Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Upgrade Price Change!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, on Sunday I got: "We have created case in regards to getting you the $5,000 refund. We ask you to please be patient while we work on this process of getting you this refund. We appreciate your patience and working with us on this."

Who sent you that email?

I still have not received an acknowledgement from anyone I've interacted with, including:

- my delivery advisor
- calling Tesla
- contacting Tesla through my account
- emailing Tesla support

Do we have official word yet from Tesla that the refund will happen?

Last edited:
Reactions: Nocturnal
I'm posting in this thread because it delivers. It doesn't deliver anything useful, but does deliver entertainment.

That, and it's 99 pages on my computer and I want to push it over the 100 page threshold. I suggest an expanded debate:

Should track mode be used in a school zone on the day after Thanksgiving during a full moon while the owner is on the phone with Tesla requesting a PUP exchange of FUSC for $5k while recording the event on his phone? I bet @MXWing says no and @Perry says yes but only if the school zone is on a windy mountain road that he if familiar with, @Knightshade and @Nocturnal argue semantics, @Glamisduner updates us on his ordeal, and @P85_DA chimes in with emojis.

We can break 100 pages tonight. I can feel it! Happy Thanksgiving!

Got my refund email today after calling and asking last week (and waiting on hold for an hour). Now I’m having 2nd thoughts.

Does anyone know if free supercharging can be “transferred” to another car if yours is totaled? If no then it’s easy I’ll take the cash. My biggest fear is I don’t take the cash, then something happens to the car and it needs replacement, then no free supercharging on the replacement.

I'm posting in this thread because it delivers. It doesn't deliver anything useful, but does deliver entertainment.

That, and it's 99 pages on my computer and I want to push it over the 100 page threshold. I suggest an expanded debate:

Should track mode be used in a school zone on the day after Thanksgiving during a full moon while the owner is on the phone with Tesla requesting a PUP exchange of FUSC for $5k while recording the event on his phone? I bet @MXWing says no and @Perry says yes but only if the school zone is on a windy mountain road that he if familiar with, @Knightshade and @Nocturnal argue semantics, @Glamisduner updates us on his ordeal, and @P85_DA chimes in with emojis.

I'm offended by that - I think ALL my stuff is VERY useful! :p

In fact, I think this thread should be mandatory reading for all prospective Tesla employees - so they learn what NOT to do.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: P85_DA and MP3Mike
I received a similar email stating.

Thank you for reaching out to Tesla Customer Support. We would be more than happy to send this request to our team who is overseeing this project. Our team will reach out as soon as possible to speak with you on this refund request.

Best,

Tristan | Service Support

:eek::oops:

Only if the school zone is on a windy mountain and its raining like it did today here in San Jose :D.

Joking aside, just got back from some 1:00AM mountain runs experimenting with how the car drifts in the rain. Started easy to get the feel of it and then little by little kept increasing the lateral Gs to break the rear loose. Although it was thought that the traction control especially on a dual motor would not allow drifting, I found that indeed you can get some nice controlled drifting in the rain even without Track Mode. All you have to do is give it the appropriate amount of punch at the right speed as you exit the turn and the tail drifts quite controllably. I am astonished how sure footed the Model 3 is in the rain compared to other sports cars I've driven. The car provides the driver with a lot of deserved confidence.

Track Mode will be a joy for our daily commutes when it comes to us P- (trolling a little on this :D, ...just a little).

Before you guys jump at me just know that I did not do this with any cars behind me or on-coming or near any possibility of people or driveways or side streets around (nothing but rocky cliff on both sides; one up and one down). Made sure I had at least 400 yards of clear visibility in front of me on every drift attempt with zero possibility of a collision into anyone in other direction. No blind turn drifting or stupid stuff I see people do.

Last edited:
Reactions: Roys3 and P85_DA
Happy Thanksgiving All!
I woke up to an email from Tesla. Thought it would be a reply to my inquiry about the rebate, but it was an automated email checking in on my experience with the EAP trial and noting I can buy it for $5,500. I’d happily throw that rebate right back at them through EAP. Just confirm I’m getting the rebate Tesla!

Reactions: P85_DA
I’ve recently received another email from the customer service team:

“Good afternoon,
Thanks for your email, I’m sorry for the delayed response. I have forwarded your case to what we lovingly call the “TWEET Team” for processing and follow up. Over the next several weeks you may also receive emails to [email protected] from Field Teams regarding this refund.”

I’m not optimistic my P3D- will get anything. Honestly, I don’t think anyone is “entitled” to a refund. But, having one group get it and another not is what irks me the most.

At any rate, if there truly are suspension geometry changes (other than shorter springs), I’ll be a little more upset.

At any other rate, this car is still ****ing amazing.

Reactions: Big City and P85_DA
Here's what Elon should have said: "Because of the abrupt pricing and feature changes, all "legacy" performance owners will get 1 of the following - their choice: EAP, FUSC, PUP, FSD - or a $5K credit toward future purchases."

I think many (like me) made the trade-off between EAP and PUP. (I'd chose FSD or credit.)

