Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

performance vs LR amateur track day

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am in for the same decision as OP right now and is it really that bad with the LR AWD regarding battery heating without the overdrive from the track mode for 2021 models? I heard that the cooling got better, is that right?

What exactly will I miss when I am not able to turn off TC? I mean, I can still learn how the TC works in the LR and then push the lap times or am I thinking into the wrong direction? Brakes are also not really better in the performance from what I have read. When you upgrade pads and fluid, is there still much of a difference?

I am in for the same decision as OP right now and is it really that bad with the LR AWD regarding battery heating without the overdrive from the track mode for 2021 models? I heard that the cooling got better, is that right?

What exactly will I miss when I am not able to turn off TC? I mean, I can still learn how the TC works in the LR and then push the lap times or am I thinking into the wrong direction? Brakes are also not really better in the performance from what I have read. When you upgrade pads and fluid, is there still much of a difference?
There are aftermarket solutions to battery overheating available. But they aren't official and might stop working one day. Same, there is a solution to turn off TC, but for novice it's a too steep loss of traction support. You can't really learn TC, it will stop you from turning a car by brakes, lower your power output and will do everything to make sure you're not coming close to traction limits. It's very useful on a street and very frustrating on a track. Performance brakes with changed rotors, pads and fluid is completely viable solution for novice. You still have to cool down every other lap.

LR brakes is much easier to miss first signs of overheat and end up suddenly without any brakes just when you need them.

You anyway going to need suspension and camber arms at least. And then probably wider and thicker tires.

You can drive LR on the track. But if you're not experienced, it's harder to have fun. Unless you want to just have a calm ride, then sure LR is fine.

Reactions: Flol