Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Upgrade Price Change!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was on the fence on getting the Model 3 or the Guilia QV, but this move honestly tipped the scales for me. The timing was perfect as I was on the fence and also with the $7,500 credit looming, I felt there was enough value now to pull the trigger. Ordered a red with black interior and EAP. Pretty excited about it, currently driving a Cadillac ATS-V with manual, so going to be a completely different experience for sure. That lease is returned on January 3rd, so the timing of all of this lined up.

Hey if you're the real DB Cooper you should have plenty of money ;)

• Love
Reactions: alloverx and MXWing
Talking to only owners at the bingo club skews data...

I’ve read a few “what is your age” polls before making my statements to ensure I’m not speaking through anecdotes. ;)

You don’t have to be a millennial to own a Model 3 obviously but being half the price of the S opens up a younger demographic.

It would be completely dense to not think the 300 or so respondees have a higher propensity to whine. And those are the folks on Facebook. Discord, slack, Reddit, TWITTER.

In economics we have a term called free rider.

All age groups benefit from their complaining so be thankful for the strawberry generation (they bruise easy)

View attachment 348091
Internet polls are self fulfilling. Only the people who frequent the site respond, whether or not they are a sample. If you had said “the majority of the social media P crisis whiners are millenialls” you might have a case. But no, you said the majority of model 3 owners, and I think you are very wrong. I’ve participated in the “owner assistance” for the 3Q push and saw many buyers and shoppers... and would agree if you said owners skew to “bingo” ex Prius owners. Also reported by Tesla BTW. May be different in Bay Area where there’s more young money.

Internet polls are self fulfilling. Only the people who frequent the site respond, whether or not they are a sample. If you had said “the majority of the social media P crisis whiners are millenialls” you might have a case. But no, you said the majority of model 3 owners, and I think you are very wrong. I’ve participated in the “owner assistance” for the 3Q push and saw many buyers and shoppers... and would agree if you said owners skew to “bingo” ex Prius owners. Also reported by Tesla BTW. May be different in Bay Area where there’s more young money.

I agree. So both right and both wrong, truth tends to be in the middle unless one is pushing an agenda.

I’ll amend my statement to the whiniest and loudest Model 3 demographics are the millennials. Millennials will own the Model 3 more than other Tesla Model.
Millennials frequent social media the most, and have direct access to Elon Musk through those channels.

The whole west coast is young money - not just the Bay Area.

I just know young kids whine the most. That’s my thesis. :)

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: P85_DA
Better than getting the - and now seeing the + BS. It would be nice if they extended both to us that ordered before the deadline as what happens if you ordered after and now the drop, are they going back to add free SC or just auto knocking the $5k

Totally agree. The 5k refund will go right into a new set of 19" forged wheels. I wish there were OEM options smaller than 20" when ordering.

Talking to only owners at the bingo club skews data...

I’ve read a few “what is your age” polls before making my statements to ensure I’m not speaking through anecdotes. ;)

You don’t have to be a millennial to own a Model 3 obviously but being half the price of the S opens up a younger demographic.

It would be completely dense to not think the 300 or so respondees have a higher propensity to whine. And those are the folks on Facebook. Discord, slack, Reddit, TWITTER.

In economics we have a term called free rider.

All age groups benefit from their complaining so be thankful for the strawberry generation (they bruise easy)

View attachment 348091

I'm not sure where you've been, but I've seen a lot of whining well before the Model 3. Like every major update. Or horsepower ratings. Or 1-foot rollouts. Or AutoPilot promises. Or "3 weeks maybe, 6 weeks definitely." Or interior quality compared to BMW/Mercedes. Or delivery delays. Or "horrible" delivery buying experiences. Or SuperCharge build-outs. Or lack of communication from Tesla. Or referral rewards being delayed. Or repair times. Many of these are justified, just as this current situation can "arguably" be justified.

Not to mention, we know this specific situation was brought front and center by non-Millenials. In my experience, some of the more financially successful people act the most entitled.

Reactions: MXWing
I agree. So both right and both wrong, truth tends to be in the middle unless one is pushing an agenda.

