TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Performance versus standard seats in P85

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by montgom626, Aug 5, 2013.

1. montgom626

montgom626 Active Member

Is there a post on the difference? I played with the configurator for a "plain" P85, I can choose between performance seats versus standard seats. What is the difference between standard and performance seats in a P85.

Standard seats.PNG

performance.PNG

2. VRK

VRK Member

Well the performance seats have piping on the sides and also have some sort of cloth (alcantra ?) under the headrest and on the side.

3. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

The Alacantra side bolsters are the main difference, but yes thy have the piping as well.

4. TommyBoy

TommyBoy Member

They have more leather but have the same shape and contours. You should always choose "CASH" on the right side and you'll see the cost for them as well although you probably know that.

5. onesixeight

onesixeight Member

I took delivery of a P85+ with red contrast piping right before the new options, do I have performance seating?

If there is one thing I wish for, its better hip hugging seats in the Model S.

6. jkirkebo

jkirkebo Model S P85+ VIN 14420 EU

Umm, no. They have less leather. Alcantara is not leather.

7. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Yes. You have the performance seating then. I believe there is no change between the performance seating now and what was in the older P85 and P85+ cars.

8. gnelson

gnelson Member

Alcantara is 68% Polyester and 32% polyurethane

9. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Active Member

I would expect Alcantara to have better grip than the smoother leather and also why it's being offered as a performance upgrade.

10. William13

William13 Member

The "grip" difference is minor. It still needs bigger side bolsters. I don't race so no big deal.

11. onesixeight

onesixeight Member

I have the Alcantara trim on my P85+ and it doesn't do anything in terms of additional grip. It's purely cosmetic.

Even for regular driving the MS seats could use more side bolstering, especially in the thigh area

12. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

depends on your butt size I guess. i would imagine that some people would prefer bigger bolsters, while other's smaller. ;)

13. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

Be careful when using the design studio, as the price shown INCLUDES THE $7500 FEDERAL TAX CREDIT. It is small print and is easy to miss unless you are paying attention. You can't compare this against the MVPA from an ordered vehicle which does not include this.

14. AC1K

AC1K Member

this car doesn't corner hard enough to make use of additional grip offered by the "performance" seat upgrade, i find it sad that they are charging $1200 for alcantara / ultra suede, the synthetic material is actually CHEAPER than Napa leather.

15. simplesolar

simplesolar Member

that means you aren't driving your car hard enough. I feel sometimes I can't corner any faster because I will slide out to the passenger side :)

16. earlyretirement

earlyretirement Model X 90D

I reconfigured my car order this morning. This was actually one of the biggest positives to me being able to get rid of that red piping. It's funny when I ordered the car I asked if I could avoid that and they said no. This was only a few weeks ago. I think I would have paid $1,000 to have avoided that red piping so it was nice to find out that I'd save money not getting it.

I know some people like that red piping on the interior black leather but I thought it was distracting and didn't like it.

17. montgom626

montgom626 Active Member

I love it! I have it!

18. earlyretirement

earlyretirement Model X 90D

Absolutely no disrespect for those that have it. I just meant me personally I didn't like it.

19. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Technically, it excludes the $7,500. ;)

Or less confusingly: "The price shown reflects an assumed subtraction of the federal tax credit."

- - - Updated - - -

I wouldn't say that, but I would agree with your general point: hard cornering definitely can slide you out of proper driving position in the S.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm envious of your forum handle, if it reflects your (un)employment status.

20. goneskiian

goneskiian Active Member

I too was confused (and excited) by this option when I first saw it. Then sadly disapointed when I found out what it really meant. I love the performance seats in my wife's BMW and felt the S definitely needed some after the test drive. I'm not the size of an average 'merican though. Of course I'm not ready to buy yet either and am holding out hope this is a future option.