Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance vs Long Range vs SR+ (still undecided...)

Which Model 3 would you choose?

• SR+

Votes: 16 18.2%
  • LR AWD

Votes: 36 40.9%
  • P3D+

Votes: 36 40.9%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all,

I thought I'd post a new thread on this topic even though the question has been asked many times.

My dilemma: after waiting 4 months from order date to being allocated a hidden VIN I have had way too much time to toss up between the P3D+ I have on order vs the "more sensible" LR AWD. Actually, it's been so long now I've even taken an SR+ for a test drive and even that is in the mix now.

The trouble is that all the Model 3's are good cars. If the only thing that existed was an SR+ then I would be more than happy with it as my first Tesla. The SR+ is quicker than I thought, and the lack of front motors make the steering a bit more "natural". I also really like the 18" wheels and the Aero covers.

The LR AWD is faster again, plus you get all that extra battery range and the premium interior (audio is the big one for me).

Then there is a P3D+ which is a beast in terms of acceleration, but I really don't like the 20" wheels. The rest of the "performance upgrade" I can take or leave (eg: spoiler, lowered, alloy pedals, larger brakes).

The "stealth performance" or P3D- is the absolute sweet spot for me, but after 4 months of searching I can't find one and Tesla are very tight-lipped about whether or not they will make any more.

So therefore is comes down the following choice:
SR+ (cheap & cheerful)
LR AWD (middle of the road)
P3D+ (expensive and high maintenance)

Thoughts/comments appreciated...

• Informative
Reactions: Left coast
I suggest you evaluate your driving habits. Look at your longest daily driving routes and record your gas vehicle driving mileage for a week.
Calculate the frequency & distances of longer road trips you take, & located the charging facilities on these routes.
For example if your longest daily driving route is 100 miles - in extreme winter conditions you could need up to 200 miles of range to compensate for added heating power draw.
Sound systems, wheels and tires could always be customized/upgraded aftermarket.
Good luck with your decision.

Oooh. I can't imagine upgrading the Tesla sound system with anything aftermarket.
why not? it's just a car. there are plenty of resources on how to do it correctly and as long as the '20 partial premium models still include the deactivated speakers, you can do it without completely breaking the bank, and still have mostly Tesla components.

now that winter is here i wish i had opted for the LR RWD in the least. i've noticed a 30-40% drop in range and while it still gets me through the day, i would have preferred the peace of mind.

Just wait for another batch of P3D- cars to be released since that is what you want most. It will happen. It keeps happening, they just don't show in inventory. Find a good owner advisor at one of the stores and have them run a search for you every so often. Also stalk this forum because people usually post when new ones show up.

Just wait for another batch of P3D- cars to be released since that is what you want most. It will happen. It keeps happening, they just don't show in inventory. Find a good owner advisor at one of the stores and have them run a search for you every so often. Also stalk this forum because people usually post when new ones show up.

Is that the case even in OPs location, which shows as "Austraila"?

Good point, I am not sure as I am in the US. I would assume they would do the same other places as they try to pump up sales at the end of the quarters. That's what they do here. They usually show up towards the end of the quarter. It would be a bummer for him to buy a LR AWD and then the following week a whole slew of stealth's show up. He would regret it I image if that's what he really wants.

Melbourne doesn't appear to get as cold as it does in NC (not that we get that cold), but if you like heat at all and have decent commutes I recommend the LR.

I used 30% of my LR battery yesterday while only driving 38.5 miles due to cabin preheating, and driving while set to 72F (which isn't high). I did have about 6 stops throughout the day, but when I preheated it wasn't like I did it for 20 minutes before driving (5 at most). Average WH/mile for the day was 351, and it wasn't because I was stomping on the accelerator (I drive in chill mode these days).

More reasons why I like the LR pack: My 210-mile drive to the beach typically requires about 90% of my LR battery. This is averaging around 70-72MPH, with periods at 75.

My point being, when looking at range subtract 20% and see if you can live with that. I['m not saying you could never drive your rated range, but if you want zero compromises with things like climate control, driving style, etc I suggest making that adjustment.

I have the SR+ and completely satisfied with it, can't use something even faster. Used to think I needed a long range but it has proven not to be a factor. Done a few 800km + trips without issue!
Even the sound is as good if not better than I've ever had.
Wanting & needing are two different beasts
No bad choice to be made IMO.

Other than maybe needing a winter wheels/tires set....I'm not sure I understand the "high maintenance" part.

Tire cost will be significantly higher and will also wear significantly faster. Likely the OP will also need two sets of rims. The upside is that the tires are best thing you can spend money on to improve the safety of the car. Also, the handling of the car is significantly improved if you like "spirited driving"

Tire cost will be significantly higher and will also wear significantly faster. Likely the OP will also need two sets of rims. The upside is that the tires are best thing you can spend money on to improve the safety of the car. Also, the handling of the car is significantly improved if you like "spirited driving"

Hmmm....depends on how well you take care of them, and your driving style, but a P3D's tire budget won't be significantly more than any other Model 3's, unless you're tracking it.

All Model 3's will spend more on tires than, say, a Corolla...but that's just considered the cost of "paying to play" by most of us.

Good point, I am not sure as I am in the US.
Yes I am in Australia, which limits the number of cars we get shipped due to the fact that we are a much smaller market than the US or Europe. Plus we are right-hand drive, so that limits the options even further.

• Informative
Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
Don't settle. I didn't, I ended up with the P3D-, and never have I been more in love with a vehicle than I do now. The performance stealth is in my opinion, best bang for buck by far. I thought by now, I would get buyers remorse.... nope, it puts a smile on my face every single time. And my wife loves it too! She would rather take the P3D- on roadtrips now to "save gas"..