Come on TWEET team! Run with this "new and improved" version. It's the intent that counts: customer satisfaction! (and this saves TESLA money too.)

My contribution to bloating this thread out..

You'll note it is Performance or Performance + only

noPminus.png

from our friends at abstract ocean (Tesla Model Letters) of which I have no affiliation but many folks here seem to like their stuff

Happy Holidays and all that

@Perry how many experienced Tesla owners have to explain that you are nucking futz before you will accept it.

If I were Tesla and I read what you wrote, granting track mode to 3P- would be the last thing I would do.

No reward, all risk.

Because of MMGW and 9/11 I decided to stop using FF as much as I could and I slowly started giving up all of my toys. If it were not for those two things I would have a Ferrari 355 or a E60 M5 right now instead of the P3-. I sold my M3, and Harley and traded them in for solar panels and Chevy Volts. I could not justify the price of a Roadster 1, P85 or a P100D when they came out but used prices were getting very close. Track Mode in the P3 pushed me over and I sold a Volt to get (by several times) the most expensive car I have ever bought. Finally, the Holy Grail everything car. The quickest (almost), the most efficient, 5 passenger in comfort, 300mi + supercharging, self driving when you want it Track Mode when you don’t car. Track Mode made this car and the limit on it should be the driver. No other car geofences it’s performance features. When C&C videos are overrun by PM3s jumping curbs and hitting trees we can talk, but as loaded guns go, the PM3 is still the safest by far. I doubt I could ride with Perry very far but I think he is safer in a P3 than whatever his second choice car is. Not granting TM to P3-, get off it.

Reactions: Roys3 and Msjulie
I’ve recently received another email from the customer service team:

“Good afternoon,
Thanks for your email, I’m sorry for the delayed response. I have forwarded your case to what we lovingly call the “TWEET Team” for processing and follow up. Over the next several weeks you may also receive emails to [email protected] from Field Teams regarding this refund.”

I’m not optimistic my P3D- will get anything. Honestly, I don’t think anyone is “entitled” to a refund. But, having one group get it and another not is what irks me the most.

At any rate, if there truly are suspension geometry changes (other than shorter springs), I’ll be a little more upset.

At any other rate, this car is still ****ing amazing.

I got that message initially (or something like it) and then the follow up message yesterday was sort of the "FUSC You" message except it was very formal and professional. Needless to say, they stated in the response that refunds are for PUP owners only and to please enjoy my free lifetime supercharging. Of course I responded with displeasure to that, but at the same time... I expected that response and still am enjoying my car! Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Because of MMGW and 9/11 I decided to stop using FF as much as I could and I slowly started giving up all of my toys. If it were not for those two things I would have a Ferrari 355 or a E60 M5 right now instead of the P3-. I sold my M3, and Harley and traded them in for solar panels and Chevy Volts. I could not justify the price of a Roadster 1, P85 or a P100D when they came out but used prices were getting very close. Track Mode in the P3 pushed me over and I sold a Volt to get (by several times) the most expensive car I have ever bought. Finally, the Holy Grail everything car. The quickest (almost), the most efficient, 5 passenger in comfort, 300mi + supercharging, self driving when you want it Track Mode when you don’t car. Track Mode made this car and the limit on it should be the driver. No other car geofences it’s performance features. When C&C videos are overrun by PM3s jumping curbs and hitting trees we can talk, but as loaded guns go, the PM3 is still the safest by far. I doubt I could ride with Perry very far but I think he is safer in a P3 than whatever his second choice car is. Not granting TM to P3-, get off it.

Errr if you read all 99 pages you will see that *I* have no problem with track mode for P- or even for AWD. Why not share the love?

Offering reasons why Tesla wouldn’t do it is separate from my own opinions of wanting to see Tesla taking care of all owners.

Likely reason is the firmware is not tuned for anything except for 3P+. They gain nothing throwing it out there for any dick, jane, harry and @Perry to treat Laguna Niguel like Laguna Seca running on wheels, tires, suspensions and brakes that go on a 3MR.

There's one thing I remember now which wasn't mentioned much if at all in this epic thread.

3P+ has a top speed of 155 MPH.
3P- has a top speed of 145 MPH.

No matter what you did with the 3P-, it was always going to have 145 MPH top end limit.
What if you never hit 155? What's the point of 3P+?

The point is that a difference like that should tell you that Tesla has separate firmware for the + versus -.

That is actually the leading indicator that one needed to pay the 5000 "tax" and "hidden taxes" of 20 inch winter/all-season tires post purchase. The risk is zero of 3P+ missing out on anything applicable to 2018 Model 3s. The risk is greater than zero that 3P- will miss out on something.

I note "2018" because who knows - a 2019 3P might have things a 2018 can not or will not have. Welcome to Tesla ownership.

Tesla did not communicate their road map clearly but they were not legally obligated to.

They are not legally obligated to retrofit 3P-, and they are not legally obligated to offer rebates or credits post purchase.

Will Tesla provide goodwill relief? I hope so. Though if they do, it's not going to happen until 2019 at the earliest.

Reactions: MP3Mike and P85_DA