Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance vs AWD 0-60 Side-By-Side Video

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You are missing the point. The reason it is only $5k for the current PUP is because Tesla doesn’t have to also give you all the lower end parts too. What I’m saying is that you could make a slightly less fancy version of the PUP available to non-P purchases for 20% less than $5k.

It will be interesting to see just what track mode entails. I bet there is a lot that can be done. How much Tesla allows probably depends on what components are breaking and whether they decide use of track mode automatically affects warranty.

If they declare that some portions of the warranty are void after XX minutes of track mode (i.e. anything more than a small showoff/autocross) they could allow more that the customer could adjust and potentially break. If they decide to maintain the warranty then the allowed parameters will probably need to be conservative prevent long term damage.

1. Cooling the components more aggressively, at the expense of battery life perhaps.
2. Adjustment of the allowed wheel slip vs how aggressively the brakes will work to reduce wheel slip on acceleration.
3. Adjustment of the set points and level for reduced power mode due to heat soak.
4. Perhaps an overall temporary HP output increase, like ludicrous mode.
5. Driver feedback mode, so the main UI would provide useful race information like instant G force, component temp, lap time, section time ect.

Maybe they will release it for all cars, who knows. It would be a good excuse to void warranties ;) Would be awesome to see a bunch of Tesla modded for weekend race duty :cool:

I'm one of the many debating between the 3D and P3D. I drove the RWD version, and loved everything about the car except for the somewhat soft launch performance. I drove a new S100D that day, and was satisfied with the acceleration of that car (0-60 4.1). I put in an order for a 3D based on the forum chatter that it has much more punch off the line than the RWD version, and some even say the butt dyno feels similar between a 3D and P3D. That sounded like enough to satisfy me.

I just came back from test driving a P3D, and it was night and day in acceleration relative to the 3 (RWD) I drove earlier in the month. I didn't expect the difference to be so great. Nevertheless, I love that thrust, but would still be satisfied with a notch down. I don't think I'd be happy with the RWD, so my question lies in the butt dyno feel of the 3D relative to the 3 and P3D. The Tesla salesman said he thinks the 3D feels very similar in acceleration to the 3 (RWD), and he sometimes has trouble telling them apart. This concerns me, as I have not driven a 3D and I don't want to be disappointed upon taking delivery. Upgrading to the P3D will be met with strong resistance from the spouse, so what I'm really trying to get a feel for is the butt dyno feeling between the 3 models. I really wish I could drive the 3D, as all this would be put to rest and I could make a "fact-based" decision, alas it isn't an option. I see many posts from people that are happy with the acceleration of the 3D, but I'm not sure what car/background they are coming from, which will set their personal barometer. My current DD is a Cayenne Turbo, so I'm used to a bit of thrust and don't want a downgrade in that regard.

Nevertheless, I'd love to hear some anecdotes between the P3D and 3D from anyone that's driven both. I know the numbers, but what I'm interested in is the "feel"/whoosh. Thanks for humoring me!

Reactions: KenF
I'm one of the many debating between the 3D and P3D. I drove the RWD version, and loved everything about the car except for the somewhat soft launch performance. I drove a new S100D that day, and was satisfied with the acceleration of that car (0-60 4.1). I put in an order for a 3D based on the forum chatter that it has much more punch off the line than the RWD version, and some even say the butt dyno feels similar between a 3D and P3D. That sounded like enough to satisfy me.

I just came back from test driving a P3D, and it was night and day in acceleration relative to the 3 (RWD) I drove earlier in the month. I didn't expect the difference to be so great. Nevertheless, I love that thrust, but would still be satisfied with a notch down. I don't think I'd be happy with the RWD, so my question lies in the butt dyno feel of the 3D relative to the 3 and P3D. The Tesla salesman said he thinks the 3D feels very similar in acceleration to the 3 (RWD), and he sometimes has trouble telling them apart. This concerns me, as I have not driven a 3D and I don't want to be disappointed upon taking delivery. Upgrading to the P3D will be met with strong resistance from the spouse, so what I'm really trying to get a feel for is the butt dyno feeling between the 3 models. I really wish I could drive the 3D, as all this would be put to rest and I could make a "fact-based" decision, alas it isn't an option. I see many posts from people that are happy with the acceleration of the 3D, but I'm not sure what car/background they are coming from, which will set their personal barometer. My current DD is a Cayenne Turbo, so I'm used to a bit of thrust and don't want a downgrade in that regard.

Nevertheless, I'd love to hear some anecdotes between the P3D and 3D from anyone that's driven both. I know the numbers, but what I'm interested in is the "feel"/whoosh. Thanks for humoring me!
The 3D is also soft off the line. I'm pretty sure it's going to feel slower than a Cayenne Turbo. It's still plenty for my purposes but it does not have a drag race type launch. After 60mph the P3D and 3D are identical as far as I can tell.
Really it's more psychological than real though. My Lexus GX470 feels about as fast off the line. I measured both with my VBOX and they both pull 0.7G peak. The difference is the 3D keeps pulling all the way to 60mph. I clocked the 3D at 4.55s (4.26s with 1 foot rollout), the Lexus was 7.8s.