I’ll amend my statement to the whiniest and loudest Model 3 demographics are the millennials. Millennials will own the Model 3 more than other Tesla Model.
Millennials frequent social media the most, and have direct access to Elon Musk through those channels.

The whole west coast is young money - not just the Bay Area.

I just know young kids whine the most. That’s my thesis. :)
Peace! Rant on!

• Love
Reactions: MXWing
@MXWing I agree wholeheartedly. Nothing is owed. On the other hand, if the car is adequately profitable at $5k less, what do the refunds actually cost them? Money is money, but it theoretically isn’t hurting. It is more than the cost of a Super Bowl commercial, I suppose.

To be fair, it is possible making a P3D during the ramp-up cost Tesla more than making one today - perhaps not "$5k" more, but there is at least certain logic that would defend charging more from early buyers during a product ramp-up. Often the manufacturer of course absorbs this (first price change doesn't happen so fast) and things average out, but still...

Personally, to reluctantly venture into the minutiae of this, I wouldn't consider refunds the only viable remedy. I think some other benefit given to early adopters could work as well, as @MXWing has pondered.

My personal position is angst over HOW and the MAGNITUDE of Tesla’s move not what they actually did.

Fair post @MXWing. :) Yes, it isn't always what, it is also how and how much. Sometimes there's just "too soon" and "too much". Of course there are many valid opinions in each case when that is, but yes... I guess in this case - like with the V9 split-screen change on Model S/X - the negative reaction was prevalent enough to be statistically significant. Good for Tesla to take note and make moves to correct.

I continue to be of the opinion that Tesla would be smart to temper some of their faster moves with customer reaction expectations. I'm sure they already think about it somewhat, but I'd IMO think some more. :) (I'm thinking stuff like taking free Supercharging out in 2017, using that as a demand lever, and then bringing it almost immediately back afterwards. IMO too much, too soon.)

They don't operate in a vacuum, there is a dynamic ranging from a change on the factory floor to new customer making purchasing decisions at home to the existing customers driving their cars and discussing the brand. Optimizing just one part of this dynamic is IMO not the best approach. This will become especially important as more BEV choices are available on the market IMO.

Reactions: P85_DA
I'm not sure where you've been, but I've seen a lot of whining well before the Model 3. Like every major update. Or horsepower ratings. Or 1-foot rollouts. Or AutoPilot promises. Or "3 weeks maybe, 6 weeks definitely." Or interior quality compared to BMW/Mercedes. Or delivery delays. Or "horrible" delivery buying experiences. Or SuperCharge build-outs. Or lack of communication from Tesla. Or referral rewards being delayed. Or repair times. Many of these are justified, just as this current situation can "arguably" be justified.

Not to mention, we know this specific situation was brought front and center by non-Millenials. In my experience, some of the more financially successful people act the most entitled.

Elon wasn't forced off Twitter and fending off the Persians at Thermopylae on a Friday night from any other event in Tesla' history.

You gave Fred too much credit in my opinion. Elon responds to Fred because its easier for just him than thousands individually.

[email protected], [email protected], customer support, service centers, delivery centers - all of them were going to get smashed regardless. Those folks can't just quit for a few days like Elon can.

Also, a slice of avocado toast, washed down with a soy pumpkin spice latte feels great right about now.

2l8rsv.jpg

Last edited:
Elon wasn't forced off Twitter and fending off the Persians at Thermopylae on a Friday night from any other event in Tesla' history.

You gave Fred too much credit in my opinion. Elon responds to Fred because its easier for just him than thousands individually.

[email protected], [email protected], customer support, service centers, delivery centers - all of them were going to get smashed regardless. Those folks can't just quit for a few days like Elon can.

Elon has never had any Twitter issues before the darn Millenials? ;)

Elon has never had any Twitter issues before the darn Millenials? ;)

None that made him quit Twitter. :D Waging twitter wars against British expats in Thailand and the SEC in his mind is a one sided battle he thinks he can win.

Doesn't mind losing 20 million to impress Grimes but when his congregation turns on him, he folds like a lawn chair.

He can't take the same heat that he dishes out.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: P85_DA and Jedi2155