

Those new to the brand I admit wouldn’t have @AnxietyRanger level of acumen to not screw the selves.
pretty sure it was:

"Hold my teslaquila and watch this"

If the sales of Performance 3 were strong, Tesla would have continued to offer $5,000 for PUP. Why lower the price when it is selling like a hot cake?

Here is the theory how it could have originated this price change.

My guess is that the Model 3 Performance sale was not strong recently right after Q3. Tesla want to appeal to new buyers with Free Supercharger but it make them Tesla is not keeping up with its own words: The end of Free superchargers by Q3. Hurry before it is gone folks. Due date is 9/30

So they had to turn to something else: Premium Upgrade Package. Not a smart move.

In addition, I know tons of people are still waiting for advertised "Standard Range $35,000." Or the Middle Range RWD is cannibalizing the 3P sales.

Under pressure, top managers thought by lowering the price of PUP, Tesla can again write the record sales history with more margin from 3P cars.

I love the good intention for the newer buyers and good for the sales goal but they ignored the consequence it could bring: Negative social media buzz. Without advertising, Tesla really depends on words of mouth in person or social media, latter being a bigger effect. I bet this topic will be discussed in their morning conference. We can only hope Tesla doesn't make same mistake again. I wonder how this refund can affect the Tesla stock tomorrow. My guess is that it won't affect much. I hope.

Last edited:
Here is the theory how it could have originated this price change.

My guess is that the Model 3 Performance sale was not strong recently right after Q3. Tesla want to appeal to new buyers with Free Supercharger but it make them Tesla is not keeping up with its own words: The end of Free superchargers. So they had to turn to something else: Premium Upgrade Package.
Or maybe they cut a new deal on 20" wheels that allowed them to give them away. Nobody knows...

I ordered my P3D- MSM in September. Hadn’t heard anything, with the price change decided to give them a call tonight. Was told I have been assigned a VIN (though nothing on my Tesla account), they have no way of telling if the referral code I used was linked to the purchase (free lifetime SC), and that any refunds or upgrades to the 3PD- were only applicable to vehicles purchased going forward.

You might end up being right, but the person you spoke with clearly has no idea what is going on, as it is no longer possible to order a P3D-, so there won't be any upgrades/refunds on "p3D- purchases going forward."