TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Performance vs AWD 0-60 Side-By-Side Video

Discussion in 'Model 3: Driving Dynamics' started by Stacks, Aug 3, 2018.

1. Stacks

Stacks Member

I currently have the AWD configured and I've been considering upgrading to the Performance. I cut together a quick video that shows the comparison between the two. This helped me make up my mind and I'm hoping it's valuable to someone else too.

Source videos are in the description.

• Like x 3
    • Funny x 2
    • Helpful x 1
  2. Jedi2155

Jedi2155 Model 3 has Arrived.

So you went with the P didn't you?

• Funny x 1
  3. cab

cab Member

As interesting is comparing the AWD time to, say, Motor Trend's regular LR AWD times. The 0-30 looks to be only 0.1 seconds quicker than their RWD number. The gain over RWD all appears to come after 30 mph which seems to imply it could still feel a bit soft off the line...unfortunate. Appreciate the video!

4. rrollens

rrollens Member

.93 second difference in this test between Performance and AWD for $12-17,000 more. Bang for Buck. AWD.

• Like x 2
  5. D3xDt3Reaction

I guess it’s all relative - the P3D might be considered bang for buck compared to a P100D. Granted, it’s a different car, but in terms of 0-60 performance alone about 1 second quicker for $71000 more.

• Like x 3
  6. boriszima

boriszima Member

This video shows P-AWD 3.2 vs AWD of 4.13 ? There is that one second difference but both cars are running .3 seconds faster than advertised?

• Like x 1
  7. D3xDt3Reaction

I think the numbers after the decimal points are frame counters (maybe 30fps) and not hundredths of seconds.

• Helpful x 1
  8. PessimiStick

PessimiStick Member

They're frame counters.

3.67 for P and 4.43 for AWD

• Helpful x 2
  9. TurnFast

TurnFast Member

It helped, but my Vin assignment can't come soon enough. It's a daily struggle to stop myself from switching to the P.

• Funny x 1
  10. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

Switch now or you will regret ...;):eek:

• Like x 2
  11. insaneoctane

insaneoctane Active Member

I'd love to see a 3 way including RWD!

12. Jedi2155

Jedi2155 Model 3 has Arrived.

Don't be like me! I regretted not switching back to AWD when I had the chance and now i'm stuck with RWD!

• Funny x 1
  13. Stacks

Stacks Member

Yeah, In hindsight, I should have done that.

14. KenF

KenF Member

#14 KenF, Aug 5, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2018
    Do we know how the P and non-P compare for 0-30?

Edit: Looks like 1.73 for P and 2.10 for AWD

15. forkee

forkee Member

#15 forkee, Aug 5, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2018
    I got 1.64 for P

Should be half a sec faster if it's going to be a whole sec difference to 60

Screenshot_20180805-231733_dragy.jpg

• Love x 1
  16. S4WRXTTCS

S4WRXTTCS Active Member

I don't really trust using numbers from someone's cell phone app or the in car digital display.

I can't wait for an actual drag race.

My deciding factor really comes down to the trying to decide between a solid go-cart like car, or a great go-cart like car.

I do tend to like go-cart type cars (like a Porsche Cayman) where I sacrifice comfort for handling. The P version is a $15K question because I don't think I'll get it without the performance package (or spending that money on after market stuff).

17. forkee

forkee Member

You have to realize the dragy is not just an app. it's a tested, tried, and proven gps data logger on par with actual drag results. As for any reservations whether or not they're doctored numbers, only valid results are uploaded directly from the device. The Porsche Cayman is hardly a go cart car, let alone saying that it sacrifices comfort. Lotus Exige or the Ariel atom comes to my mind when sacrificing comfort for handling. The performance package upgrade will not net you any discernable difference unless it includes "track" mode which is still in development anyways....

Just my 2c...

• Like x 8
  18. S4WRXTTCS

S4WRXTTCS Active Member

I wasn't referring to the numbers you posted. The numbers you posted are right in line with the specs, and with road and track claimed.

The handling of the Porsche Cayman is highly regarded. Sure there are other cars that sacrifice it more, and both the cars you listed are ones that I've wanted. I couldn't get the Lotus because I don't fit, and I couldn't get the Ariel Atom because of questions about licensing it in WA state.

So basically the Porsche Cayman was as go-cart as I could get, and I also vastly prefer Mid-Engine. Hence why I like EV's that have the battery underneath as they mimic the same weight balance.

Oh, and I certainly did sacrifice comfort with the Cayman. The rattles alone made me want to drive it off a cliff.

As to track mode I'm not sure how it can change anything about comfort. I was mostly referring to the tire differences.

• Like x 1
  19. WarpedOne

WarpedOne Supreme Premier

What did ya expect? 5 second faster?

Official specs say 1 s shorter 0-60 time, that means 32% quicker car.
    Above measurement seems to confirm it.

A tesla emlployee already spilled the beans ... the best bang for the buck will be the base 35k model.
    Higher you go, less you get per $ payed. Economics 101.

I'm sticking with LR, still undecided on PUP. It probably will depend on base interior configuration.

20. rrollens

rrollens Member

AWD has many more benefits then just much quicker then RWD. For $4000.00 more, we'll worth it.

• Like x 2