Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance vs. Non-Performance & an extra $10K

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
:-D Ha! Exactly my situation too.

And to the OP (I haven't read this whole thread, sorry), I'm almost in your situation, but have kids... and will probably be the secondary driver... so no performance for me. But for you, heck yes.

I've got a 2 year-old and my wife's 8 weeks pregnant (no more babies after this one!) so I will have two kids for most of my Model S's lifetime!

I've got a 2 year-old and my wife's 8 weeks pregnant (no more babies after this one!) so I will have two kids for most of my Model S's lifetime!

@transl8r too... yeah we have two kids 7 and 9, and I thought about the rear jump seats (for fiends etc), but my wife doesn't want to use this car for kid transport... she's looking for AWD with true 3rd row seating (Hmmm where have we heard of a vehicle like this before - X - ???). So I'll keep this car as my daily commuter and our out on the town car.

@transl8r too... yeah we have two kids 7 and 9, and I thought about the rear jump seats (for fiends etc), but my wife doesn't want to use this car for kid transport... she's looking for AWD with true 3rd row seating (Hmmm where have we heard of a vehicle like this before - X - ???). So I'll keep this car as my daily commuter and our out on the town car.
/chuckle
Terrible twos?

Congrats!

Thanks!

Robert.Boston said:
Buy the car you want and choose to afford.

Figuring out what I can afford is the question. I can drop cash for the entire car and have a year or two's worth of immediately liquidatable emergency fund cash left over (to pay for mortgage, living expenses, etc.) I won't be touching 401Ks, my son's 529 college savings plan, or my retirement funds. I can probably pay off my mortgage in 5 years, before I'm 40. No other debt except for about $10k remaining on my wife's near-zero-interest student loans. I bought some stock a few years ago and it made enough to pay for the performance upgrade (if you want to look at it that way). Can I "afford" the performance? I wish there were a right and clear answer...

Thanks!

Figuring out what I can afford is the question. I can drop cash for the entire car and have a year or two's worth of immediately liquidatable emergency fund cash left over (to pay for mortgage, living expenses, etc.) I won't be touching 401Ks, my son's 529 college savings plan, or my retirement funds. I can probably pay off my mortgage in 5 years, before I'm 40. No other debt except for about $10k remaining on my wife's near-zero-interest student loans. I bought some stock a few years ago and it made enough to pay for the performance upgrade (if you want to look at it that way). Can I "afford" the performance? I wish there were a right and clear answer...

With that summary, I'd say hell yes, you can afford it :).

Wife and I had "the talk" tonight to finalize the design. Performance is out. (Shucks). Oh well. I guess I wasn't 100% comfortable anyway. Maybe in 10 years I'll be in a financial position where $10K or a $100K car is a drop in the hat for me. Currently, I'm too fiscally conservative for that move.

Thanks for all of the input everyone. Although I can't do as much of the showing off, the bragging, or the lookin' as cool driving down the street (I guess I'm past the cruisin' for ladies stage anyway ;), I've still got a bangin' car. I definitely won't pull up next to a Corvette and stare it down with the standard version...but I'll still floor it every time I'm at the front of a traffic light!

Wife and I had "the talk" tonight to finalize the design. Performance is out. (Shucks). Oh well. I guess I wasn't 100% comfortable anyway. Maybe in 10 years I'll be in a financial position where $10K or a $100K car is a drop in the hat for me. Currently, I'm too fiscally conservative for that move.

Thanks for all of the input everyone. Although I can't do as much of the showing off, the bragging, or the lookin' as cool driving down the street (I guess I'm past the cruisin' for ladies stage anyway ;), I've still got a bangin' car. I definitely won't pull up next to a Corvette and stare it down with the standard version...but I'll still floor it every time I'm at the front of a traffic light!
I think you're gonna be fine, that $10k will go a long way toward your kids' education or your retirement.

I think over the long term (10yrs +) that might turn out to be true, if EVs reach the point where theyre regarded by the general public as more desirable than ICE. Before then though, I'm not so sure.

The Prius never had a problem with resale value and it too years before the general public regarded them as desirable (and many still don't). I think that the resale value will be in line with other cars in the same price range.

I'll jump in and add my 2cents worth .... I just read through the entire thread, and I think that something has not been stated here. If I remember correctly, one of the factory representatives was discussing the difference between the Performance 85 and Standard 85 packages. He stated that one would most notice the difference between the standard and performance versions in the under 60 mph times. Above that, when it comes to overtaking and passing, he said both were almost identical - to where one would not notice the difference. With the extra torque the performance car has, it will be most noticed when changing the mass of the car (4600+ lbs) from stationary to moving as is evident in the different 0 - 60 times. I drive a BMW M car - with acceleration in the mid 4 second range on 0 - 60. It can almost be scary fast, and I vary rarely use that balls-to-the-wall (sorry ladies) acceleration, but do enjoy the quickness of the car. I think that in real-world driving, the sub 6 second 0 - 60 times of the Standard 85K packatge will be way more than adequate, and if both cars have essentially the same overtaking capabilities in the 50 - 100 mph range, you have to really think about the extra cash a performance version requires. Having said that, I have priced out both a standard 85K car, and a performance 85K car, and my difference is $8500. There are actually very few full size cars that get a sub 6 second 0 - 60 time, and a very small number that are sub 5 second. I guess that realistically, we all have to ask ourselves if the difference is worth it in "real world"driving.

I'll add that I floor it much more in the roadster than I used to in the STi for all the reasons I mentioned. So while 4.4s is fast and over very quickly I make much more use of it now. I always knew I would enjoy it more even before I had the roadster - one gear, no torque curve; effortless, quiet.
Now, if you're not feeling like that ("I have a fast car but don't romp it for reasons OTHER than i don't enjoy acceleration") then don't get the perf.

@Zextra - excellent reply :)

I'll jump in and add my 2cents worth .... I just read through the entire thread, and I think that something has not been stated here. If I remember correctly, one of the factory representatives was discussing the difference between the Performance 85 and Standard 85 packages. He stated that one would most notice the difference between the standard and performance versions in the under 60 mph times. Above that, when it comes to overtaking and passing, he said both were almost identical - to where one would not notice the difference. With the extra torque the performance car has, it will be most noticed when changing the mass of the car (4600+ lbs) from stationary to moving as is evident in the different 0 - 60 times. I drive a BMW M car - with acceleration in the mid 4 second range on 0 - 60. It can almost be scary fast, and I vary rarely use that balls-to-the-wall (sorry ladies) acceleration, but do enjoy the quickness of the car. I think that in real-world driving, the sub 6 second 0 - 60 times of the Standard 85K packatge will be way more than adequate, and if both cars have essentially the same overtaking capabilities in the 50 - 100 mph range, you have to really think about the extra cash a performance version requires. Having said that, I have priced out both a standard 85K car, and a performance 85K car, and my difference is $8500. There are actually very few full size cars that get a sub 6 second 0 - 60 time, and a very small number that are sub 5 second. I guess that realistically, we all have to ask ourselves if the difference is worth it in "real world"driving.

That's pretty interesting. I'm glad to hear that people who opt out of performance still get that sweet 60-80. I personally love all the additional perks so it's more than worth it to me for wheels, leather, etc. anyway.