Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Upgrade Price Change!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I personally don't feel any sort of righteous indignation. I just saw the tweets and thought... great, if I maybe can get a refund out of it then why not try? My IDA never replied to the email I sent her. I submitted a question through the website portal, and linked and quoted Elon's tweets, stating that I purchased a Performance Model 3 and would prefer the option of a $5,000 refund while giving up my FUSC for it as Elon stated. If it doesn't happen, I don't feel like I've lost anything.

While they did say they "submitted my refund", they also did not include the "Mail the check in 4-6 weeks" blah blah like some other people saw, so take that with a grain of salt too. I don't expect anything to come of it, so it is impossible for me to be disappointed at the outcome!
OK, you do not. But many of us do!

When I ordered my P3D- I was told it would get track mode. Elon tweeted all Performance will get track mode. So either this wasn't true, or they don't consider my car a Performance model. My ask is simple, provide me with track mode and whatever hardware is required to do do.
Oh, I like that idea! If they find a way to make the P3D- as track-competitive as the PUP'd version - all problems are solved.

Everyone paid the same; everyone got the same - performance-wise! I think it solves everything.
I think the software guys and race drivers would love the challenge...

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: P85_DA
It seems like there will be zero communication on the subject until a software release that may never happen. The lack of communication is really frustrating. I really can't imagine them having the logistic capabilities to deliver an after purchase performance package though.
Yeah, the lack of communication is horrendous - BUT this really is the best way for them to shut the P3D- folks (like me) up.

I'm pretty certain they can "software optimize" our cars (maybe with removed aerocaps which might fly off) to kick butt on the the track.
I'd like to see them try. If they can't, well then they owe us some hardware...

Lap times, baby! Put the P's on the same level. I don't care a whit about red calipers, spoilers, alu-pedals and such...

Last edited:
I submitted a question through the website portal, and linked and quoted Elon's tweets, stating that I purchased a Performance Model 3 and would prefer the option of a $5,000 refund while giving up my FUSC for it as Elon stated. If it doesn't happen, I don't feel like I've lost anything.

Maybe not now, but you could lose out on resale when most will want track enabled or PUP or ask you to drop your price due to the aforementioned.

Reactions: Perry
Did they say The check is in the mail or that you will receive a check within 4 weeks?
Also, what method(s) did you use to reach them about this?

They said I will receive the check in the mail within 4 weeks sent out to my address on file (and then listed the file).

I reached out using the website, ask a question, escalate to executive review.

Reactions: Powered By Jay
Maybe not now, but you could lose out on resale when most will want track enabled or PUP or ask you to drop your price due to the aforementioned.

It is true that it could affect resale, but I don't plan on selling the car for a long time. And if I did, I think you may be overestimating the knowledge of your average used Tesla buyer. First, places like KBB or Carmax won't even have PUP or Track Mode as options to value the car, they will just have "Performance" as a model. They will ask if it has premium wheels or Autopilot. I can't tell you how many friends asked me if I'd sell my old Model S and didn't know a single thing about Teslas. I'm not saying there aren't buyers who don't know better, because of course there are. I just think that right now everyone is in an emotional overreaction mode. Tesla does price changes all of the time. This time it just happened much more quickly. That alone would have pissed off more people than usual, but when Elon opened his mouth, that added fuel to the fire and gave people an opening to fight back. The problem I see is that everyone is spending all of their energy arguing with each other here which doesn't accomplish anything. We're all pissed off, but if you want to do something about it, keep bugging Tesla! :)

• Informative
Reactions: P85_DA and Perry
Has anyone considered trading in their P3D- for a new P3D+?
Lemme see. That person would have to have: a) decided that PUP was not worth 5k, then b) decided that it would be worth taking sales tax + delivery fee + depreciation loss (maybe minus tax credit) to get those features?

That person is going to lose money to get something they didn’t want in the first place!

So, you can’t do it to retrieve 5k. So why? To get track mode now, which you may very well get in a month or anyway?

Lemme see. That person would have to have: a) decided that PUP was not worth 5k, then b) decided that it would be worth taking sales tax + delivery fee + depreciation loss (maybe minus tax credit) to get those features?

That person is going to lose money to get something they didn’t want in the first place!

So, you can’t do it to retrieve 5k. So why? To get track mode now, which you may very well get in a month or anyway?

Agreed. Can't imagine how they legitimately would price a trade-in, given the comparable car doesn't exist any more (and did for so short a time), but I imagine it would value at very close to an AWD, which is kind of the point of why I feel wronged. My P3D has no analog to hold value and will clearly skew toward the lowest comparable rather than upward to one with more tangible hardware.

I already have FUSC, EAP, and pre-bought FSD, so I really have very little in the way of recompense that could be made unless they wanted to upgrade me to the PUP features or buy back my car at cost so I can buy a new P3D (the latter of which I don't see).

But talking a 10K+ hit on a quick trade in to rebuy is in no way something I would find palatable.

Reactions: Roys3
For anyone wondering, i just confirmed that Tesla is only refunding 5000 and no tax on that amount.

"In regards to the Performance Upgrade Package $5,000 refund, I am happy to submit the request upon your confirmation. Please note we are only refunding $5,000 as we are not adjusting any official documents regarding your purchase and applying for tax refunds for each vehicle. "

For anyone wondering, i just confirmed that Tesla is only refunding 5000 and no tax on that amount.

"In regards to the Performance Upgrade Package $5,000 refund, I am happy to submit the request upon your confirmation. Please note we are only refunding $5,000 as we are not adjusting any official documents regarding your purchase and applying for tax refunds for each vehicle. "
Man I'd be so happy with 5k back, sure the tax things sucks but it's way better than what us P3D- people are stuck with. I mean the tax does not even cover the white interior loss I had to soak up as well.

They are not even going to send us inferior P3D- people spoilers or enable track mode. I'll never forget this tesla!

Man I'd be so happy with 5k back, sure the tax things sucks but it's way better than what us P3D- people are stuck with. I mean the tax does not even cover the white interior loss I had to soak up as well.

They are not even going to send us inferior P3D- people spoilers or enable track mode. I'll never forget this tesla!

The whole situation has been handled very poorly by Tesla... pissing off a bunch of customers and reaching into their slim profits to offer cash back to others... i haven't confirmed the refund with them since i'm still hoping they'll offer a free software speed upgrade to early P buyers or something... here's to dreaming.

We are still supposed to get track mode, right?
Who knows, Elon also said they would refund P3's not P3D+ only, and look what happened. Gratned refund might imply different meaning than giving cash back. But then refund would also technically include tax!

Although when people asked to clarify about track mode he did say ALL Performance models. I think Elon decided our cars are AWD+ so I'm not holding my breath for it.