Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Performance" vs. "Impact"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

bmah

Moderator, Supercharger Hunter
Global Moderator
Mar 17, 2015
Lafayette, CA, USA
I was doing some off-grid testing on my Powerwalls today, and I have noticed some of the time the mobile app displays a menu item and graphic for "Performance" (what I am accustomed to) and other times it has a graphic for "Impact". At first I thought it was because I just had a newer version of software loaded, but now I'm back to seeing "Performance".

What's the difference and why would I see one over the other?

Running 1.40.2 on the Powerwalls, iOS app 3.10.09. Rooftop solar from Solar City, installed about 8 years ago. Powerwalls were installed in March of this year.

Thanks for any clues,

Bruce.

I noticed it as well. Right now it says Performance and I'm discharging from the Powerwall... Just a guess, but maybe it's based on what the Powerwalls are doing (discharging, or charging), and based on the amount you net meter back vs. consume from the grid...

Makes sense...I (along with a Tesla Energy technician) was doing some testing, so we were perhaps operating it in a different regime than it normally runs.

Thanks,

Bruce.

Makes sense...I (along with a Tesla Energy technician) was doing some testing, so we were perhaps operating it in a different regime than it normally runs.

Thanks,

Bruce.
Hey Bruce, how are you liking the Powerwalls? With out planned safety outage coming up I'm really considering them now. I never thought about them before because they didn't seem to make financial sense.

Hey Bruce, how are you liking the Powerwalls? With out planned safety outage coming up I'm really considering them now. I never thought about them before because they didn't seem to make financial sense.

Ask me again after the Public Safety Power Shutdown (if it happens, as appears likely). :)

The Powerwalls' Stormwatch mode topped off the batteries from the grid, so that part's ready. So far all the off-grid testing I've done has gone great, but so far I haven't run these for more than a few hours.

The main reason I had these installed was for load shifting / cost savings (as an alternative to installing more rooftop solar), but the reason that really pushed me to do this was actually a 9-hour power outage we had last year (nothing to do with wildfires or intentional power shutdowns...I think someone drove into a utility pole or something stupid like that).

Bruce.

I was doing some off-grid testing on my Powerwalls today, and I have noticed some of the time the mobile app displays a menu item and graphic for "Performance" (what I am accustomed to) and other times it has a graphic for "Impact". At first I thought it was because I just had a newer version of software loaded, but now I'm back to seeing "Performance".

What's the difference and why would I see one over the other?

Running 1.40.2 on the Powerwalls, iOS app 3.10.09. Rooftop solar from Solar City, installed about 8 years ago. Powerwalls were installed in March of this year.

Thanks for any clues,

Bruce.
It depends on the operation mode. If it is in Backup mode, it says Impact. In any other modes (Self-Powered or TBC), it says Performance. Not sure what it says when it is off-grid.

Ask me again after the Public Safety Power Shutdown (if it happens, as appears likely). :)

The Powerwalls' Stormwatch mode topped off the batteries from the grid, so that part's ready. So far all the off-grid testing I've done has gone great, but so far I haven't run these for more than a few hours.

The main reason I had these installed was for load shifting / cost savings (as an alternative to installing more rooftop solar), but the reason that really pushed me to do this was actually a 9-hour power outage we had last year (nothing to do with wildfires or intentional power shutdowns...I think someone drove into a utility pole or something stupid like that).

Bruce.
Yeah. PGE doesn't look like it's going to get BETTER from here so I'm looking into a few options. I have investigated PW before but couldn't make the numbers pencil out but maybe a couple of them would make sense. Staring down the possibility of a multi-day outage I'm thinking I might want to buy a smaller NG generator for critical loads (fridge, AC, certain lights) and PWs for short outages and load shifting.