Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Upgrade Price Change!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Add me to the group of early adopters that's been screwed. I'm all for a focused group effort

Agreed, I think we should collect some data, like a list of users here and/or vote, maybe send over to Teslanomics who can reach a wider audience.

I was considering writing to Tesla after collecting a vote to include: VOTE should performance 3 non-performance upgrade package get a refund
A. $5K refund
B. Free PUP hardware
C. Tesla credit
D. Early adopters deserve nothing

Not quite. I did zero maintenance on my 1999 Lexus GS400 except oil change, tires, and brake pads. Never even changed the spark plugs in the 19 years I have owned it and never had a problem with it. Still drives like new today. There is something to be said about well made cars. The model 3 is not one of them. I've already had 4 SC visits for various things breaking down in just the first 2000 miles. This car will be a service expense monster because it is so new, so little testing was done, and the build quality is on the cheep side.

How many miles did you put on the GS400? Thats a key factor in the issues that can come up. It sounds like you drove it carefully, and kept regular maintenance. Are you still running the original battery in that time? That would be hard to believe if you were.
Everything else is you mentioned is reasonable for a well engineered and designed car (its a Toyota after all). You can't say the same about a recent Nissan though....(post Renault merger). Here's a good spiel on the topic of a unreliable "gas car" company:

I'm at 4,004 miles, and while I've had a fair number of issues (cracked windshield, bent rim/popped tires etc.), being poorly built was not one of them. I do not expect many IF ANY issues related to the actual drive-ability of car the car because the beauty of them is the sheer simplicity mechanically speaking. There would have to be a serious design defect if these cars start going bad left and right. Outside of the occasional infant death (which all manufacturers have), I don't imagine them to be terribly unreliable.

I try to be a realist/pragmatists in my choices and I still 100% believe I made the right choice in buying Tesla and still can firmly recommend to others to buy a Tesla as long as you can deal with the currently terrible wait times on their customer service.

As for now, if you want a reliable long range EV with a good manufacturer behind it, get a Chevrolet Bolt. I've their EVs for the past 6 years and had narly an issue. Plus they have an extensive dealer/service network who will take care of you. You won't however, constantly have the latest and greatest EV technology available to man today.

As for now, if you want a reliable long range EV with a good manufacturer behind it, get a Chevrolet Bolt. I've their EVs for the past 6 years and had narly an issue. Plus they have an extensive dealer/service network who will take care of you. You won't however, constantly have the latest and greatest EV technology available to man today.

My sample size of one with the Bolt had multiple services in 10 months of ownership ranging from a door handle to major battery issues.

Agreed, I think we should collect some data, like a list of users here and/or vote, maybe send over to Teslanomics who can reach a wider audience.

I was considering writing to Tesla after collecting a vote to include: VOTE should performance 3 non-performance upgrade package get a refund
A. $5K refund
B. Free PUP hardware
C. Tesla credit

All I want is Track Mode that adjusts for whatever hardware is on the car and fusc to show up in my account.

That is what I was assured I was buying. If they can’t do TM for P3D- then I think A,B,C should be on the table as goodwill.

Reactions: Blur1895 and Roys3
Anyone ever consider the precedence that would be set if Tesla refunds or upgrades one class of owners but not the rest?

3P+ have to give up something so it’s not a free refund.
Do you not see how hypocritical that statement is? Plz think b4 you reply! The precedent has been set with refund for PUP. You are trying to split hairs. A refund is a refund.

Just got the following email:

Hello,
Thank you for reaching out to Tesla Support about the Model 3 Performance Upgrade Package and the recent price change.

If you would like to proceed with the $5,000 refund and the removal of your Free, Unlimited Supercharging please reply with a valid mailing address we can send the check to.

Sincerely,
Tesla Support | 24/7 Customer Support

How many miles did you put on the GS400?
It sounds like you drove it carefully, and kept regular maintenance.
Ha.. I guess you don't know my reputation on this board. I drive no car carefully. I have put the GS400 through the most extreme pain you could possibly imagine. It held up because it is a beast of design for longevity. I tried my best to break it but it wouldn't.
Are you still running the original battery in that time? That would be hard to believe if you were.
No of course I replaced that every 4 years like every other car. Frankly I don't even consider that a part of the car.
Everything else is you mentioned is reasonable for a well engineered and designed car (its a Toyota after all). You can't say the same about a recent Nissan though....(post Renault merger).
I agree, you probably can't say the same thing about many other cars.
I'm at 4,004 miles, and while I've had a fair number of issues (cracked windshield, bent rim/popped tires etc.), being poorly built was not one of them. I do not expect many IF ANY issues related to the actual drive-ability of car the car because the beauty of them is the sheer simplicity mechanically speaking.
I hope you are right but when I look at all the systems above the skate which is a design wonder, I don't see anything particularly well designed for longevity.

