Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance vs non-performance 85Kw

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've driven both the performance and non-performance sedans back to back. 0 to 40 the acceleration feels almost identical. Above 40 mph the performance has almost a "violent" surge of acceleration that is exhilarating. The non-performance is extremely quick as well and it has the same (but subtly less) instantaneous torque of the performance; more than any gas powered similar sized vehicle. The cost difference is due, in part to the larger dual electronics that power the electric motor with more coil wrappings. Right brain says go for the non-performance unless you are going to use the car on the track because the acceleration is so close in feel. However left brain still lusts for the performance model because it is,in many ways, no longer a sedan but a high performance sports car. Also wondering if performance will command higher resale now and going forward making it a more "practical" investment. Still pondering these two alternatives.

After driving my perf for a couple days I can honestly say you don't need the performance alone. It's scary fast. I do love the CF and alcantra headliner and piping though. I'm glad I got it, but it's stupid fast.
The problem is indeed I don't need the performance version, but the little kid inside me says I want the performance version. Nobody needs 4.4 seconds, but everybody wants it.

The pearl-white with grey tires, the CF accents and the black interior with red piping is just so cool.

Well done Tesla! You almost convinced me to spend another 8k.

Last edited:
After driving my perf for a couple days I can honestly say you don't need the performance alone. It's scary fast. I do love the CF and alcantra headliner and piping though. I'm glad I got it, but it's stupid fast.

Stupid fun. At 40-45 if you need to pass someone and get to 65 hahaha Stooopid fast
Pretty exciting though. We don't have amusement parks for many miles - now I have a rollercoaster

Do all cars have the alcantara headliner?

I've driven both the performance and non-performance sedans back to back. 0 to 40 the acceleration feels almost identical. Above 40 mph the performance has almost a "violent" surge of acceleration that is exhilarating. The non-performance is extremely quick as well and it has the same (but subtly less) instantaneous torque of the performance; more than any gas powered similar sized vehicle. The cost difference is due, in part to the larger dual electronics that power the electric motor with more coil wrappings. Right brain says go for the non-performance unless you are going to use the car on the track because the acceleration is so close in feel. However left brain still lusts for the performance model because it is,in many ways, no longer a sedan but a high performance sports car. Also wondering if performance will command higher resale now and going forward making it a more "practical" investment. Still pondering these two alternatives.
Great review!

Perf seats have Alcantara bolsters on the sides and just behind the neck, to hold you in place better. You can see the difference in pictures and the design studio...the Alcantara has more of a grippy suede texture, rather than the smooth leather feel.

I broke my tail bone, so seats are an issue for me. The sales rep told me the seat frame is the same for both versions of the car. However, after sitting for about 15 minutes in each car, I felt the seats in the performance car to be more comfortable (slightly more padding). The performance car was brand new (being prepped for customer delivery) while the non-performance model was the demo car, so it is possible that the seats in the non-performance mode were "worn" in comparison to the performance seats.

I think you were feeling the difference between earlier seats and production seats.

The real differences are the piping and alcantara. The black leather with red piping looks really good: quite a few people have upgraded just to get the red piping.

You get alcantara on the side bolsters, thigh bolsters and you get alcantara headliner (roof lining). The alcantara headliner is really nice. If the piping with the tan had been copper or bronze instead of grey, I would have been sorely tempted to get the Perf just for the nicer interior.

I had the chance this weekend to switch cars with Chris, who owns a Performance (with 21" wheels). I've got 85kWh with 19" wheels, other than that, the cars are identical (OK, I really do like the Alcantara over the cloth. And the carbon fiber trim...).

We've both had our cars a few months now, and we've gotten "used" to them, so I thought this would be a good test, as differences from what we thought of as "normal" would be more apparent.

Not surprisingly, the cars handled almost identically. Slightly smoother ride in mine (19" wheels), seemed to handled curves pretty much the same (we weren't on a track or really windy road, so that did limit what we could try).

The big exception, of course, is the acceleration. Below 30 MPH, the Performance model walked all over mine. The difference in acceleration is very noticeable. ABove 30, however, it starts to become less noticeable.

Seeing as how I can feel the traction control kick in with my car, I have a feeling that it's operating continuously in the Performance model. Put some racing slicks on it and I bet it'll leap forward even faster.

That was fun...

I had the chance this weekend to switch cars with Chris, who owns a Performance (with 21" wheels). I've got 85kWh with 19" wheels, other than that, the cars are identical (OK, I really do like the Alcantara over the cloth. And the carbon fiber trim...).

We've both had our cars a few months now, and we've gotten "used" to them, so I thought this would be a good test, as differences from what we thought of as "normal" would be more apparent.

Not surprisingly, the cars handled almost identically. Slightly smoother ride in mine (19" wheels), seemed to handled curves pretty much the same (we weren't on a track or really windy road, so that did limit what we could try).

The big exception, of course, is the acceleration. Below 30 MPH, the Performance model walked all over mine. The difference in acceleration is very noticeable. ABove 30, however, it starts to become less noticeable.

Seeing as how I can feel the traction control kick in with my car, I have a feeling that it's operating continuously in the Performance model. Put some racing slicks on it and I bet it'll leap forward even faster.

That was fun...

Great feedback.
Chris... what was your take - going from performance to standard, wheels and all?

Great feedback.
Chris... what was your take - going from performance to standard, wheels and all?
Pretty much the same as Doug's. Coming from the Perf, the off the line in the standard felt sluggish (sorry Doug!). Which is funny as the standard 85 acceleration crushes my old RX8, shows how quickly one gets acclimated.

After 30 mph though, I couldn't tell the difference, both rock you back in your seat. There's an old thread here showing P85 vs 85 per 10mph band that backs that with data showing the difference is slim at 30+ (Performance Data for 85 KWh Battery vs. P85 KWh Battery).

It seemed like Doug's 19" were a little smoother and had less road noise.