Last edited:

It’s DEFINITELY very close to a RWD off the line. The 1 second difference between the P3D and 3D is in the first 0-30. Videos of an AWD vs RWD have them basically neck and neck off the line, but the AWD starts pulling away after 60ft.

Kinda sucks :(

It’s DEFINITELY very close to a RWD off the line. The 1 second difference between the P3D and 3D is in the first 0-30. Videos of an AWD vs RWD have them basically neck and neck off the line, but the AWD starts pulling away after 60ft.

Kinda sucks :(
It could be worse. I'm glad they nerfed it from 0-40 vs. 40mph+. The acceleration from a roll is amazing and much more useful.

You have to be careful with these videos since the camera perspective can be deceiving and often it's just one car having a bad launch. But this video looks to me like the AWD is pulling away immediately (it's already more than a car length ahead after a second or two):

I have an AWD and have test-driven the P-AWD shortly before I received my car. In my (very subjective) opinion the experience doesn't differ dramatically between the two. Compared to a Model S with Ludicrous they both launch rather softly, but they are by no means slow. I have driven an RWD as well, but that was several months ago which makes it hard to compare. My most recent benchmark is a BMW 340i which was my daily driver for the last two years. It has a similar passing performance, but is obviously missing the instant torque (on the other hand, the Teslas seem to run out of steam a bit earlier at higher than legal speeds, but that is irrelevant for me).

The 3D is also soft off the line. I'm pretty sure it's going to feel slower than a Cayenne Turbo. It's still plenty for my purposes but it does not have a drag race type launch. After 60mph the P3D and 3D are identical as far as I can tell.
Really it's more psychological than real though. My Lexus GX470 feels about as fast off the line. I measured both with my VBOX and they both pull 0.7G peak. The difference is the 3D keeps pulling all the way to 60mph. I clocked the 3D at 4.55s (4.26s with 1 foot rollout), the Lexus was 7.8s.

Having owned both an RWD and AWD nonP I agree that off the line they feel the same, that ever so slight lag. No technical measurement just my opinion. Never driven a P to compare. Have driven an S and don’t recall that slight lag on that.

• Informative
Reactions: nogassnorlax
What did ya expect? 5 second faster?

Official specs say 1 s shorter 0-60 time, that means 32% quicker car.
Above measurement seems to confirm it.

A tesla emlployee already spilled the beans ... the best bang for the buck will be the base 35k model.
Higher you go, less you get per $ payed. Economics 101.

I'm sticking with LR, still undecided on PUP. It probably will depend on base interior configuration.
Agreed! PLUS HOW FAST DO YOU WANT TO FRICKING GOOOOO?? I have several friends that have "P" S & X and never launch them! Its ridiculous FAST as we all know, but how often are you going to run the risk of a ticket or worse accident? PLUS I HAVE SPEEDING TICKETS ALREADY!!!:D

Having owned both an RWD and AWD nonP I agree that off the line they feel the same, that ever so slight lag. No technical measurement just my opinion. Never driven a P to compare. Have driven an S and don’t recall that slight lag on that.

This is an interesting perspective, as most others that have driven both the RWD and AWD claim the AWD feels like it has a stronger punch off the line. Do you think the two cars feel the same in the rest of the acceleration (or at-speed) range, as well?

• Informative
This is an interesting perspective, as most others that have driven both the RWD and AWD claim the AWD feels like it has a stronger punch off the line. Do you think the two cars feel the same in the rest of the acceleration (or at-speed) range, as well?
Most others? I haven’t seen anyone with a RWD and non-P AWD report a significant difference off the line. Based on my experience, the RWD and non-P AWD are similar from 0-30.

AWD 4.55s 0-60, 4.26s w/ 1 foot rollout (VBOX Sport)

After 30mph, the AWD seems much quicker than the RWD, more comparable to the P, but testing data shows that the P is still about 20% faster from 30-60.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Most others? I haven’t seen anyone with a RWD and non-P AWD report a significant difference off the line. Based on my experience, the RWD and non-P AWD are similar from 0-30.

AWD 4.55s 0-60, 4.26s w/ 1 foot rollout (VBOX Sport)

After 30mph, the AWD seems much quicker than the RWD, more comparable to the P, but testing data shows that the P is still about 20% faster from 30-60.

They are scattered throughout various threads. For example, Deuce24 discusses his experience starting at post #99; Anxiously waiting an AWD review / videos

I'm asking because I've driven a P3D and 3 (RWD), but never a 3D (which is what I have on order). Thanks!