See:

Most of the interior is flimsy and full of rattles that 4 SC visits could not fix. The Lexus has no rattles after 19 years. My signaling stock already broke. Panel gaps are wildly uneven. Trunk closes like a 10k Hyundai. The fruck is so unpleasant to close, I don't even use. The seats have no support and have already sagged to where I feel the metal bar underneath. My lumbar balder is already broken and won't hold pressure. The undercarriage front motor cover got detached and fell off. My rear light fixtures are leaking and have water condensation in them. Bluetooth streaming keeps crashing with crackling. Not to mention the uncountable number of software bugs that instead of being fixed, coding time is wasted on pointless Easter eggs. This in the first 2000 miles.
There would have to be a serious design defect if these cars start going bad left and right. Outside of the occasional infant death (which all manufacturers have), I don't imagine them to be terribly unreliable.
You have lack of imagination.
I try to be a realist/pragmatists in my choices and I still 100% believe I made the right choice in buying Tesla and still can firmly recommend to others to buy a Tesla as long as you can deal with the currently terrible wait times on their customer service.
The car drives like no other and that's what sold me on it but had I known how the stuff above the skate is built I probably would have opted for a different car.

Last edited:
What's the story here?
I don't want to derail the thread, so here's a quick synopsis. My Bolt had the driver's side door handle replaced twice in 10 months. I also had a failed A/V system update they had to fix by appt. There were a small set of Bolt batteries that would fail due to a bad cell or something like that. I had two pending service updates that needed to be applied to help detect that. Prior to getting that done I was stranded with 20% left in battery. They replaced it and I traded the car to Tesla soon after when I got my perf model 3. I do think the Bolt is a good, reliable car, save for a very small percentage of battery problems.

As for Tesla's handling of this price change. It looks it now comes down to just the P3D Stealth owners not getting a satisfying response. I feel for those with the Stealth looking for some form of remedy, but also am amazed the P3D+ buyers before the drop are getting anything.

A. $5K refund
B. Free PUP hardware
C. Tesla credit
Not sure if this forum has voting mechanisms - but this one does: Performance owners poll: Free Lifetime Supercharging? $5000 discount?
My guess is D. would win because lots of P owners are "gifted" at this point. Those that are not - will be kicked! (You know, the old haves and have-nots syndrome).

Anyone ever consider the precedence that would be set if Tesla refunds or upgrades one class of owners but not the rest?

3P+ have to give up something so it’s not a free refund.
This is easy - Old PUP'sters get $5K cash back (because they paid cash). P-stealthers get $5K credit toward Tesla stuff.
The "stuff" apparently won't include PUP-stuff (which everyone else got), but can include equivalencies.

The old PUP'sters will cost Tesla the most money - but I "grant" them that...;)

Reactions: Perry and fyresoul
All I want is Track Mode that adjusts for whatever hardware is on the car and fusc to show up in my account.

That is what I was assured I was buying. If they can’t do TM for P3D- then I think A,B,C should be on the table as goodwill.
Seems quite reasonable... There could be more options - ones that cost Tesla less - on the list.
Silence, arbitrariness, and stubbornness are not options, Tesla.

This is easy - Old PUP'sters get $5K cash back (because they paid cash). P-stealthers get $5K credit toward Tesla stuff.
The "stuff" apparently won't include PUP-stuff (which everyone else got), but can include equivalencies.

The old PUP'sters will cost Tesla the most money - but I "grant" them that...;)
This entire situation just makes me wish I had been either more or less impatient with my purchase.
Originally I'd configured the AWD LR version, then Tesla came out with that beautiful white interior.. and being in Texas with our 100+ days of 100s I wanted it, and at the time it was only available for Performance 3s.
After a month or so the premium white was released for the AWD models as well, but I was still okay, because ALL M3P owners had gotten FUSC (not worth it to me, but it helped the sting some)

So if you really want to talk about feeling like you got the short end of the stick, I essentially paid 10k to be able to pay 1.2k for a white interior a month early, for a slightly better car (10 mph higher top speed and ~1 second faster 0-60) o_O

So if you really want to talk about feeling like you got the short end of the stick, I essentially paid 10k to be able to pay 1.2k for a white interior a month early, for a slightly better car (10 mph higher top speed and ~1 second faster 0-60) o_O

Yup. I was impatient too, reflected in my swapping a perfectly fine LR for the Stealth Performance AND if it were possible to get even a few tenths more 'as compensation' for the whole price drop nonsense, I would do it because reasons...