Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance vs AWD 0-60 Side-By-Side Video

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As interesting is comparing the AWD time to, say, Motor Trend's regular LR AWD times. The 0-30 looks to be only 0.1 seconds quicker than their RWD number. The gain over RWD all appears to come after 30 mph which seems to imply it could still feel a bit soft off the line...unfortunate. Appreciate the video!

Do we know how the P and non-P compare for 0-30?

Edit: Looks like 1.73 for P and 2.10 for AWD

I got 1.64 for P

Should be half a sec faster if it's going to be a whole sec difference to 60

Screenshot_20180805-231733_dragy.jpg

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: P85_DA
I don't really trust using numbers from someone's cell phone app or the in car digital display.

I can't wait for an actual drag race.

My deciding factor really comes down to the trying to decide between a solid go-cart like car, or a great go-cart like car.

I do tend to like go-cart type cars (like a Porsche Cayman) where I sacrifice comfort for handling. The P version is a $15K question because I don't think I'll get it without the performance package (or spending that money on after market stuff).

I don't really trust using numbers from someone's cell phone app or the in car digital display.

I can't wait for an actual drag race.

My deciding factor really comes down to the trying to decide between a solid go-cart like car, or a great go-cart like car.

I do tend to like go-cart type cars (like a Porsche Cayman) where I sacrifice comfort for handling. The P version is a $15K question because I don't think I'll get it without the performance package (or spending that money on after market stuff).

You have to realize the dragy is not just an app. it's a tested, tried, and proven gps data logger on par with actual drag results. As for any reservations whether or not they're doctored numbers, only valid results are uploaded directly from the device. The Porsche Cayman is hardly a go cart car, let alone saying that it sacrifices comfort. Lotus Exige or the Ariel atom comes to my mind when sacrificing comfort for handling. The performance package upgrade will not net you any discernable difference unless it includes "track" mode which is still in development anyways....

Just my 2c...

You have to realize the dragy is not just an app. it's a tested, tried, and proven gps data logger on par with actual drag results. As for any reservations whether or not they're doctored numbers, only valid results are uploaded directly from the device. The Porsche Cayman is hardly a go cart car, let alone saying that it sacrifices comfort. Lotus Exige or the Ariel atom comes to my mind when sacrificing comfort for handling. The performance package upgrade will not net you any discernable difference unless it includes "track" mode which is still in development anyways....

Just my 2c...

I wasn't referring to the numbers you posted. The numbers you posted are right in line with the specs, and with road and track claimed.

The handling of the Porsche Cayman is highly regarded. Sure there are other cars that sacrifice it more, and both the cars you listed are ones that I've wanted. I couldn't get the Lotus because I don't fit, and I couldn't get the Ariel Atom because of questions about licensing it in WA state.

So basically the Porsche Cayman was as go-cart as I could get, and I also vastly prefer Mid-Engine. Hence why I like EV's that have the battery underneath as they mimic the same weight balance.

Oh, and I certainly did sacrifice comfort with the Cayman. The rattles alone made me want to drive it off a cliff.

As to track mode I'm not sure how it can change anything about comfort. I was mostly referring to the tire differences.

Reactions: forkee
.93 second difference in this test between Performance and AWD for $12-17,000 more. Bang for Buck. AWD.
What did ya expect? 5 second faster?

Official specs say 1 s shorter 0-60 time, that means 32% quicker car.
Above measurement seems to confirm it.

A tesla emlployee already spilled the beans ... the best bang for the buck will be the base 35k model.
Higher you go, less you get per $ payed. Economics 101.

I'm sticking with LR, still undecided on PUP. It probably will depend on base interior configuration.

What did ya expect? 5 second faster?

Official specs say 1 s shorter 0-60 time, that means 32% quicker car.
Above measurement seems to confirm it.

A tesla emlployee already spilled the beans ... the best bang for the buck will be the base 35k model.
Higher you go, less you get per $ payed. Economics 101.

I'm sticking with LR, still undecided on PUP. It probably will depend on base interior configuration.
AWD has many more benefits then just much quicker then RWD. For $4000.00 more, we'll worth it.

Reactions: JTesmod3 and svp6