Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance vs Long Range AWD: Operating Cost…

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you're triggering the nannies during "normal driving" on the road, you're driving like a menace, taking corners way too fast and are right on the edge of traction. Track mode doesn't change anything when you're doing straight line acceleration.

Reminder that track mode disables all sorts of stuff in the car like cruise control, AP, and navigating, and requires you to dig into a menu every time you put the car in drive, so you're not going to be driving around in this mode on your day to day driving.

If you've never had a car to the track, you don't have a need for track mode, and once you have a car on the track you know what is reasonable on the street.
@gearchruncher I don't use Track Mode in normal driving. I have driven on race tracks (HPDE / track days, not wheel-to-wheel racing). I am not able to fit actual track time into my life currently, but I am lucky enough that I get to (and have to!) drive on very twisty, low-traffic rural roads on a regular basis. The M3P is also fun enough that I go for the occasional middle-of-the-night spin around empty highway ramps.

I expect I'll like Track Mode in the snow too, though I haven't driven my M3P in the snow yet and won't at all this winter. In winter driving - back when I had real winters - I'm very used to being able to spin wheels and control my car in slides in the snow. It's fun and sometimes it's very useful. No I'm not sliding around in the snow in neighborhoods or cities or in front of anybody's home! Again think rural roads, empty parking lots, etc. Though some wheelspin can be really helpful anywhere for getting through deep unplowed snow.

I brought up Track Mode because I suspect stability control and traction control behavior/intrusiveness might matter to someone asking about damping differences between LR and P. Nothing the P brings to the table over the LR is needed or useful in normal driving. Not the extra acceleration, not the better brakes, and not Track Mode. The P doesn't have better damping, but if it did that would be unnecessary for normal driving too. What the P adds to the LR is all about extra driving enjoyment when circumstances and situation allow. Organized driving events like track days, autox, rallies, etc are great places for that. But I don't consider it wrong to drive fast on empty public roads away from people, homes, and other cars.

I hope that helps give some context!