Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Upgrade Price Change!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This would not have made me happy at all. I do not want, ever, in any time-line or universe, EAP or FSD for my car not even if they gave it to me for free with the base price.

I gave up a stick shift for alleged better performance and fuel economy. Don't ask me to give up my autonomy as well. I'm a driver. I don't want my cars driving me. If I want someone else to drive me I'll take a Lyft.

It was probably one of my first five posts where I said the same thing. A more experienced member corrected me nicely and said thankfully not everyone thought the same way I did. Otherwise, vehicle autonomy would never advance.

Two years later, I stand corrected. I now know where the future is. Maybe your thinking will get there as well.

Also, you CAN have your cake and eat it as well. EAP on when you feel like driving. EAP off when you don't.

I think it will be awhile before EAP can be counted on to replicate this level of reflex:

Model 3 Dashcam Moments - Video or it didn't happen!

Reactions: P85_DA
That isn't true. You are pulling *sugar* out of your ass.

Then what do the release notes say?

track-mode-on-p3d-only-highlighted-png.350995

then you could keep free supercharging. Seriously though, you have never used cruise control? EAP is just fancy cruise control plus convince features like auto park and summon. Also you don't have to enable auto steer but TACC is pretty nice to have.
Yes of course I've used CC before. It's helpful for long road trips but I don't like relying on it. It is dangerous to be too reliant on such features. I'm also an engineer by trade and I have little to no trust in such technology to make the right decisions for me and to handle every edge case possible, let alone the immense number of bugs that surely plague early software. Just look at all the deaths caused by EAP/FSD so far.

No I think ill wait the ten or so years it will take to make the technology truly safe and stable. I feel like a better tester as it is. I don't need to be putting my life on the line for the mere convenience.

Besides, I love to drive. The feel of the tires gripping the road in a tight turn, that feeling you get when accelerating to max speed. Makes me smile.

Last edited:
Reactions: Perry
Oh man HAHA ya got me! It was released yesterday but I am sure the notes were written a month ago. Not a week ago when it was announced. Smartass.

You're right, we should just assume that the release notes are wrong. But tell me, how am i the one pulling *sugar* out of my ass again? Do you have any evidence of someone without the performance package getting track mode?

It was probably one of my first five posts where I said the same thing. A more experienced member corrected me nicely and said thankfully not everyone thought the same way I did. Otherwise, vehicle autonomy would never advance.

Two years later, I stand corrected. I now know where the future is. Maybe your thinking will get there as well.

Also, you CAN have your cake and eat it as well. EAP on when you feel like driving. EAP off when you don't.

I think it will be awhile before EAP can be counted on to replicate this level of reflex:

Model 3 Dashcam Moments - Video or it didn't happen!
It takes at least ten years for any new technology to become stable enough to be ready for mass consumption. This has been true of pretty much everything. FSD is no different and we're only at year 1-3.

I'm sure at some point in the far future I will reconsider my position but for now the fact remains it is a largely unproven technology with a high risk factor. That's not something I'm willing to bet my life on.

• Disagree
Reactions: P85_DA and Perry
Yes of course I've used CC before. It's helpful for long road trips but I don't like relying on it is dangerous to be too thousand on such features. I'm also an engineer by trade and I have little to no trust in such technology to make the right decisions for me and to handle every esge case possible let alone the immense number of bugs that surely plague early software. Just look at all the deaths caused by EAP/FSD so far.

No I think ill wait the ten or so years or will take to make the technology truly safe and stable. I feel like a better testers at it is. I don't need to be putting my life on the line for mere convenience.

Besides, I love to drive. The feel of the tires gripping the road in a tight turn, that feeling you get when accelerating to max speed. Makes me smile.

Autopilot is estimated at 2 billion miles by now.

Can you drive 2 billion miles without dying?

Don't act like you are the ONLY engineer driving Tesla's and see things no one else can.

EAP doesn't make decisions in ALL cases.

I think there is a probably a 50% shot I could hang an orange off the wheel and make the entire I-15 trip to Vegas while being asleep.

Am I going to do that? NO. I don't have hubris going the other way, I am sane, and have a family that needs me.

What I will do however is relax my hands, plant my feet flat, lean back and use less than half the energy, and have less fatigue if I were driving myself the whole way.

It takes at least ten years for any new technology to become stable enough to be ready for mass consumption. This has been true of pretty much everything. FSD is no different and we're only at year 1-3.

I'm sure at some point in the far future I will reconsider my position but for now the fact remains it is a largely unproven technology with a high risk factor. That's not something I'm willing to bet my life on.

I myself am risk adverse when it comes to self driving. I just look at it this way:

MAN + MACHINE > Man or Machine by itself.

I use EAP when I am confident in it. I don't use EAP when I'm not confident in it.

You also seem to think it's IMPOSSIBLE for EAP to save your life as well. I think there will be times where EAP will break for you that you didn't see because you were tired or distracted.

Will you come back here and report when it does?

Last edited:
Reactions: P85_DA
This is probably an unpopular opinion, but PUP/PUO probably didn’t cost Tesla that much. I know a lot of people (myself included) thought it was way overpriced for what it offered. I bet their raw cost was close to $2K. They are probably now offering free supercharging to P3D- owners since they figure supercharging is worth $2K (the price of free supercharging when it was offered on the model s), which is the same as the raw cost of PUP/PUO. Upgrading a P3D- to PUP/PUO would cost way more than $2K after the fact. P3D- owners should definitely be pushing Tesla for track mode (already promised) and for the top speed limit to match the P3D+ at 155 vs 145 mph (assuming it is software limited and not just the tires that allow it to hit that).

I haven't heard anyone talk about P3D- owners having confirmed free supercharging. I think most P3D- owners would accept an aftermarket upgrade to P3D+ (Break, Rotors, Wheels, Tires, Suspension,Top Speed, spoiler).

This is crazy and very disappointing for those of that paid $5K. Our cars instantly depreciated another $5K. Then there are the folks that didn’t get the performance upgrade on their initially order that got screwed as well.
On a side note, this giant 66 page thread is a testament to how badly Tesla has communicated information to customers. So many things are unclear, from who is eligible for a refund, to who gets track mode, etc.
Agree completely! This is a big corporate screw-up that needs immediate attention and communication.

Agree completely! This is a big corporate screw-up that needs immediate attention and communication.

Start complaining to The Better Business Bureau. They are usually good about getting actual results.

LOL - while this move certainly rubbed people the wrong way, its quite a stretch to say it's on BBB levels. And i'm saying this as someone with a P3D+ who has ample reason to be upset.